Alienware sells out like the punks they are...

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Well, how depressing. Another American Dream sold out to the highest bidder. A real, independant company, that started out from nothing, and now they are just another corporate owned name. I'll never buy an Alienware now. They can keep it seperate, but we know that we are buying DELLS instead of independantly made machines... :?

Dell Inc. (DELL) picked up private Alienware Corp., which specializes in ultra-spiffy computers for gamers, for undisclosed terms. The advantage to Alienware is obvious: even with the brands kept separate, Dell's logistical expertise is legendary. Meanwhile, Dell has a strong technological motivation.

From a business standpoint, selling personal computers to gamers isn't really a growth industry. The shelf space in a typical Gamestop Corp. (GME) store dedicated to PC games has dwindled dramatically in recent years. In fact, apart from the massively multiplayer games and some strategy games, which are still best served by the PC market, most video games have shifted to the consoles. Granted, those games and the gamers who game them are more than enough to create a market for Alienware, but Dell already had gaming PCs available. So based purely on the numbers, there seems to be little reason for Dell to make the acquisition.

Technologically speaking, there seems to be speculation that Dell is using this as an initial overture with Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD), which are used in the Alienware machines. But this sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else; why pay millions – Alienware has about $200 million in annual sales – for a third-party company when a phone call to AMD would be free? While that's not the company's main motivation, though, undeniably Dell is now working with AMD. That has to be seen as a positive for AMD and a negative for Intel Corp. (INTC)

Actually, the key to deal can be found in Alienware’s substantial expertise in cooling.

Modern processors (both central processors and such things as bridge or graphic controllers) run very hot – temperatures between 60 degrees and 90 degrees Celcius are quite normal for CPUs. At the very high end, heavy-duty gamers are willing to go to extremes to keep their systems cool.

Alienware's liquid cooling system is refined, compact, mass-producable and addresses one of the biggest issues with powerful computers. (If temperatures creep too high, systems crash; most companies maintain a chilled room for their servers for this reason.) Self-cooling servers or workstations could be a substantial advantage for Dell's high-end market. This could potentially lead to sales gains company-wide at Dell that are much larger than the cost of Alienware. In this light, the deal seems not only prudent, but cagey.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I wouldn't have bought them before. They were overpriced before they were owned by Dell. $2600 for a PC I could build for $1500. And sorry, the fancy looking cases aren't worth $1100 to me. At least they used top end parts though.

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
A real, independant company, that started out from nothing,

Just like Dell. I don't know what the big deal is. If I owned Alienware and someone offered me trunkloads of fresh cash for it, I think I'd sell too and then move to a deserted island somewhere. Isn't that the American dream?

Jazmodo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
....but we know that we are buying DELLS instead of independantly made machines... :?

Hmmm, i agree partly, Alienware was, and is a great computer manafacturer. But I doubt Dell will change Alienware at all... maybe admin... purchasing... but i doubt much else. Only them two because dell has vast knowledge of admin, and purchasing because no doubt they can buy parts cheaper than alienware can...

I dont think however they're gonna change the company in any other way... Why change what isn't broken? They PC's will still be made in the same way, by the same people...

For the time being anyway..... :?

On the plus side, Dell now have an AMD connection... Now watch the fanboys squirm and fight over that thought... But it would be nice to see a Dell-Opteron Server... I doubt they would consider using the Athlon 64... No need really.... the performance at the moment isn't to different between the two, granded AMD has the upper hand for now...

But as we all no, the Opteron is a diffrent story !

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I envy alienware for the fact that their rig are awesome and ultra expensive, don't get me wrong but if I got a lot of money, I'd get the best Alienware gaming system for sure.

Now it's not Alienware anymore. It's Dell, the generic computer. So I don't think that's good unless they could get the price go down. But in the end it's still gonna be a Dell made Alienware system.

It's like a Ferrari car manufactured by Kia.

But I guess it's a better move for Alienware business wise rather than compete in an already crowded and hostile costum pc builders.

NVance6425

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I wouldn't have bought them before. They were overpriced before they were owned by Dell. $2600 for a PC I could build for $1500. And sorry, the fancy looking cases aren't worth $1100 to me. At least they used top end parts though.

