Flight times

Hi all

I have been watching this newsgroup for a while now but this is my first
post here :D

I have just flown from Heathrow to JFK following a BA flight timetable
and however much i try i cant seem to make it in the time im supposed
to. I allways arrive about 15mins to 30 mins late. I can make some of
the other BA times on the timetable ok but not this one. Oh well keep
trying i guess :D
7 answers Last reply
More about flight times

    > I have just flown from Heathrow to JFK following a BA flight timetable
    > and however much i try i cant seem to make it in the time im supposed
    > to. I allways arrive about 15mins to 30 mins late. I can make some of
    > the other BA times on the timetable ok but not this one. Oh well keep
    > trying i guess :D

    Did you feed in the most likely real world wind at the height? Timetables
    must always take account of that.

    --
    Cheers
    Quilljar

    Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    http://www.livtech.co.uk

    Always cruise alt. will play a factor

    > > I have just flown from Heathrow to JFK following a BA flight timetable
    > > and however much i try i cant seem to make it in the time im supposed
    > > to. I allways arrive about 15mins to 30 mins late. I can make some of
    > > the other BA times on the timetable ok but not this one. Oh well keep
    > > trying i guess :D
    >
    > Did you feed in the most likely real world wind at the height? Timetables
    > must always take account of that.
    >

    > --
    > Cheers
    > Quilljar
    >

    > Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
    > http://www.livtech.co.uk

    In addition, the NATracks will take advantage of the winds...your flight
    path may be too north or south of the real world track.

    Damian

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:09:44 +0000 (UTC), Quilljar wrote:

    >> I have just flown from Heathrow to JFK following a BA flight timetable
    >> and however much i try i cant seem to make it in the time im supposed
    >> to. I allways arrive about 15mins to 30 mins late. I can make some of
    >> the other BA times on the timetable ok but not this one. Oh well keep
    >> trying i guess :D
    >
    > Did you feed in the most likely real world wind at the height? Timetables
    > must always take account of that.

    Yes...listen to Quilljar you must...learn from him you can...

    Okay. Got that outta the way! :-) What type of airplane were you flying,
    what was your altitude, what was your speed, and how much did the whole
    package weigh? Oh....and what route were your using?

    --

    Marcel (SAG-21)
    (Chance favours the prepared mind.)

    Marcel Kuijper wrote:

    > Yes...listen to Quilljar you must...learn from him you can...

    Thank you Yoda Studmuffin........ <G>

    Hi all

    Thanks for the replies. I didnt have real world weather loaded so maybe
    that effects it, i hadnt thought of that.

    I was flying a boeing 744 at FL370 speed was 0.84mach or about that
    speed, not sure on the weight though. I have just tried it with the real
    world weather loaded and came in just 10mins late so maybe that was the
    factor.

    Thanks for the advice :D

    Paul

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 14:10:48 +0000 (UTC), relaxing cardshark wrote:

    > Thanks for the replies. I didnt have real world weather loaded so maybe
    > that effects it, i hadnt thought of that.

    Real Weather can give you a tail wind when you're at your cruise altitude
    and that's something you can really benifit from. But never count on it.

    > I was flying a boeing 744 at FL370 speed was 0.84mach or about that
    > speed, not sure on the weight though. I have just tried it with the real
    > world weather loaded and came in just 10mins late so maybe that was the
    > factor.

    Okay. Have a look at this: http://www.simviation.com/rinfo747.htm
    First of all I'd recommend a higher cruise altitude.
    The 744s max service ceiling is FL410, so I'd go for FL400 (if your total
    weight allows it). I think the maximum ceiling is FL430.

    The higher you fly, the better your fuel economy is.

    Also there are certain rules to follow when choosing your cruise altitude:
    When following a general heading between 0-179, you file and fly an odd
    altitude. (i.e. North or East = ODD altitude. NEODD)

    When following a general heading between 180-359, you file and fly and even
    altitude. (i.e. South or West = EVEN altitude. SWEVEN)

    This prevents mid-air collisions and ensures a 1000ft vertical seperation
    for IFR aircrafts. (VFR = 500ft seperation)

    0.84 Mach seems a tad slow.....keep a close eye on the N1 and see if you
    can get that bird up to 0.86 Mach without red-lining your engines.

    One more thing....you're dealing with a sim. No matter how real it may
    look, the sim planes will never stack up to the real thing. So we might try
    and fly RL flightplans and schedules, but arriving at the destination at
    the same time (or earlier!) as the real plane is somewhat difficult.

    I hope this helps a little.

    --

    Marcel (SAG-21)
    (When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the

Microsoft Video Games