Control panel fails after SP2 installation

I installed SP2 on Dell laptop this week. Now Control
Panel gives error messages and opens with multiple
(hundreds) of copies of the several items.

Any ideas?

"Bernard Abramson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I installed SP2 on Dell laptop this week. Now Control
>Panel gives error messages and opens with multiple
>(hundreds) of copies of the several items.

Deinstall the SP2 and reinstall it. Something seems to have failed
during the installation. Make sure that no software is running in the
background when you install the SP2.

--
(tm)

I have a similar problem except I do not get duplicate programs, just error
pop ups on my Dell Dimension L PC which was upgraded from ME to XP. I have
already tried the uninstall and reinstall SP2 making sure nothing is running
and I still get the errors. The Error Logs all read "The Application
Management Service terminated with following error: The specified module
could not be found. "

The error pop ups read "An error occurred while windows was working with
the Contral Panel file C:|WINDOWS\system32\netsetup.cpl

I could not find any reference to this error in the microsoft database
except ME. The errors are annoying but do not prevent access to any thing on
the menus.

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "Bernard Abramson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I installed SP2 on Dell laptop this week. Now Control
> >Panel gives error messages and opens with multiple
> >(hundreds) of copies of the several items.
>
> Deinstall the SP2 and reinstall it. Something seems to have failed
> during the installation. Make sure that no software is running in the
> background when you install the SP2.
>
> --
> (tm)

Are you using XP Home or Pro?

"CCargo52" <CCargo52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a similar problem except I do not get duplicate programs, just error
> pop ups on my Dell Dimension L PC which was upgraded from ME to XP. I
> have
> already tried the uninstall and reinstall SP2 making sure nothing is
> running
> and I still get the errors. The Error Logs all read "The Application
> Management Service terminated with following error: The specified module
> could not be found. "
>
> The error pop ups read "An error occurred while windows was working with
> the Contral Panel file C:|WINDOWS\system32\netsetup.cpl
>
> I could not find any reference to this error in the microsoft database
> except ME. The errors are annoying but do not prevent access to any thing
> on
> the menus.
>

> "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:
>
>> "Bernard Abramson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I installed SP2 on Dell laptop this week. Now Control
>> >Panel gives error messages and opens with multiple
>> >(hundreds) of copies of the several items.
>>
>> Deinstall the SP2 and reinstall it. Something seems to have failed
>> during the installation. Make sure that no software is running in the
>> background when you install the SP2.
>>
>> --
>> (tm)

I have XP Home Edition

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Are you using XP Home or Pro?
>
> "CCargo52" <CCargo52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a similar problem except I do not get duplicate programs, just error
> > pop ups on my Dell Dimension L PC which was upgraded from ME to XP. I
> > have
> > already tried the uninstall and reinstall SP2 making sure nothing is
> > running
> > and I still get the errors. The Error Logs all read "The Application
> > Management Service terminated with following error: The specified module
> > could not be found. "
> >
> > The error pop ups read "An error occurred while windows was working with
> > the Contral Panel file C:|WINDOWS\system32\netsetup.cpl
> >
> > I could not find any reference to this error in the microsoft database
> > except ME. The errors are annoying but do not prevent access to any thing
> > on
> > the menus.

> >> Deinstall the SP2 and reinstall it. Something seems to have failed
> >> during the installation. Make sure that no software is running in the
> >> background when you install the SP2.
> >>
> >> --
> >> (tm)

I also have XP Home Edition and have had similar problems. Most of my
problems have been resolved by removing XP SP2, (read the thread further down
dated 9/30/04 entitled "XP SP2 Control Panel Freezes"), Disk Clean-Up and
Defrag. I still have a problem with the TEMP files which is annoying but
manageable. Perhaps if you "uninstall" SP2 as some others have suggested
instead of "restoring," to an earlier date, (which is what I did), you will
not have the quirks I have. I believe the information about how to uninstall
the program is in the Microsoft data base.

"CCargo52" wrote:

> I have XP Home Edition
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
> > Are you using XP Home or Pro?
> >
> > "CCargo52" <CCargo52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have a similar problem except I do not get duplicate programs, just error
> > > pop ups on my Dell Dimension L PC which was upgraded from ME to XP. I
> > > have
> > > already tried the uninstall and reinstall SP2 making sure nothing is
> > > running
> > > and I still get the errors. The Error Logs all read "The Application
> > > Management Service terminated with following error: The specified module
> > > could not be found. "
> > >
> > > The error pop ups read "An error occurred while windows was working with
> > > the Contral Panel file C:|WINDOWS\system32\netsetup.cpl
> > >
> > > I could not find any reference to this error in the microsoft database
> > > except ME. The errors are annoying but do not prevent access to any thing
> > > on
> > > the menus.

As noted in my original post, I tried the uninstall and re install and there
was no change. I did not use restore. I prefer to keep SP2 and live with the
minor annoyance than to not have the patch.

"J" wrote:

> I also have XP Home Edition and have had similar problems. Most of my
> problems have been resolved by removing XP SP2, (read the thread further down
> dated 9/30/04 entitled "XP SP2 Control Panel Freezes"), Disk Clean-Up and
> Defrag. I still have a problem with the TEMP files which is annoying but
> manageable. Perhaps if you "uninstall" SP2 as some others have suggested
> instead of "restoring," to an earlier date, (which is what I did), you will
> not have the quirks I have. I believe the information about how to uninstall
> the program is in the Microsoft data base.
>
> "CCargo52" wrote:
>
> > I have XP Home Edition
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> > > Are you using XP Home or Pro?
> > >
> > > "CCargo52" <CCargo52@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

UPDATE: I sent an email assist request to microsoft and got the solution
with 24 hours. The cause of mine was: third party software, such as IPMon32
from Verizon, may be causing this issue.
Solution:a. Click Start, go to Run, and type "msconfig" in the open box to
start the System Configuration Utility.
b. Click the Startup tab, uncheck the item related to IPMon32 and click OK.
Reboot and check the Control Panel.

The URL address for the form (may need to download the ActiveX, I did)
https://webresponse.one.microsoft.com/oas/secure/AssistedSubmission.aspx?tp=sub&EVal=8101&ETyp=PIDless&PriD=8101&PrNa=Microsoft+Windows+XP+Service+Pack+2&UC=US