Dun Dun Dun!!!! Dellianware is official

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1941413,00.asp

If this article has allready been posted forgive me, but I was wrong. Dell indeed bought alienware. For most of us here that means didly squat, a large portion of tomshardware readeers said they'd never would consider buying from alienware. But this opens up a new chapter in the computer industry. Will Dell use this purchase effectively, is this purchase to reach new markets, or is it the classic buy a company to pad the crappy looking financial statements move. One thing seems likely, Dell will have AMD because of this, or perhapes the conroe. Will Dell become a major power and make the applzelots eat their words? or will this be move michal dell regrets?

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
People shouldn't really get too upset by this. It gives Dell a far bigger step into the highj-performance market than they were ever going to get on their own, with a great brand name to boot. Prices will probably not change too much - Dell will markup more but their economies of scale will reduce the overall cost.

Just another revenue stream in a growing marketplace.

Oh, and Dell already deal with AMD cpus, you just have to look quite hard for them ;)

steveosazninvazn

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I've always like Alienwares and hated Dell with a passion, and their combo brings the two to neutral, so I guess I don't really have an opinion, except that I'm madder than ever at Dell. Not only are they out to dominate the average-computer world, but now plan on dominating the gaming world too.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I've always like Alienwares and hated Dell with a passion, and their combo brings the two to neutral, so I guess I don't really have an opinion, except that I'm madder than ever at Dell. Not only are they out to dominate the average-computer world, but now plan on dominating the gaming world too.

Why should that make you mad - what do you expect them to do - stand still and let everyone else advance past them? Without being a Dell fan, there is plenty of competition out there, not least from the self-builder. Dell do a great job for the market they are in - cheap PCs to write e-mails and browse the net and basic home business (plus professional business servers etc but that is a different discussion). If they want to move into other areas, why not.