SATA won't boot if IDE disk present - Intel 945GNTL mb

vincus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
My SATA disk won't boot if I put any kind of IDE disk to the box. I've checked the BIOS settings, it was ok, I've upgraded the BIOS to the freshest and the problem still around...
Intel support wasn't able to help, they asked me to check the power supply, move the partition on the ide disks to not to be active etc., i did everything, and it's still not booting... If i pull down the IDE drives the system comes up.
I only able to boot with a boot manager started from a boot cd (on every boot) and with it i select the disk manually and then it's booting...
What can causes this? It drives me up the wall...

Is there a boot order you can specify for the hdd? I remember setting one boot order to "cd-rom --> hdd --> none" then under "hdd" I had to set it for "scsi" first, then "ide" and it fixed the SATA problem since it saw it as a scsi adaptor in the bios for some reason...

lp231

Splendid
If you have 2 or more hard drives. Inside the BIOS there should be a option where is allows you to choose which hard drive you want to set as the primary. Only the first hard drive will be able to boot in the Boot sequence.

vincus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
The BIOS settings are right, no option to boot sata or ide first, i can choose the boot order for all the disks which bios has detected. I did it to boot it first and it still doesn't work. But if I pull down the IDE drives it can do the job (for example boot firstly before the cd), so i dunno what could be the problem