Help with OCing an ancient CPU

kc_drifter7

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Alright so I've got this old gateway computer with a 400mhz P2 and it seems to be stuck at the default FSB speed. When I try to adjust the speed, the option is greyed out in my BIOS.

I've got this CPU:

cpu7eh.jpg

And this MOBO:

mobo5is.jpg

I know there won't be much benefit in OCing, but I'd like to know if it's possible and how to do it. Any and help would be greatly appreciated. Thankee :D

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Hate to be negative but if your looking to overclock with that board manufactured by Intel you are out of luck. There are ways around this but not any easy ways.

Check the manual of your board. How is the FSB (or processor) selected? If it is not auto but through DIP switches then you have a slim chance. Not sure though when the PIIs and Cels came out I had already shifted to ABIT and was having fun with softmenu :)

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Do me a favor: open up the case and look for the CMOS jumper on your board. See if the 2-3 setting is marked as "configure" or something similar. If so, move the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3, and proceed to boot your pc. It should automatically come up to a bios screen, where you will be allowed to possibly change the multiplier of your cpu. If this is the same motherobard as the 440BX Gateway board I worked on (which it probably is), you may have this option and be in luck. What may hold you back though is the cpu, as it may be completely multiplier locked (as I'm assuming it is). In that case your pretty much screwed, and can only hope that something like Softfsb or Clockgen can help you out, as all BX boards have semi support for the 133 fsb (pci will be in line, but agp will be out of whack), you may at least be able to clock it up a little. The L2 caches are going to limit your overclock the most though. I'd say 500 MHz is probably tops for this cpu, and 450 MHz being much more likely. In all, not a lot to gain, but it may be fun for you. I know I did enjoy tweaking a 333 PII up to 450 MHz @ 100 fsb on a gateway board (some 333's were multi-unlocked, I must have been lucky to have one).