Sign in with
Your question

New PC - Do I have to wait for Conroe?

Last response: in CPUs
March 23, 2006 3:23:40 PM

I've been itching to buy a new PC for a month now. I'm currently using an outdated Dell Dimension from 2000/2001(?). 2.0 Ghz Intel Processor, 512 MB of rambus RAM, and a 4X AGB (max) 128MB Nvidia graphics card. I've saved well over $3000 for the system of my dreams but recently I've been confused on what to get. I was planning on a FX-60, 2GB corsair RAM, 2X7900GTX Nvidia's but now I'm wondering if I should wait for Conroe? It's gonna be faster and I just read somewhere that it's gonna be half the price of the FX-60 (~$500), holy crap. Plus, it supports DDR2 RAM while AMD doesn't. Double crap... I totally wanted to join the fight against big companies (Microsoft, Intel, e.g.) but not at the cost of my dream system. Do I have to wait?

More about : wait conroe

March 23, 2006 3:37:42 PM

By the time Conroe is out, there'll be something else new around the corner.

If you want your PC now, buy now. if you can wait a little longer, wait a little longer...

The longer you wait, the better the PC you'll get, but don't get stuck into the 'waiting for the next big thing' hole. It's easy to do.

And don't get upset when your new top-of-the-line rig is suddenly a 'mainstream' one after 3 months. It will happen, and there's nothing you can do about it... It'll still be just as powerful, just don't let the benchmarks get to you! :D 
March 23, 2006 3:47:43 PM

Now is probably the worst time to buy a PC.
Build a high end sistem(apart from the CPU) on a 965 mobo(that should support Conroe). When it arrives replace the CPU with Conroe. Presto!
Related resources
March 23, 2006 3:57:52 PM

I tend to agree with Chipdeath. The longer you wait the better however, you could end up waiting a long time. I was in the same boat you are in now and I went ahead and built my current system which is just plain awesome.
March 23, 2006 4:10:02 PM

It is true that there will always be something new around the corener, but it seems to me that Conroe (and possibly AM2) may not just be a big jump in performance, but also a very favourable shift in performance/price ratio (I think this will be true regardless if you end up buying an AMD or an Intel system). By that time I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the new DX10 graphics chips will also be available, and it would be interesting to see how they stack up against what is available today.
True, true, there will always be something new coming, but it seems to me that unless you really need the new system now, this seems to be a particularily bad time to build a high end system.
March 23, 2006 4:16:39 PM

Normally I would say "just go for it". There is always something better just around the corner.

But. . .

What if that "something better" is claimed to be 20% faster rather than the usual 3-5% faster. Well, then that changes things in my opinion.

I personally would go with AMD, but that's because it will take more than Conroe to convince me to go back to Intel, they'll need to start dominating AMD with every product release, something they haven't done in a long time.
March 23, 2006 4:16:53 PM

Quote:
Now is probably the worst time to buy a PC.
Build a high end sistem(apart from the CPU) on a 965 mobo(that should support Conroe). When it arrives replace the CPU with Conroe. Presto!

I disagree with you.

If you can find a motherboard with VRM-11 now, then find me.
March 23, 2006 4:26:37 PM

As one ofe the discutants said, after 3-9 months the top model becomes mainstream, so its price will go down. If I was you, I will see first if I really need a better PC right now and how important is to have it at this moment. If you have enough of your old rig, watching and reading how much the current mainstream overperforms it, than it is a more wish than need. That wish will cost you $3k to become a kind of a reality for some time(after the 3-9 months), and than everything will be the same, like now. There would be better systems with better chipset, ram, gpu, cpu....
Right now is not a good idea, becouse a superior in performance in technology and with much better performance/dollar value chip was introduced and will be available in 3 months. The price of your system will go down drasticly, and for less money than you need now much better system will be available. If you can wait some months, buy the graphics cards you want, good mobo, Conroe CPU ranged in middle and less expencive ram, so you will use only $2k. After few months latter, there will be much better mobos with digital clock generator, and much better DDR2 at higher freqfency and lower prices, and there will be Conroes at higher FSB, so you will upgrade your system and will have the beast for some longer.
March 23, 2006 4:29:56 PM

There's one thing in particular that Intel is bragging about on the Conroe system, and that's power per watt. They had a chart on TOm's Hardware last week I believe that had a crude graph of the power consumption. Starting with the original Pentium and continuing to the P4, the chips actually gobbled up more power per instruction. The Conroe and its sister chips will consume power at a rate roughly equal to that of the original Pentium. That alone may be worth waiting for.

