comparing my current build against this suggested AMD build

wkdadam

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I'm looking to compare my current system against a somewhat cheaper AMD build using the same video card I've got now. I need some opinions and suggestions as to which build would be better overall.
I would use the system mostly for gaming (WoW, CS, Quake 4, Quake 3) and also multitasking.

My current system:
MSI P4N Diamond Motherboard
P4 630 (prescott)- 3GHz 2MB L2 cache
1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-667
BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC

The AMD build I'd like to compare it against:
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 3200+ (venice)
1GB Corsair XMS DDR400
BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC

Thanks in advance for your help.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I'm looking to compare my current system against a somewhat cheaper AMD build using the same video card I've got now. I need some opinions and suggestions as to which build would be better overall.
I would use the system mostly for gaming (WoW, CS, Quake 4, Quake 3) and also multitasking.

My current system:
MSI P4N Diamond Motherboard
P4 630 (prescott)- 3GHz 2MB L2 cache
1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-667
BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC

The AMD build I'd like to compare it against:
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 3200+ (venice)
1GB Corsair XMS DDR400
BFG GeForce 7800 GT OC

Thanks in advance for your help.

Looking on benchmarks from Tom's or another other site especially in gaming the AMD system is certainly the way to go. Your games will perform better, and the system overall will be faster. However, a few suggestions I can make to make the system better:

1) Get 2GB of RAM ($140 for value RAM, $200 for O/C ram). This alone will vastly improve performance especially in games like CoD2

2) Unless you want to add another video card right now (next 3 months) don't waste the money on an SLI motherboard. Get the A8N-E instead of $95 or check out DFI boards if you wish to overclock.

3) 3200+ is fine and will get the job done, if you are willing to spend a bit more get an Opteron 165. 4 times the cache, double core, and overclockable to the stars.

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
I'm looking to compare my current system against a somewhat cheaper AMD build using the same video card I've got now.
Is this a cost-saving exercise, as in -- you want to get back some capital you've invested into parts?

If so, that's probably a reasonable equivalent. Don't expect performance gains to be at all much, though, your loss of 1GB of system RAM will be noticeable.

It may not really be worth your while (time, hassle) upgrading--especially since AM2 is around the corner. If you wait, you could pick up a board/CPU combo and keep the RAM... unless you've found a dirt cheap supply of parts, I'd stick with the P4.

steveosazninvazn

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
With one tiny bit of OCing on the AMD CPU, it could easily stomp the Intel back to the hole it crawled out of. If you really wanted best performance though, I'd have to say that you need 2GB of RAM.

wkdadam

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
To shadowduck:
What, if any, is the difference between the XMS ram and the value ram (other than the heat spreader)? Also, I don't think I plan on getting another video card anytime soon, I was just considering the SLI just in case. Like, if I ever decided to get another 7800GT, I wouldn't have to buy another motherboard.
To benjamin:
I'm not really looking to save money with this idea. I'm just curious to know if this AMD system, which is cheaper than the Intel system, would be better for my needs. Also, I'm not sure if I'd overclock it much, if at all. I'm a little too concerned about heat and my case is pretty full with my power supply cords (Ultra X-Connect PSU, the cords are so bulky sometimes).
When you say "pick up a board/CPU combo," are you referring to finding a cheap AMD combo and adding some ram to that and using it to see if it's better?

To steveosazninvazn:
I'd be willing to try overclocking the AMD, if I did get it, because the AMD chips don't get nearly as hot as my prescott does. That's one of my biggest problems with the Intel system is the heat of the processor. That, and the system is somewhat unstable at times (I've gotten blue screens with "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" which I believe is caused by my motherboard but I'm not entirely sure.)

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
To shadowduck:
What, if any, is the difference between the XMS ram and the value ram (other than the heat spreader)? Also, I don't think I plan on getting another video card anytime soon, I was just considering the SLI just in case. Like, if I ever decided to get another 7800GT, I wouldn't have to buy another motherboard.

The biggest different is XMS RAM (or Gold/Plat RAM from OCZ) is better for overclocking. The RAM is higher quality and can acheive better timings. If overclocking is not something you want to do, the Value RAM is ok, but with the current MIR offer on the XMS RAM you might as well go ahead and get the better RAM anyway.

benjamin

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
To benjamin:
I'm not really looking to save money with this idea. I'm just curious to know if this AMD system, which is cheaper than the Intel system, would be better for my needs.
Ah... well, tbh, it looks to be more of a side-step than an upgrade. It would probably have the pleasant side effect of giving a marginal return, if you were to ebay the parts. The benefits would certainly be if you were willing to overclock a touch, but whenever you do that, you're rolling the dice. Of course, with the Venice core, the odds are certainly in your favour... ;)
Also, I'm not sure if I'd overclock it much, if at all. I'm a little too concerned about heat and my case is pretty full with my power supply cords (Ultra X-Connect PSU, the cords are so bulky sometimes).
When you say "pick up a board/CPU combo," are you referring to finding a cheap AMD combo and adding some ram to that and using it to see if it's better?
My point was, if you were to wait another month, you could keep the 2GB of DDR2 and reuse those in your equivalent AMD system, rather than buying into what is essentially (in DDR1) a dead end. AMD did say they're going to be introducing an entire, consolidated, lineup for socket AM2, so you'd definitely have options.

Re: your heat problems, though, the AMD would be a good option. As would some fans... how about you buy a shiny new case? *cough*Lian-Li*cough*