7900GT or X1800 for 61' Sony HDTV

jgalvan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
To all,

I was supposed to be getting my new evga 7900 GT OC today, but the wonderful people at zip zoom junk said they made a mistake and it didn't ship because it was back ordered and not really shipped like the told me. Anyway, this gave me time to peruse the fine forums here and now I'm wondering if it wasn't a good thing I didn't get it. Here's why:

1. will play all games on sony gran wega 61' with max of 1080i and will usually play at 720p. this is the only display is use for the computer

2. Seems like the games that I will play BF2 and COD2 have higher frame rates on the x1800. FS2004 looks like a wash on both

3. this will also be my dvd player because of the ability of programs to upscale to 1080i and it seems the ATi has the better video ability

Here's my concern: I previously had a Ati 9600pro? and it was horrible at setting up to work on the HDTV. Also, always seemed to have driver problems. With my current Nvidia card 7600 Oc works great and it was easy setting my HDTV to dispay poperly no need for powerstrip of some other program. Just picked the setting from a list and bam! all done.

Has Ati improved their drivers and software or should i stick with the 7900 GT?

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Stick with the 7900 GT. It's a bit faster than the 1800, by a slim margin. Besides, both companies have video software (like for movies and stuff), but I don't know much about them. I think they come with the cards, rather than with the drivers online.

jgalvan

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
wanted to stay under 400 dollars as if i can. sorry just looked at my original post and my less than adequate job spelling. too much reading and typing at the same time. my apologies.