  • LAN
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
July 5, 2005 5:53:07 AM

Hi,
i was wondering if anyone could help with an issue i have in sharing 3
databases over VPN. i have three offices each with 2-6 workstations all
running XP Pro SP2, they are all connected using draytek 2600plus adsl
routers and seem to be fine most of the time but every so often one of
the databases cannot be accessed by the other two locations, although
the other two can still be accessed by the disfunctional computer.
it can vary which network the issue resides on. in order to deal with
this i edited the host files on all the computers and manually set the
ips.
i have also removed or disabled any firewalls and regardless of which
machine goes down i can always ping all the other machines by IP. there
are no servers running WINS all three networks are peer to peer and in
their workgroups

this has been a head scratcher for sometime and any and all help is
appreciated in adavance.

thnx

More about : resolution lan lan vpn

Anonymous
July 5, 2005 12:42:03 PM

Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL wrote:
> 802.11g wrote:
> > Hi,
> > i was wondering if anyone could help with an issue i have in sharing 3
> > databases over VPN. i have three offices each with 2-6 workstations all
> > running XP Pro SP2, they are all connected using draytek 2600plus adsl
> > routers and seem to be fine most of the time but every so often one of
> > the databases cannot be accessed by the other two locations, although
> > the other two can still be accessed by the disfunctional computer.
> > it can vary which network the issue resides on. in order to deal with
> > this i edited the host files on all the computers and manually set the
> > ips.
> > i have also removed or disabled any firewalls and regardless of which
> > machine goes down i can always ping all the other machines by IP. there
> > are no servers running WINS all three networks are peer to peer and in
> > their workgroups
> >
> > this has been a head scratcher for sometime and any and all help is
> > appreciated in adavance.
> >
> > thnx
>
> Is there a question in there somewhere? You allude to name resolution
> but don't actually identify anything is wrong with this. Did setting up
> the hosts file help?
>
> --
> WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
> Please remove the -deletethispart-. section before replying directly.
> Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Hi, Yes for along time it did seem to fix the issue, to be clear on the
issue (i appologise for my lack of transperancy) the database can be
accessed intermittently from the other networks and usually the
problematic machines can still access the other networks. i know the
issue is not a connection related problem as i can still use thr
printers cross network. i can ping the ips for each machine
successfully but when i attempt to ping the machine names i simply get
no response. i am happy to rewrite the hosts and insert them again
across the networks but i am primarily wondering if there is something
other than host files that can be run locally to help or perhaps
changing the configuration to something less adhoc
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 6:26:24 PM

802.11g wrote:
> Hi,
> i was wondering if anyone could help with an issue i have in sharing 3
> databases over VPN. i have three offices each with 2-6 workstations all
> running XP Pro SP2, they are all connected using draytek 2600plus adsl
> routers and seem to be fine most of the time but every so often one of
> the databases cannot be accessed by the other two locations, although
> the other two can still be accessed by the disfunctional computer.
> it can vary which network the issue resides on. in order to deal with
> this i edited the host files on all the computers and manually set the
> ips.
> i have also removed or disabled any firewalls and regardless of which
> machine goes down i can always ping all the other machines by IP. there
> are no servers running WINS all three networks are peer to peer and in
> their workgroups
>
> this has been a head scratcher for sometime and any and all help is
> appreciated in adavance.
>
> thnx

Is there a question in there somewhere? You allude to name resolution
but don't actually identify anything is wrong with this. Did setting up
the hosts file help?

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:53:26 AM

"802.11g" <affiliate13@gmail.com> wrote in

> Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL wrote:
>> 802.11g wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > i was wondering if anyone could help with an issue i have in
>> > sharing 3 databases over VPN. i have three offices each with 2-6
>> > workstations all running XP Pro SP2, they are all connected using
>> > draytek 2600plus adsl routers and seem to be fine most of the time
>> > but every so often one of the databases cannot be accessed by the
>> > other two locations, although the other two can still be accessed
>> > by the disfunctional computer. it can vary which network the issue
>> > resides on. in order to deal with this i edited the host files on
>> > all the computers and manually set the ips.
>> > i have also removed or disabled any firewalls and regardless of
>> > which machine goes down i can always ping all the other machines by
>> > IP. there are no servers running WINS all three networks are peer
>> > to peer and in their workgroups
>> >
>> > this has been a head scratcher for sometime and any and all help is
>> > appreciated in adavance.
>> >
>> > thnx

You have several options. First off I'd consider getting of workgroups
and going to a single domain model with Windows 2003 server or Windows
2003 Small Business Server. You will have centralized user accounts with
active dircectory coupled with Dynamic DNS which will give you name
resolution with automatic computer registration/deregistration w/ DNS
(hence Dynamic DNS) instead of workgroups. I'd also consider using
Terminal Services on your 2003 server as opposed to pulling a DB over a
DSL link. In this model you would have a main site where the server and
the database reside (preferrably the site w/ the most internet bandwidth
and the 2 remote sites would connect via RDP (remote desktop) and have a
virtual desktop that looks and feels just like a local desktop
environment (after tweaking which does require some know how that can be
researched by searching on windows terminal server profiles, etc). In
addition with a properly configured profile you can lock down the users
desktop so that they can not load additional software, screensavers, etc.
The best part about this model is that it is extremely easy to manage and
easily expandable. I have clients that started with us that originally
had 20 users with desktop PCs and nightmare issues and now have 250 users
in a terminal server/Citrix environment and there is no PC management to
speak of. Hope this gives you some direction

TD
!