HELP. Asus A8N32 Deluxe wont post.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I finished putting my rig together last night and fired it up. First power on and it didnt post.

I changed the port on the Video card to the second one and it posted. I went into the BIOS and monitored CPU and MOBO temps.

CPU temp was 35C
MOBO temp was 35C

I noticed the back fan on my shark case wasn’t spinning so I shut it down. Removed power cable and connected the 120MM case fan.

I powered it up, and every fan was spinning now. All good

The system wont post. I don’t even get any post error beeps.

I mess with a few cables and still nothing.

Im running a 660W PSU so power is not an issue. The 12V to the mobo along with the 24 pin connector is plugged in. I reseat everything and go again. It wont post and the monitor stays amber.

The PC seems to be locked by something because the power button wont shut the PC down unless I hold it down for 5 seconds.

I disconnect the DVD from the PRI IDE. I disconnect the SATA HDD. Still no post.

I reseat the VID card... no post.

I move the memory into different slots.. 1A 2A, 1A 1B, 1B 2B. Nothing, no error beeps and no post.

I remove the memory completely.. Beeeeeeep.. beep beep beep. ok memory error beeps on the MOBO.

I guess it’s the memory. I have TWINX2048 DDR 400 PC3200 3200PRO.

I look on Cosair site, they say the memory is compatible. In the ASUS book it doesn’t list the 3200PRO only the 3200C2 and others.

Is this a memory problem or is this a memory compatibility problem?

What’s really vexing me is that it posted up once!

Your help is greatly appreciated...

Check below for hardware...

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I know from experience that Asus motherboards can be a bit fussy on memory timings. Many times I've had the same problem, the resulting error being 'Overclock failed' (without overclocking), and it's always been a problem with the memory running in dual.

1st priority obviously is getting it to post, then you can check the BIOS settings.

Did you try running with just 1 stick of memory ?

It's strange that you had it post earlier, then just by connecting an extra fan it fails to post. Can you disconnect the rear fan and get it to post again ?

If you can get it to post with just 1 stick (or the rear fan disconnected), then you can try and relax the memory timings manually before using both sticks.

The BIOS also provides detail on the loaded timings for the memory.

Specific settings to check are:

1. On the 'Jumperfree configuration screen, there should be an option with memory timing mode (options AUTO, 1T, 2T) - set this to 2T for stability. 1T is for performance, but can cause boot/stability issues.

In CPU configuration, under Memory settings, set the CAS latency manually - 2.5 will help stability. Leave the rest on AUTO.

Also, this motherboard can have problems with memory if 'USB Legacy Support' is enabled. You should disable this also.

I have the same motherboard, and am currently running with BIOS 1103. If you can get it to post, and are not running the latest BIOS, an update may also resolve your problems.

hth

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
I know from experience that Asus motherboards can be a bit fussy on memory timings. Many times I've had the same problem, the resulting error being 'Overclock failed' (without overclocking), and it's always been a problem with the memory running in dual.

1st priority obviously is getting it to post, then you can check the BIOS settings.

Did you try running with just 1 stick of memory ?

Tried 1 stick and still had the problem

It's strange that you had it post earlier, then just by connecting an extra fan it fails to post. Can you disconnect the rear fan and get it to post again ?

I did disconnect the fan and it wouldnt post. I dont think it had anything to do with it because it didnt post the 1st time. I think I got lucky on 1 boot and thats it.

If you can get it to post with just 1 stick (or the rear fan disconnected), then you can try and relax the memory timings manually before using both sticks.

The BIOS also provides detail on the loaded timings for the memory.

Specific settings to check are:

1. On the 'Jumperfree configuration screen, there should be an option with memory timing mode (options AUTO, 1T, 2T) - set this to 2T for stability. 1T is for performance, but can cause boot/stability issues.

In CPU configuration, under Memory settings, set the CAS latency manually - 2.5 will help stability. Leave the rest on AUTO.

Also, this motherboard can have problems with memory if 'USB Legacy Support' is enabled. You should disable this also.

I have the same motherboard, and am currently running with BIOS 1103. If you can get it to post, and are not running the latest BIOS, an update may also resolve your problems.

I spoke with ASUS and they say its my bios version with my FX60 CPU. I need to look at the MOBO when I get home but they say if my bios version is 0806 or lower it wont post with the FX60.
hth

Thanks for the advice :)

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I spoke with ASUS and they say its my bios version with my FX60 CPU. I need to look at the MOBO when I get home but they say if my bios version is 0806 or lower it wont post with the FX60.

Yep - forgot that 0806 or lower doesn't support dual core. If that is the problem, you should have no problems getting a replacement BIOS chip from Asus.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006

Yep - forgot that 0806 or lower doesn't support dual core. If that is the problem, you should have no problems getting a replacement BIOS chip from Asus.

Yeah, hopefully thats it. Strange how it posted 1 time though, and when I went through the bios settings it detected the FX60 with both cores and the correct Mhz.

Maybe it let it through as a fluke.