Amen brother. Besides, most of the major brand names in existance are owned my a handfull of parent companies anyway. Most of the time major acquisitions make no difference at all in how the company is run. It just changes the bank account that all the money finally stops in.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Agreed about the overpricing. Alienware's are for people too weak to build their own. Does this mean now that Alienware is going to be using intel only? Because that would be quite lame.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I envy alienware for the fact that their rig are awesome and ultra expensive, don't get me wrong but if I got a lot of money, I'd get the best Alienware gaming system for sure.

Now it's not Alienware anymore. It's Dell, the generic computer. So I don't think that's good unless they could get the price go down. But in the end it's still gonna be a Dell made Alienware system.

It's like a Ferrari car manufactured by Kia.

But I guess it's a better move for Alienware business wise rather than compete in an already crowded and hostile costum pc builders.

I mean even if they decided to keep the SAME high end parts ... (which I doubt), the simple fact is NOW you are going to have DELL support and DELL technicians...

that sucks...

And MARK MY WORDS, within 6 months you're going to see an "Alienware" computer mass produced in the malls for around 400 dollars, and its going to built CRAPPY with CRAPPY cooling and a halfway decent graphics card, and sold to kids to try and compete with the blossoming CONSOLE market...

You know those little Dell kiosks in the mall? Well, they are going to hire some spiky haired kid that can say "Dude you're getting a Dell", to sit at the mall and play video games and try to trick parents of 12 years old walking by into purchasing this gaming machine that can double as a productive work machine. I can hear the salesman now...

"Think about it Mrs. Smith, you can buy your son an Xbox 360 or a PS3 or the awesome Nintendo Revolution for around the same amount of money, but with this ALIENWARE computer your kid can also use the computer to EDUCATE himself and do homework..."

crap - Dell should buy me...

pauldh

Illustrious
If I had an unlimited amount of money I'd still build my own; probably monthly. ;)

But if I had to choose a prebuilt exotic rig, it would come from Falcon Northwest not Alienware. Something about seeing and tinkering with Alienwares at Best Buy retail stores that just cheapened their appeal for me.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Agreed about the overpricing. Alienware's are for people too weak to build their own. Does this mean now that Alienware is going to be using intel only? Because that would be quite lame.

Yeah, if that's the case then say good bye to Alienware and without AMD cpu option, that would mean cutting off 50% or more of it's costumer. Who know's, maybe they ( Dell ) know this and would build and AMD version just like Alienware does.

mpjesse

Splendid
You doomsayers are all alike.

How exactly would it be in Dell's best interest to butcher Alienware?

If anything Alienware is going to be more competitive. Dell has insane buying power. They can get video cards, memory, and CPU's for a lot cheaper than what Alienware can.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
You doomsayers are all alike.

How exactly would it be in Dell's best interest to butcher Alienware?

If anything Alienware is going to be more competitive. Dell has insane buying power. They can get video cards, memory, and CPU's for a lot cheaper than what Alienware can.

As I said. Even if they keep all the top notch components, there is NO WAY they are going to keep Alienwares support team... they are going to incorporate it ALL into Dell...

WOWchamp

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2005
Your partly correct angry_duck....

your just need to substitie alienware for the word it.

Alienwares are completely overpriced, way to much to even be considered. Adding in costs of everything you would get in terms of software/support/os it still is a waste of money. Mass market PC's usually disable and kind of OC'ing in the BIOS. The support more often then not does not help and sucks. The ONLY benifit is the non activation version of your OS... but im not paying 500$-800$ for that... no spank me.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If I had an unlimited amount of money I'd still build my own; probably monthly. ;)

But if I had to choose a prebuilt exotic rig, it would come from Falcon Northwest not Alienware. Something about seeing and tinkering with Alienwares at Best Buy retail stores that just cheapened their appeal for me.

if you wanted to stay at the cutting edge, you'd have to build a new one every week. one year in technology is like 15-20 human years, if not more.

xBlueBoron

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
The bid advatage I see is now maybe Dell will offer a nice Alienware computer with a free 24" Dell monitor. Now maybe that $1000+ more it will cost to buy a computer as apposed to building it will be worth it when you count the warranty and everything.

TRENDING THREADS