rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I am going to build my first pc this summer and I need a monitor. I have decided on a CRT monitor because it's cheapest and I need to spend the least amount of money possible.

I am looking for a 19 inch or 20 inch monitor flatscreen that would be under 250. What are some good brands to look for? Samsung? NEC?

Any suggestions would be awsome.!

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
By this summer, you might be able to wrangle a 19" LCD for under $250.
Ask again when you're ready to buy since prices change pretty fast. Plus new models will come out by then, no doubt.

But I've heard good things on Samsung, LG, Viewsonics, NEC. Dell's are supposedly good as well.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
How do you tell a good monitor from a bad monitor?

If you can see the monitor in person try to display something that has lots of colours on it and look at colour depth. Dell, Viewsonic, NEC all make good monitors.

As for today, 19" Digital LCDs go for around $299 from Viewsonic. When you build check prices as nobly said, but you might be able to afford an LCD.

steveosazninvazn

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
What are the primary uses for this monitor? Gaming? Paper Writing? Everything else? CRT's are good for gaming, but LCD's lately have caught up. They don't smear anymore, so the only reason for a CRT now is for the price. Viewsonic makes great CRT's My friend used to use one for gaming, (Until he upgraded to a horrible WS Monitor) but anyways I think Viewsonic CRT's are the way to go.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Your best bet is to look at the monitor in person.
At that point, you can detect any ghosting or color issues. Also keep in mind that its hopefully hooked up to a good system w/ a good video card. Also, Dell's Direct Store has places for you to look at their monitors.
Keep in mind the dead pixel policy for stores/manufacturers.
Dell is 5 dead (completely dead, not stuck) - I checked with them last week since I was thinking about getting a LCD.

Other than that, I'd say read reviews on the monitor(s) you like and try to read from reputable sites (not like cnet w/ the customers who know zilch). Try to find the monitor on toms or anandtech or a good hardware site.
The only thing I look at on cnet is to see if the monitor is made so horribly that everyone has a broken one.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Well, the monitor is going to be used for gaming, watching movies, and some homework use (internet and word etc...)
I was considering a CRT because it's the cheaper way to go and have very good quality. I was planning on buying or at least looking at monitors at Best Buy and other stores to see if they would work fine.

An LCD display would be great if the price was decent for a good monitor

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Well with CRTs its alot easier to pick one. Most are pretty good, so I wouldn't worry about picking one.

For CRT's, look for the viewable screen size (usually listed) or bring a ruler.
Then the dot pitch - smaller is better. Aim for less than .25, go for a .20 or lower.

LCD's aren't bad. I'd say take a look at them if you can. You can probably get a decent one. Remember that the refresh rate is somewhat important.
Hopefully they'll let you play a game or a movie on the LCD, which should let you detect artifacts, ghosting, etc.

Remember that specs are important, but most important is how you like it. If you like one and can't tell any ghosting, etc, don't write it off just because it has a 20ms refresh. If you can't tell, then you won't be able to tell w/ one w/ a smaller refresh. (In theory, but other factors contribute to that too).

For $250, an LCD, you might haev to settle for analog (15-pin) input. But hey, if you don't have DVI to begin with, who cares? :)

Here's an envision widescreen for 250:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Envision-19-LCD-Monitor-H191W-/sem/rpsm/oid/147648/catOid/-12965/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

acer for 270
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Monitor-AL1916S-/sem/rpsm/oid/138184/catOid/-12965/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

check out newegg, they've got benq, viewsonics, hyundais for under 250ish.

Also remember that LCD measurements are real. 19" = 19"viewable.
CRT's don't follow that rule.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Thanks for the info. I think I will end up getting a 19 inch CRT monitor because then it may be cheaper than the LCD (depending on what I get) and I can save a few bucks and put that towards a better GPU.