Strange buzzing/feedback from Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremey

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2005
Ok I've had this strange problem for awhile now. I have Creative 7.1 speakers and Audigy 2 soundcard, and they emit a weird buzzing/feedback type noise. It's not all the time, but often. I thought it might be the soundcard but it does it even when my computer is powered off, so I assume that means it's the speakers? The other odd thing is it's loudest as soon as I click the volume on, the further I turn it up, the quieter it gets. If I put the volume all the way up (with no music playing), it is still there, but very faint.

I have tried just plugging one speaker in at a time and checking all 7, and they all do it...does this mean something is messed up in the subwoofer which I plug all the speakers into?

Overall I'm not too happy with the speakers anyway. I think I might pick up some of the Logitech Z-2300s at Newegg when they get back in stock since there is such a great deal on them right now.

EDIT: Here is a movie I took with my digi cam so you can here what it sounds like (1.5MB)

http://web.syr.edu/~jjanders/SpeakerBuzz.avi

Tron014

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I had the same problem with my home surround set, as soon as you turned it on it buzzed, this happened on all the speakes and the subwoofer, I took the unit apart and the conclusion I came to was the power supply in the subwoofer, I could not fix it so threw it away and got some more. I checked all the soulder joints and the wiring, I must admitt after working in electronics myself, the soldering on these products are not very good.

if its still has a garentee take them back.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Ok I've had this strange problem for awhile now. I have Creative 7.1 speakers and Audigy 2 soundcard, and they emit a weird buzzing/feedback type noise. It's not all the time, but often. I thought it might be the soundcard but it does it even when my computer is powered off, so I assume that means it's the speakers? The other odd thing is it's loudest as soon as I click the volume on, the further I turn it up, the quieter it gets. If I put the volume all the way up (with no music playing), it is still there, but very faint.

I have tried just plugging one speaker in at a time and checking all 7, and they all do it...does this mean something is messed up in the subwoofer which I plug all the speakers into?

Overall I'm not too happy with the speakers anyway. I think I might pick up some of the Logitech Z-2300s at Newegg when they get back in stock since there is such a great deal on them right now.

EDIT: Here is a movie I took with my digi cam so you can here what it sounds like (1.5MB)

http://web.syr.edu/~jjanders/SpeakerBuzz.avi

I had a similar problem, and found out that if I UNMUTED my microphone/line in the hiss would go away.... strange huh? if it was muted, then the noise would come back....

Tron014

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
this may sound strange but after listening to your speakers do you know what that reminded me of, when you have a mobile phone to close to the speakers, it happens to my wifs computer every time I walk in the room with my phone. so if your mobile is next to the speakers move it away.

I know this may not be the fault but worth a try.

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Ok I've had this strange problem for awhile now. I have Creative 7.1 speakers and Audigy 2 soundcard, and they emit a weird buzzing/feedback type noise. It's not all the time, but often. I thought it might be the soundcard but it does it even when my computer is powered off, so I assume that means it's the speakers?

sounds like bee's are making a nest. :?

The other odd thing is it's loudest as soon as I click the volume on, the further I turn it up, the quieter it gets. If I put the volume all the way up (with no music playing), it is still there, but very faint.

Well of course, if you were making honey and some fool was trying to make noise you be buzzing too. :p

try smoking and puffing the smoke at the speakers it will soothe the bee's they like smoke. :roll:

Well the bees won't be too happy about this decision. In fact if I was a bee I'd probably sting you just for thinking about it. :twisted:

yep, sounds like bees alright.

-------------------------------

Seriously it sounds like you are picking up interference from something. I would say start by unplugging all devices that are in the room the computer is.

Another thing is this interference could be coming from inside the computer itself. So if after you unplug all devices in the room it's in and the noise persists it is likely inside the computer.

Jeremey

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2005
Ok, so the speakers started making the noise again today...I've thought it might be interference as well, since sometimes it does do it if I am on my cell phone or my cell is nearby.

However, when it happened today I unplugged the sub, volume control, and one speaker, and brought it into a totally different room in my apartment, and plugged everything in. The noise persisted.

Either the area I live is full of electrical interference, or the speakers are bad.

I'm going to bring them into work tomorrow and plug them in there, and see if it happens there too. If so, I figure something inside the sub is causing it. I'm not sure if it's something I can fix or if I should just get new speakers. They're well past the warranty period.

Keep in mind it's not the computer, this happens when I just plug the sub/speaker into the wall, not even hooked up to the computer.

uberclops

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Do you have any lights inside your pc? I used to have these blue lights around my fans and whenever I turned them on my speakers would buzz. It is probably interfearence, just look for anything else in your case that could be causing it :D Let me know if this helps.

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
A poorly shielded (ie low grade) PSU will give this sympton. What happens if you plug the speakers into your TV/DVD Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.