Damn New Egg selling me a MOBO with an outdated bios :evil:

steveosazninvazn

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Most likely your problem is memory, odds are if it's not listed on the Asus site it's probably not compatible. The same thing happened to me with my Abit board, and shipping it in back to Newegg.com and getting a new set solved my problem.

deathc4

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I am about to build a simular rig. This thread has got me worried, how do I tell what version BIOS I have with out the machine being built yet?

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
I am about to build a simular rig. This thread has got me worried, how do I tell what version BIOS I have with out the machine being built yet?

Assuming you have the motherboard, the BIOS chip is between the Front Panel connectors and 4 SATA connectors (in one of the corners). It should have a yellow/gold sticker on it with 4 lines of text. The 2nd line should be 4 numbers (1009 for example). This is the BIOS version.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
The nightmare continues. I RMA the Mobo for a refund and get a new one from a local store. (The bios version was the latest)

Connect everything and now I have a new error...

Beeeeeep..beep..beep.

Yup... Video card.

Ive been building systems for 15 years and ive NEVER has so many problems.

Im really not looking forward to RMAing the video card and im not willing to accept it yet so im now buying a cheap PCIe video card to test and at least get my system to POST! :)

What a big nightmare.. more demand = more DOA products out of the box. This sucks big time!

Is the video card in the correct slot (is that an issue for sli boards?) for single video card operation in an SLI board? (Does that board use any sort of insertable module to configure sli lanes?)

external supplemental PCI-e power connector connected to video card, and is card fully seated?

Reset BIOS?

Disconnect power input to drives, remove sound card, drop to a sinlge stick of ram, and try again...

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
OMG!!!!

Changed PSU...

Beeeeep..Beep..Beep

Changed Mobo...

Beeeeep..Beep.Beep

Changed Memory...
Beeeeeep..Beep..Beep.

Changed Video Card...

Beeeeeep..Beep..Beep.

No matter what I do, Video card post error.

This is the 3rd Mobo so it cant be...

This is absurd.. ANYONE... please... give me something... :)

The only thing left is the CPU.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Everything seems to be pointing to the CPU being the problem.

One last thing - do you have the molex connector (EZ Plug) connected to the motherboard ?

It shouldn't be needed, and I run my system without it. However, it may be worth trying it with/without to see if this makes a difference.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Everything seems to be pointing to the CPU being the problem.

One last thing - do you have the molex connector (EZ Plug) connected to the motherboard ?

It shouldn't be needed, and I run my system without it. However, it may be worth trying it with/without to see if this makes a difference.

You ready for this?

Corsairs wouldnt boot until I flashed my bios from 1009 to the latest ver. had to purchase generic ram to get it going.

1 stick of corsair memory wont work at all. Single or together with the other.

1 7900GTX will not post at all. Maybe it just doesnt want to post with 1 stick of 1 gig of ram??? I think I might have to face it, its DOA.

Sooooooooo... 1 bad ram chip along with a DOA A8N32 Deluxe AND a DOA 7900GTX.

Id love to see you guys trouble shoot that one.. LOL :)

What a nightmare. :evil:

Landgrave

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
All of this sounds discouragingly familiar. My new box is:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64 Fx-57
Cosair TWINX2048 XMS-3200C2PRO
ASUS 7900GTX 512MB
Three Western Digital 150GB Raptors
ENERMAX EG851AX-VH(W) 660W PSU
Other bits, but those are the central ones.
Only real difference is the FX-57 and 3200C2.

Mine posted a half dozen times, ran nicely, good temps, and then went into a sulk. Main symptoms are no monitor response and the memory not doing its flashing LED thing. Front power indicators on the case are on, and the power LED is lit on the board. But that's it. No beeps, no monitor output. I'm where you were on your first post, more or less. Looks like this is not going to be simple. Nice to have some ideas to try.

Landgrave

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
So first move is to get the BIOS version. Below the SATA connectors and above the serial and panel connectors. Right. The one that can be removed and replaced. OK. Oops.

Does it mean anything if there is no sticker on the chip? (Aside from telling me that I can't get the version without a post).

There is something hand-drawn on the chip with what looks like common black Sharpie marking pen. Looks like an upper case D rotated CCW by 90 degrees. The upper curved portion obscures the chip logo at the top. There is a dot below it, located in the middle of the last line of the white silk screen text. Does that symbology mean anything I should know about? Like give up now, it's RMA time?

deathc4

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
You guys have me scared. As I have said before, im build pretty much the same system. I really hope mine doesnt act up like your guy's. But im building it Monday or Tuesday. After that I will post back and tell ya if mine is freaking out.

Landgrave

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I just e-mailed newegg describing the behavior and asking for their suggestions. I also posted a similar e-mail to ASUS technical support. The memory and video card are listed as compatable by ASUS, though as Covered_in_bees commented, there are tricks that aren't always obvious. I'm sort of reluctant to do anything dramatic with a screwdriver until I have something back from them. They might know something we don't if there has been a string of these. I'll post the replies if they look useful. The missing BIOS label and the drawing on the chip seems strange, but another thing that looks odd is that there is no serial number label on the box, where ASUS says to look. They might have changed the way they do things for these boards though. Not sure which label on the board is a SN. Manual is dated May of 2005, which is interesting, but ASUS has been making these for a while and documentation is always behind.

