Sign in with
Your question

Is the AGP slot dead or did I fry the mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 23, 2006 3:23:17 AM

I was having a problem lately with my systim hangin up at post. It would get as far as the "Asus" screen then hang up there. Being that I hadn't cleaned the suckah in a while I opened up the case and went at it "gently" with some copressed air. Booted it up downstairs with an old 14 inch monitor I keep for testing and everything went fine. Took it upstairs and booted it up and I get nada

The machine fires up, the fans whir on CPU, GPU etc. and the thing beeps like it's booting but I get NO graphic throughput at all. I tried reseating the graphics card (which I hadn't touched by the way) and nada. Tried an old card that I know works and nada.

There is a voice code talking at boot up but I can't tell what' the heck it's saying it's so garbled. I'm at wits end. Don't know what to try next. Should I try resetting the bios? Don't know how to do it if I'm getting no visual. My system is as follows.

Athlon FX 53
i GIG of OCZ Ram'
HIS X800 XT PE with Ice II Cooling.
Asus A8V Deluxe Mobo.
Latest bios and vid card drivers.

Thanks in advance...

Da Worfster

More about : agp slot dead fry mobo

March 23, 2006 1:34:20 PM

Initially it sounds like a mobo/Power issue. Have you tried it down on the 14" monitor again?
March 23, 2006 1:59:47 PM

Quote:
Initially it sounds like a mobo/Power issue. Have you tried it down on the 14" monitor again?
Yeah tried old monitor, switched out AGP cards etc... It's a mobo problem. ASUS suggests that I reset the CMOS using jumbers. Problem with that is they say I have to pull everything off the friggin board to do it. Sigh... That sucks.

Thanks..

Da Worfster
March 24, 2006 6:07:40 PM

So it works with the 14 inch monitor but not with your regular monitor. Have you tried the regular monitor on another computer to make sure it works?

I find it odd that it works on one monitor but not the next and Asus says its a mobo problem?!!!!
!