Deleting Annoying Folders

September 4, 2004 4:34:55 PM

Is there any way to permanently delete the "My Documents"
folder that windows has created? I would also like to
permanently delete the "Shared Documents" and the other
folder that windows creates with your name on it.

I keep deleting the "My Documents" folder and it keeps
coming back. The other two folders can't be deleted
according to the windows message. I already have a "My
Documents" folder that I created in the "C" drive where I
like it.

Any suggestions - thanks
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 8:11:20 PM

One cannot delete Windows XP system folders. If you wish to
remove the "My Documents" icon from your Desktop, then
right-click on the Desktop and select Properties > Desktop >
Customize Desktop. Then uncheck the box next to the
"My Documents" icon and click OK and Apply.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Snip" wrote:

| Is there any way to permanently delete the "My Documents"
| folder that windows has created? I would also like to
| permanently delete the "Shared Documents" and the other
| folder that windows creates with your name on it.
|
| I keep deleting the "My Documents" folder and it keeps
| coming back. The other two folders can't be deleted
| according to the windows message. I already have a "My
| Documents" folder that I created in the "C" drive where I
| like it.
|
| Any suggestions - thanks
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 10:58:56 PM

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:34:55 -0700, Snip wrote:

> Is there any way to permanently delete the "My Documents"
> folder that windows has created? I would also like to
> permanently delete the "Shared Documents" and the other
> folder that windows creates with your name on it.
>
> I keep deleting the "My Documents" folder and it keeps
> coming back. The other two folders can't be deleted
> according to the windows message. I already have a "My
> Documents" folder that I created in the "C" drive where I
> like it.
>
> Any suggestions - thanks

Snip, I keep all of my documents in I:\MyDocs. By right clicking the My
Documents shortcut, selecting Properties and redirecting the shortcut to
that folder. Works well. Anything that defaults to "My Documents" will end
up in the folder that I've created. Double-clicking My Documents shows the
contents of the folder as well.

The original "My Documents" folder still exists under Documents and
Settings. Since it is now empty, I just ignore it.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

:
: I keep deleting the "My Documents" folder and it keeps
: coming back. The other two folders can't be deleted
: according to the windows message. I already have a "My
: Documents" folder that I created in the "C" drive where I
: like it.
:
: Any suggestions - thanks
Those folders are used often by windows and third party software. There
are ways to move them but if you plan on re-designing windows you may
want to discover Google and MS Help and support. "Windows XP Annoyances"
is a good book.
TonyS
!