Take heart. Parts are more reliable, and putting one of these together is a lot simpler than was the case in 1989. What you see here probably does not represent the experience of the majority of people with the board. Propain and myself may just have been unlucky statistically (we hope).

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I recieved my board pre-order in november and it has been running since then with no problems. I will get a X2 4800+ this week I've already changed memory twice from 512 to 1 gig to 2 gig and have not had any problems but I only use samsung memory at stock speed no OC . I wish you the best of luck with your problems.
(512mb dual channel 2.5-3-3-7 333mhz)(1gig dual channel 2.5-3-3-7 333mhz)(2gig dual channel 3-4-4-8 400mhz)

Landgrave

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Thanks for the encouragement. Really. Makes me think that Propain and I just unintentionally offended one of the quality assurance gods, and it will work out after we pay the appropriate RMA pennance. ASUS does good work, and so does Corsair, so maybe I pointed a middle finger in the wrong direction carelessly last week :D My workhorse system uses Samsung, and it's been bulletproof through a couple of upgrades. If I have to eat a couple of sticks of Corsair, I have a teriyaki marinade that can make anything palatable if it soaks for a week or two.

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I know and trust both companies but find it interesting to see all the posts with problems with this motherboard seem to happen with only corsair memory . I know it will work but have seen alot of problems and chose samsung because it was cheaper at first . I just upgraded to the 2gig and that cost me $200.00 I really wanted the twinx 3500pro but have read alot of posts that it was a pain to get that to work and at $335.00 I opted for the samsung with copper heat spredder to mach the motherboard heat pipes . I do not overclock so the latency doesn't matter and I won't see the differece especially when I get the 4800X2 . Just from what I've seen in the forums seems like its a little tricky getting the cosair to work .

Landgrave

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I don't OC either. The equipment is my rice bowl. But the people that do OC drive development and innovation more than they know. Because of their interest and effort - and comparative reviews, I can build better than I can buy for within a nickel or two of the same cost, and the performance will be sufficient for two years instead of one, with minor upgrades. The Corsair might have been a mistake this time, but the marinade will always work. If it's still too crunchy, I'll give it another week at room temperature, and learn from it. And next time, it may be different. Moral: Never discard original shipping, and packing, and boxes until 6 months after the system works. Wish I could build one a week to really know what works and what doesn't, tracking it all in near real time.

Sorry - it's late in OKC and I'm getting chatty instead of staying technical. Sorry 'bout that.

Propain666

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
All of this sounds discouragingly familiar. My new box is:
ASUS A8N32-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon 64 Fx-57
Cosair TWINX2048 XMS-3200C2PRO
ASUS 7900GTX 512MB
Three Western Digital 150GB Raptors
ENERMAX EG851AX-VH(W) 660W PSU
Other bits, but those are the central ones.
Only real difference is the FX-57 and 3200C2.

Mine posted a half dozen times, ran nicely, good temps, and then went into a sulk. Main symptoms are no monitor response and the memory not doing its flashing LED thing. Front power indicators on the case are on, and the power LED is lit on the board. But that's it. No beeps, no monitor output. I'm where you were on your first post, more or less. Looks like this is not going to be simple. Nice to have some ideas to try.

My memory always did the flash dance but the system would just boot like a dumb shit and do nothing. No post codes no nothing.

I got the A8N32 to post once! Woot! :)

In the end the A8N32 died and took 1 stick of ram and my 7900GTX with it. Well either that, or I am extremely unlucky and received 3 bad items in the same shipment.

The worst part is the money of course.. I will NOT wait for an RMA from TigerDirect for my video card and asked for a refund. The reason is they wont have this card again until late april.

Sooo in the process of waiting for my hardware to get back to New Egg and TigerDirect and waiting for my refund im going to the store and buying my Video card and memory, and I already bought the Mobo.

So a 3k purchase turned into a 4k purchase while I wait for my refunds :)

My long winded advice to you LandGrave, goto your local stores and purchase another A8N32 or A8N-SLI and swap out your mobo.

If it works you know what your problem is and you can RMA your mobo and return the one you bought for a refund.

If the mobo doesnt fix your problem.... then buy memory.. If that doesnt work then go Video....

Last id go with the PSU.

BTW ive purchased all of the above to get my PC back up and running. :(

Landgrave

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Classic common sense fault isolation: When in doubt, replace the cheapest part first. Repeat as necessary. Uses the rest of the system as the test instrument. Pretty tricksy if more than one component is bad though (as you remarked). Would be nice to have a differential diagnosis at the independent component level, but that takes equipment I don't have. Sometimes common sense has to serve.

The missing BIOS chip label is still making my "something is wrong with this picture" antennae twitch. Some posts in other forums have said ASUS has been very responsive with this board. So I have some hopes there. We'll see how it goes.