Conroe isn't even being called a Pentium. They have that much faith in the product. If you buy now you might be the guy with the nice 486 in a Pentium world. I think that's how they will view Pentium people in a Conroe world.
March 23, 2006 4:40:30 PM

No Conroe till September.
March 23, 2006 4:47:04 PM

Wait.

If you wait until the end of the year for Conroe, lots of other things will come together like DX 10 cards, wireless USB, 802.11n, hybird hard-drive, physics PPUs, etc.

You might need to wait more than 1 year for the next major generation of AMD chips. (but currently AMDs are better)

I personally have a i865 motherboard, 3.3 Ghz P4 HT, 1 gig RAM, etc.
I will much rather have dual/quad core; but instead I will upgrade the AGP video to n7800GS and upgrade the HD to Raptor 74. These minor upgrades should play the current games for 1 year or so. It's alreday good enough for profession work (minus the visualization)
March 23, 2006 5:38:39 PM

I'm waiting until Conroe. If it's as big a deal and as much of a technology leap as they claim, it will be worth the wait. You have got to wait for the boards to support it as well so be patient a little while longer. If it's NOT the big jump ahead that they claim, you still have the current generation of quality CPU's from AMD to choose from if your not willing to wait until the AM2 is released which will also use DDR2. It's your call but I can honestly tell you I'd rather work off a $hitty laptop and wait until Conroe vs. kicking myself in the A$$ over all the money I spent on the latest antiquated hardware. IMVHO. Good luck
March 23, 2006 5:43:54 PM

I would wait until Conroe, not necessarily because it might be a whole lot better BUT because it will cause every other processor to come down in price so therefore you will probably be able to get a cheap s939 or maybe m2 X2 4800. But those are just my predictions. But noting the trends, whenever new things come out the old things drop in price quite a bit.
March 23, 2006 6:11:00 PM

Quote:
I've been itching to buy a new PC for a month now. I'm currently using an outdated Dell Dimension from 2000/2001(?). 2.0 Ghz Intel Processor, 512 MB of rambus RAM, and a 4X AGB (max) 128MB Nvidia graphics card. I've saved well over $3000 for the system of my dreams but recently I've been confused on what to get. I was planning on a FX-60, 2GB corsair RAM, 2X7900GTX Nvidia's but now I'm wondering if I should wait for Conroe? It's gonna be faster and I just read somewhere that it's gonna be half the price of the FX-60 (~$500), holy crap. Plus, it supports DDR2 RAM while AMD doesn't. Double crap... I totally wanted to join the fight against big companies (Microsoft, Intel, e.g.) but not at the cost of my dream system. Do I have to wait?

Don't get an FX60; it's a ton of money, and it will soon be obselete because of the FX62. Unless you're Bill Gates, the FX series don't make sense. Get a 3800+ and overclock, or even a 4800+ and have $400 for a 7900.
March 23, 2006 6:39:31 PM

Sounds like I should be patient and wait for Conroe. I think it would be a better choice for future upgradability as well.
March 23, 2006 7:14:46 PM

Quote:

three grand that's an a$$load of bling bling to spend on a PC!

I am of the buy now at 1/2 of what you have and then buy/upgrade later with the other half. You have $3000 saved up right? OK so spend $1500 on a new PC now. Buy a a64 3200 and overclock it to HTT 250 and get a nice 25% overclock to 2,500mHz, buy a cheap mobo like the asrock
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

grab a GIG of ram for like $75, or 2GIGs for $150. I would reccomend keeping it cheap because DDR2 800 is when things get interesting, and it's not available, or supported right now.

Get a good case, powersuply, optical drives, and sound card as these are Really the only parts that will carry over from system to system.

Get a hard drive of a size you deem apropriate. Figure out if you want to put it in the next system you're going to be using, or not. If you need a new monitor get a decent one the 20.1" widescreen Dell 2005FPW is like $400.

so let's look at the damage.

