Need Disc for Windows 7 clean install!!

shawn48

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
I just got my new HP DV6T in today. I want to do a clean install to get rid of all the bloatware, but HP didn't send me any discs with my laptop. I don't know anyone who has bought Windows 7, so I can't borrow a disc.

Sooo..How do I do a clean install? I hear you can buy just the disc at the Windows store, but I couldn't find it.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
You can call HP and request one. If you configured the system online, shame on you for saving $5 on not selecting the DVD for the OS. :)

Alternatively, if you have a friend with a Technet subscription, you may be able to pester them into downloading and burning a copy for you. Check with your lawyer first, but I don't think there's anything to worry about since it's just media and not a license.

Using the Technet DVD, you will want to cancel activation during the installation since it will fail immediately if you enter a retail or HP OEM key, but will activate just fine using this same information once installation is complete if done manually in the control panel.

Learned this the hard way when I was shipped Win7 Pro 32-bit media with my Ultimate 64 license via a reseller program. For the first time in a couple of years, I was happy to have forgotten to cancel Technet.

Just don't torrent OS media. Legal stuff aside, you don't want your new copy of Windows to come with a backdoor.

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

There may be a hidden partition on your HDD that contains the necessary files to reinstall the OS. Read your documentation or check with HP to see if that's the case. There also might be a procedure/process/executable to allow you to make recovery discs. My brother's Toshiba laptop came with a hidden partition to reinstall but there was supposed to be a Windows executable to make the recovery discs but it wasn't there so he had to call Toshiba and have them send him a recovery CD.

tk9780

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I’m almost certain that OS issued with HP PC are single use units and come encumbered with HP software. So stopping the clean OS install or transfer another PC. I know my HP PC- Vista Home ‘compressed’ back up is still some 12GB.
There was an option to purchase a stand alone version of the OS through HP but it was a lot more than $5
All HP stuff can either be uninstalled or switch off in MSCONFIG or Manager