Power Problem

I have tried to find an answer to this problem but still
remain clueless. Ever since I download SP2 and had a bios
update the PC will not power up properly. What happens is
when you turn the power strip on the pc acts like it is
booting up for about 4 seconds and then goes off. The
lights blink and acts just like you pressed the power on
button when you didn't. Why is it doing this. Before
when you turned the power strip on it wouldn't do anyting
until you pushed the power on button. The machine is an
IBM - I can't find any IBM discussion forums to ask about
this problem. Has anyone else experienced this? It is
really annoying and I'm concerned it is damaging my
machine. Please help - I am clueless in PC land!

Unless you use the correct procedure for power down on your computer, you
will always have problems.. why do you use the power strip to turn it off?