$160 CPU
$70 mobo
$75 RAM
$80 Hard Drive
$120 Creative Labs X-Fi
$100 Case
$60 PSU
$400 Monitor
$60 for Optical Drives
$50 dope keyboard and mouse
$300 for a PHAT video card. 7900GT

Grand total of $1550 and you can probably do better than that if you shop around, or use mail in rebates. This machine will shred any game you throw at it. It's one hell of a system.

Once conroe comes out you spend
$600 for the processor
$150 for the Mobo
$200 for 2 GIGs of DDR 800
$400 for whatever crazy new video card is out there at the time

Again you'll probably be able to do better, but BAM! $1350
Now you can have a fast PC now, and a MUCH faster one later. That's my advice. If you ebay your old parts... well then forget about it!

-manno
March 23, 2006 7:23:51 PM

That does sound like an awesome idea. The more I think about it the more impatient I get. I want to be gaming today, not 3 months from now. Damn I hate hard decisions.
March 23, 2006 8:00:05 PM

I think it would just be easier to decide once Intel and AMD get their poducts out there to shift other prices.

What is considered highend now, might have a more attractive price tag when its taken over by another flagship product.

So to build a highend now, might be a bad time, if you want to save some cash.
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2006 8:52:53 PM

Quote:

Im waiting for conroe personally, but AMD might come back with great prices to match so it will be a tough choice when it arives.
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2006 9:12:10 PM

For starters, why pay $1000 (!!!!!!) for an FX60's 2 frames/sec advantage over an Opty 180 or X2-4600+? Save the other $350, it will pay for the 2nd 7900 series card...

(Also, if going SLI, I'd consider the much less expesive 7900GTs at $299 each over the $500 GTX variants; the former offers great performance at the $600 total /SLI video price point!)

If you can possibly live with your current rig for another 3-4 months, it might indeed be worth waiting on Conroe, as the prospect for a 20% boost in performance over an FX60 in many games and at a $500-$600 pricepoint to boot, is indeed exciting....

DDR2 in itself is not much of an advantage yet, possibly because of increased latencies, and at least when comparing M2/ddr2-800 rigs with socket 939/pc3200, the latter held a 1 frame/sec advantage in most games, hypothetical bandwidth advantage be damned, apparently! :-)
March 23, 2006 9:43:22 PM

Manno has a good suggestion, but gear it towards Conroe today, if you want to upgrade in 3 months to it.
You can have everything Conroe now, but Conroe ;) 

Example

$160 CPU ~ Intel Pentium D 820
$230 mobo ~ Intel 975 chipset
$300 RAM ~ 2x1gig DDR2 Corsair
$280 Hard Drive ~ 150GB Raptor
$0 Creative Labs X-Fi ~ Use on-board sound
$100 Case
$130 PSU ~ Fortron Epsilon 600watt
$420 Monitor ~ Dell 2005FPW LCD
$60 for Optical Drives
$400 for a PHAT video card 7900GTX or X1900XT

$2100
Then when conroe comes out, replace CPU.
March 23, 2006 10:03:22 PM

I will come on here and be a bit different than everyone else...

I think you should buy, here is why:

1- you have the $ now, and buttloads of it by the look of it. tomorrow you may not have it anymore... $*** happens.

2- unlike what most are saying here, if you buy the MOST that you can afford, NOT the least you will NOT have a "mainstream" system in 3 months. example:

I bought a higher-end system 3 years ago, using all the $ i had available- it was a athlon xp 2700, 1 gig ram, 9700pro AIW, audigy, 120 gig WD 8mb, asus a7n8x deluxe nf4 mobo, extra ram sinks for the video card and sink for cpu (both for oc'ing) and some other things like that. It only hit the wall with the release of fear (800x600 medium settings). IT LASTED ME THAT LONG!!! played everything that i could throw at it. still playes bf2 great (1024x768 high settings), farCry is like buttah and hl2 screames on it (1280x1024 high settings, even lost coast w/ hdr).

I expect my current replacement to do at least HALF of that lifespan, if not as much. I bought what I could afford, at the max and that got me close to the top... you have the opportunity to HIT the top, easily... think of where you would be with that? 3 months will still show systems that can only dream of where yours will be. There may be a faster proc by a few Mhz, but in the end yours will look just as good onscreen at the LAN party, no diffs.

