new asus a8n-sli premium setup, ps problem?

AgentIce

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Hey all, I recently switched over to the asus a8n-sli premium from a dfi nf4 expert because I was having cold boot issues with the dfi. On that one I'd get no video if I did a reboot or sometimes just when I started the comp.

So I just got done setting up the asus, started up fine but I accidentally had my sata drive hooked into the raid sata section so I turned it off and switched it over to teh regular sata section. This time when I booted I had the no video problem again, but the computer seemed to be starting up normally (single beep, hds/fans going etc, just no video). Since the only thing I changed was hooking up the sata connector to the mobo I turned the comp off and unplugged the sata. Sure enough I have video again.

Is this a power supply issue? When I turned the computer off the last time I unplugged the power and turned the 1/0 switch to off, when I turned it back on I heard a mild pop from the ps. Very mild, no smoke smell or anything like that though, and the comp has been sitting in the bios screen for about 15 minutes now.

Lastly can anyone link me to a beginning faq/tutorial for this board? I saw one before that was great but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks

AgentIce

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I just tried turning it off again and pluggin the sata back in, this time it started fine... so it's somewhat random. What do you guys think? I'm installing XP now we'll see how that goes.

AgentIce

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Ok so I've got XP installed along with the motherboard drivers that came with the board and the latest Nvidia drivers. Once I stuck in the 2nd card I found that from a cold system I had to try about 3-4 boots before the video comes up, but it seems to be stable now that its up. Also seems to warm boot just fine. So is this a power supply problem? How do I test?

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
I don't know what you need to check first...

Since it seems to be related to your sata connection, i'd start there first. I think i remember an issue with one of the bios revisions and the sata controllers, you might check that out...I think i read it in the bios notes of one of the Asus a8n-sli del/prem boards i've had...

The only thing i can think to check in regards to the psu, is by swapping out another good 24pin psu...however what are the chances you'd have one...

Good luck

jordanaustin

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Well, I saw your post here and decided to pitch in. First off, what happened to you, happened almost identically to me.

I was just chilling out playing Call of Duty 2 one day when bam everything shut off. I powered on and got no post. So I thought crap, my ati x1800 went out. So I called ATI and they agreed that was the problem. so I bought an x1900, this time with a 3 year warranty. And when it finally got back, no post again.

So in my feat of rage I called asus, and amd, about getting my board fixed. I wasn't sure if it was the processor or board as I didn't have another processor just laying around, and I had tried everything I could on the board. So I thought heck, why not get them both replaced. So I spent 20 bucks to send both back to the appropriate places, they should be arriving their today and shipping back.

Well, like you I thought I would do some poking around and find out if anyone else was having these no post issues when I came across this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?DEPA=0&Type=&Item=N82E16813131524&SortField=3&SummaryType=ALL&Pagesize=&Page=
Apparently I'm not the only one who bought this board and for the first time in history, had problems with an asus board. Tons of people are having problems getting the board to post, so they send the board back, and a replacement comes with no issues. I don't know if it's a flaw in the board or what, but this really is hurting Asus's image. So, I'm waiting on my new board in the mail as we speak and thought I'd save you some of the heartache.

Also to note, a lot of other users are having to send the board back to asus as soon as they get it because it doesn't support their processor. So I guess it coulda been worse. Just wish I would of held off on buying this board instead of trusting asus as I'm use to like most of the community.

Good Luck.