3- if you stagger out your purchases you could even spend MORE $ that getting it all at once, and you certainly can run into issues of not having the $ anymore (point #1) at the time of the last component purchase.

if you buy the same component you were going to get at the start months down the road, ya... it will be cheaper but then you will want the better one that made it cheaper and thus not save any $... instead you are back in the cycle of wait for the NEXT one... and the next... and so on.

I hope that helps offset what the others are saying... I am not saying they are wrong per-se, just that waiting is pretty much just that... waiting.

if you dont wait, then you are gaming... much more fun. ;) 
March 23, 2006 10:19:18 PM

Quote:
Do I have to wait?

If you have to ask, ya gotta wait.
March 23, 2006 10:20:16 PM

I would suggest an Opteron S939 1xx ( maybe a 170 or better ) and 1 or 2 7900GTs or 1 7900GTX.

The GTX's are very nice but 2 of them would cost way too much and not improve performance that much.

S939 still has some life left and you can always upgrade later when the AM2 pushes prices down.

It's usually smart to wait 2-6 months or longer after a product is initially released for prices to come down and bugs to be fixed.
March 23, 2006 10:32:26 PM

it is just strange to me that when someone comes on here and says essentially "price is no object" that everyone is here saying "buy cheap"!

does anyone else think this is weird?

If i had 3k to spend (I mean REALLY have it) I would not be looking at value options at all... I would be looking at the raw performance specs, regardless of cost! it would definitely include 2 of everything! 2 7900gtx or 2 x1900xtx, 2 x core fx60, 2x pci-e x16 slots, 2x 1(or 2!) gigs ram... all of it! May not be able to get all of that, but that is where my decisions would lay...

Man, what i could do w/ 3 grand! oh, the possibilities...

/me salivating on self
March 23, 2006 10:42:53 PM

Repeating....

$160 CPU ~ Intel Pentium D 820 (great overclocker)
$230 mobo ~ Intel 975 chipset (Will support Conroe)
$300 RAM ~ 2x1gig DDR2 Corsair
$280 Hard Drive ~ 150GB Raptor
$0 Creative Labs X-Fi ~ Use on-board sound
$100 Case
$130 PSU ~ Fortron Epsilon 600watt
$420 Monitor ~ Dell 2005FPW LCD (excellent quality)
$60 for Optical Drives
$400 for a PHAT video card 7900GTX or X1900XT

$2100
Then when Conroe comes out, replace CPU with Conroe, the system is Conroe ready. Expected the (non EE) highest end mainstream Conroe will be around $500.
Even then total system cost is still only $2600, beating your budget by $400!

As a bonus, for the next couple of months, you can explore and learn about overclocking using the 820 chip now, expanding on your overclocking expertise for when you upgrade CPU.
March 23, 2006 10:51:35 PM

I would not put any $ down on intel keeping that "supports conroe" item. remember in the past with them saying that one chipset or another would support chip x ? and then right before they release it they renig on that "promise"? I am not saying that they wont support it, but they can easily say that NOW (upon conroe release) you have to get a new mobo too... history repeats itself man.

so now i repeat MYself: if $ is no object, why go cheap OR wait 6 months (or more) for future stuff?
March 23, 2006 10:53:45 PM

Quote:
I would not put any $ down on intel keeping that "supports conroe" item. remember in the past with them saying that one chipset or another would support chip x ? and then right before they release it they renig on that "promise"? I am not saying that they wont support it, but they can easily say that NOW (upon conroe release) you have to get a new mobo too... history repeats itself man.

so now i repeat MYself: if $ is no object, why go cheap OR wait 6 months (or more) for future stuff?

I agree. Don't even think about it.

The VRM will probably be very different and Conroe is not expected until September from what I heard and by that time the 65nm AMDs will be out or close to being released.
March 23, 2006 11:13:54 PM

Well it was benchmarked using a 975 chipset, and release is right around the corner, not a bad bet imo, if you need a new PC and Conroe is the direction you are aiming for.
March 23, 2006 11:49:26 PM

Quote:
Well it was benchmarked using a 975 chipset, and release is right around the corner, not a bad bet imo, if you need a new PC and Conroe is the direction you are aiming for.

Even if the chipset works in theory -- the VRM probably won't.

Besides Intel will probably make last minute changes to the design making it incompatible.

They make more $ selling you new chipsets every time you upgrade that way.
March 24, 2006 12:02:33 AM

Officially supported or not, I suspect it will work as has been shown, and if it has a bit higher voltage, well it should not hurt overclocking potential.

Still seems like best choice if you have to have now, and are aiming for a Conroe.

If it does not work, sell the board along with the 820 CPU and buy another motherboard, you still have $400 left over from budget.
March 24, 2006 12:49:17 AM

Hi, this is my first time posting here on the Forumz. (I've been reading for about a month though) I suggest you wait for either AM2 or Intel Conroe because you will have more upgradeability. If you get a Socket 939 computer, you will never be able to upgrade your CPU, but of course if you're a gamer, the processor won't matter much and an Fx-60 will take you pretty far. It's the video card that matters. If I had all that money though, I'd wait for Conroe or AM2 because by then, I'd have even MORE money to spend on that killer dream rig. For example 4GB Corsair XMS, Intel conroe, 2 (or 1) X1900XTX 512MBs or 2 (or 1) 7900GTXs or the newer generation cards (Maybe Geforce 8 series and Radeon 2xxx series?) which would run blazingly fast. Maybe by then, new Opterons will be out with higher multipliers (Those help overclocking right?) , lower temperatures, higher clock speeds and overall higher performance and amazing overclock-ability. I've heard in 2007, AM2 is going to have quad-core so if you wait for AM2, you can get the FX-62, X2 5000+ or something lower-end, then wait again for 2007, get a quad-core and a newer generation video card since you probably WILL be saving up money. Anything is possible. But to know what will happen, you must wait.

If you've noticed, it seems like I suck at computers or something (or not) and it's true, I'm only 11 years old at Grade 5 elementary school but I just browse here and techspot to learn about computers (I one day want to build my own computer, it's my GOAL :trophy: :D  :trophy: )
March 24, 2006 1:07:30 AM

Why are you even asking? Your chip wasn't even good enough 3 years ago, and you think waiting another 1/2 year is an option?
That's a P4a isn't it. It has a 100mhz fsb. It thinks bandwidth is a pipedream.
I guarantee if you buy now, you will have a lot more fun playing games for a long time.
An FX60 today, will last longer than a conroe in 6 months.
March 24, 2006 1:18:30 AM

Or of course you can go the more fun way and get some good parts AT THE MOMENT. I would get these:

Get some s939 motherboard that has PCI-E x16. You might want a Crossfire or SLi one if you are going to use them. (Sorry I'm not very good when it comes to motherboards)
AMD FX-60
2GB of Corsair XMS memory (Get a motherboard that will allow you to upgrade up to 4GB later on as I highly recommend upgrading to 4GB LATER ON because it will work with your FX-60 dual-core side-by-side with it's dual-core processing power so you will have high speeds.
X1900XT(X) (Single or Crossfire) OR 7900GT(X) (Single or SLi)
500W+ Antec True(Smart)Power Power supply (More if using CrossFire or SLi)
Some extra fans in case
A case with some sort of cool gaming design
Remember to get a fast internet connection! :roll:

That would allow you to play every single game released at highest settings with high framerates from today probably up to next year and MORE! Not to mention that newer video cards will still be using PCI Express X16 so you can still upgrade your video card and first of all, video cards affect your gameplay and graphics more than your processor so you shouldn't worry. It's not like a video card is going to be bottlenecked by an amazingly fast FX-60 anyways. If hungry for more speed, you can just get some sort of better cooling system (water or something) a better power supply and maybe some fans and overclock your computer to have some more fast-paced gameplay. I hope this post has helped you as I will now be leaving.

My goal is to help out at least 1 person per day in all the forums I go to. :D 
March 24, 2006 2:09:49 AM

If you're going to wait until Sept. for Conroe you might as well wait for Socket F and get a proper CPU. Or not.... here's a better idea....

With a $3000 budget you can get a Dual Dual Core Opteron Workstation with 4 Cores and SLI capabilities which blows any Intel CPU announced or not, including Conroe, out of the water.

Opterons Scale incredibly well and Opteron memory bandwidth increases as you add CPUs and memory to the system.

With 2 CPUs and 4 memory sticks you have 2x the memory bandwidth ( 2x6.4GB/sec )

With 4 CPUs and 8 memory sticks you have 2x the memory bandwidth ( 4x6.4GB/sec )

With 8 CPUs and 16 memory sticks you have 2x the memory bandwidth ( 8x6.4GB/sec )

Intel Xeons have to share bandwidth so with 2 CPUs you have 1/2 the bandwidth

with 4 CPUs 1/4 the bandwidth

with 8 CPUs 1/8 the bandwidth
March 24, 2006 2:28:26 AM

good word on the dual opty's man... THAT would be a machine!
a b à CPUs
March 24, 2006 3:05:24 AM

Here are the benchmarks for Conroe
link

Also here is a benchmark from that site.

As you can see, the Conroe is running at 2.66Ghz.
By the time Conroe comes out, reviewers will get 3Ghz to play with. :D 
March 24, 2006 3:49:42 AM

Dont waste money on a X2. Do what you can to be Conroe ready. Buy a 505 or a 805 and toss it in the trash when you buy a $200-$530 Conroe the september that is better than any X2.
March 24, 2006 3:49:42 AM

Quote:
RE: Benchmark link..... :)  :)  ....

Get ready for a smattering of this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/03/02/ati_crossfire_xpress_3200_chipset_takes_off/page19.html

This is the reason why.... :)  :) 

It is everywhere, a completely weird interpretation of the wrong data, but by god, it will show you that the FX-60 really does beat Conroe. :) 

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :D 

This is exactly why Intel used an ATI chipset to test the AMD with @ IDF.

The ATI chipset slows down AMD by about 20 - 30% which proves the FX-60 really does beat Conroe!
March 24, 2006 3:51:36 AM

That is BS. Thay would have had too use a POS nForce to show off Conroe. Thay had to use i975x, duh. It's not fliping 20%. Your full of it.
March 24, 2006 4:17:28 AM

Quote:
That is BS. Thay would have had too use a POS nForce to show off Conroe. Thay had to use i975x, duh. It's not fliping 20%. Your full of it.

It was rigged.

Feel free to quote all the syntetic benchmarks in the world.
March 24, 2006 4:18:03 AM

I would like you too.. ha ha ha.
March 24, 2006 4:22:34 AM

You dont know much about laptops and upgrading them.
March 24, 2006 4:26:37 AM

Quote:

Please show us some more worthless benchmarks.

You Sir are spreading Intel FUD.
March 24, 2006 4:30:19 AM

I don't know where you got this information that Intel rigged it, Mad Mike maybe or Rahul. But none the less you have no proof, just BS. And when it comes out you will be wrong. But you and I may as well just wait, and ponder the evidence we have now. Not the BS you have.
March 24, 2006 4:31:19 AM

Quote:

Dude, no point, give it up..... :) 
Yah, your smarter than me. Good night all.
March 24, 2006 5:25:32 AM

Quote:
Yah, your smarter than me. Good night all.

You finally said something I can agree with. Good night.
March 24, 2006 5:42:49 AM

It's foolish to upgrade just before a major technology change which normally happens once every 3 years or so. Having said that September is still a while away. I was always against buying top end hardware because you get an extra 20% power for 3 times more $.

That old pc of yours is not acceptable IMHO anymore and a quick $1500 should fix up a good base system that will be about 10X + faster in games.

My recommendation is to buy a highish end Athlon64 4000+ (if you want power for games) or X2 if you want to encode videos etc now. This will not break your bank and will allow you to upgrade in a years or a bit later time.
Get 2 Gigs of cheap RAM, which is not much slower but will be easy to give away when you get your Conroe upgrade with 4gigs DDR2 at 800Mhz or whatever :D  that will cost probably about $1500

You should also upgrade your GFX card more often than 4 years. You should pick up something like a 6800GS now and maybe upgrade to a top end DX10 card later this year (if you feel you are not happy with the 6800GS). Traditionally Graphics cards make a much bigger difference in games than the CPUs.

It's much better to get middle to high end PC now and keep upgrading when needed than trying to buy a TOP END PC which WILL suck in 3 years time compared to a cheap mainstream PC.

You can also pick up a Physics processor card add on towards the end of the year, if you need it. Don't buy it now for $10000 because it sounds cool.

Just another thing, get yourself a good case like mine (an Antec P180) which will last through the upgrading ages. It seems to me that buying a good PSU also helps. But then again in 3 years time you will probably need a 800W PSU.

Find a good way to sell your components to a friend or something. Most of the time they cover at least half of my upgrading costs.

Gabor
!