Realtime Weather Woes...

Well, decided to bite the bullet and stop swanning about the sky aimlessly
and actually go through the flight lessons, get my head round ATC and
generally do it properly. Started off by getting all the settings as
realistic as possible but hit a snag with the downloading of the real-time
weather updates.
It (whoops, sorry... MSFS 2004 Cent. of Flight) throws up an error
message asking me to check connection and config of my connection. Now, this
is a 1Mb USB, always on type and is working perfectly.
Perhaps they've changed the weather server address? Any ideas on how to
troubleshoot this? Where is the address stored?

Pharm..
--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply.

"...The people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being
attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and
exposing the country to greater danger "

-- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

"DB" <db@nydb.net> wrote in message news:eek:HXqe.587$Gy3.359@fe12.lga...
> Are you allowing your firewall to send the info out??
>
> Damian

Yes... went through the MS knowledge base and tried EVERYTHING! In the end
it too a total re-install of MSFS 2004 to sort it out.... Phew!

Mind you, it runs a lot sweeter now. Perhaps there was some corrupted
files...

Pharm..

dallas

<patorn@verizon.net>
> The Real-World Weather servers are down and not running.
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?qu=836186

Not true.

From Microsoft:
To check your connection to the Internet and to the Real-World Weather
servers, follow these steps: 1. Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
2. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://fs2k.zone.com
3. If you can connect to the Web site and view the Web site content,
the weather servers are operational.

I connected just fine.

Dallas

Arthur

I tried connecting and it wouldn't (0900, June 13 DST). Yesterday, I got
that awful black screen continually telling me to check my internet
connection, even after I turned Real-Weather off. Needless to say, I was
disappointed.

Arthur

> <patorn@verizon.net>
>> The Real-World Weather servers are down and not running.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?qu=836186
>
> Not true.
>
> From Microsoft:
> To check your connection to the Internet and to the Real-World Weather
> servers, follow these steps: 1. Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
> 2. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
> http://fs2k.zone.com
> 3. If you can connect to the Web site and view the Web site content,
> the weather servers are operational.
>

> I connected just fine.
>
> Dallas

JaaP

Pharmanaut wrote:
> Well, decided to bite the bullet and stop swanning about the sky aimlessly
> and actually go through the flight lessons, get my head round ATC and
> generally do it properly. Started off by getting all the settings as
> realistic as possible but hit a snag with the downloading of the real-time
> weather updates.
> It (whoops, sorry... MSFS 2004 Cent. of Flight) throws up an error
> message asking me to check connection and config of my connection. Now, this
> is a 1Mb USB, always on type and is working perfectly.
> Perhaps they've changed the weather server address? Any ideas on how to
> troubleshoot this? Where is the address stored?
>
> Pharm..

Things seem to get much stranger. I'm connecting from the Netherlands,
and have not been able to download any weather files lately. I decided
to investigate further, and found that attempting to connect to
fs2k.zone.com (207.68.189.96) fails with a (110) Connection timed out.

I was curious whether the browser I used mattered, so I tried using IE
and Firefox, but that didn't help.

Next thing I tried was to see if I was being blocked based on my IP for
some unknown reason. I connected to a unix shell account running at my
provider, and attempted to connect to the above url using lynx, a linux
commandline-based browser. Seeing as how that machine obviously has an
entirely different IP address, it would prove or disprove whether it
was 'personal'. Turns out it wasn't, I see the exact same thing happening.

I then tried using a web-based tool that connects from another country.
Try for yourself: go to http://www.hexillion.com/samples/AspTcpQuery.asp
and fill in the server field with fs2k.zone.com, then click go. You'll
see that the connection is fine, and the page is loaded correctly.

I'm lost here. It seems that us Dutchies are simply not able to connect
to the FS weather service, but why on earth would that be ?

Regards,

JJ

rod

"Jaap" <dontwant@directmail.com> wrote in message
> Pharmanaut wrote:
>> Well, decided to bite the bullet and stop swanning about the sky
>> aimlessly and actually go through the flight lessons, get my head round
>> ATC and generally do it properly. Started off by getting all the settings
>> as realistic as possible but hit a snag with the downloading of the
>> real-time weather updates.
>> It (whoops, sorry... MSFS 2004 Cent. of Flight) throws up an error
>> message asking me to check connection and config of my connection. Now,
>> this is a 1Mb USB, always on type and is working perfectly.
>> Perhaps they've changed the weather server address? Any ideas on how
>> to troubleshoot this? Where is the address stored?
>>
>> Pharm..
>
> Things seem to get much stranger. I'm connecting from the Netherlands, and
> have not been able to download any weather files lately. I decided
> to investigate further, and found that attempting to connect to
> fs2k.zone.com (207.68.189.96) fails with a (110) Connection timed out.
>
> I was curious whether the browser I used mattered, so I tried using IE and
> Firefox, but that didn't help.
>
> Next thing I tried was to see if I was being blocked based on my IP for
> some unknown reason. I connected to a unix shell account running at my
> provider, and attempted to connect to the above url using lynx, a linux
> commandline-based browser. Seeing as how that machine obviously has an
> entirely different IP address, it would prove or disprove whether it
> was 'personal'. Turns out it wasn't, I see the exact same thing happening.
>
> I then tried using a web-based tool that connects from another country.
> Try for yourself: go to http://www.hexillion.com/samples/AspTcpQuery.asp
> and fill in the server field with fs2k.zone.com, then click go. You'll
> see that the connection is fine, and the page is loaded correctly.
>
> I'm lost here. It seems that us Dutchies are simply not able to connect
> to the FS weather service, but why on earth would that be ?
>
> Regards,
>
> JJ

I am from Melbourne, Australia. Over the past few days I've experienced the
same problem. I still cannot download real weather.

rod

"Rod" <roger@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Jaap" <dontwant@directmail.com> wrote in message
>> Pharmanaut wrote:
>>> Well, decided to bite the bullet and stop swanning about the sky
>>> aimlessly and actually go through the flight lessons, get my head round
>>> ATC and generally do it properly. Started off by getting all the
>>> settings as realistic as possible but hit a snag with the downloading of
>>> the real-time weather updates.
>>> It (whoops, sorry... MSFS 2004 Cent. of Flight) throws up an error
>>> message asking me to check connection and config of my connection. Now,
>>> this is a 1Mb USB, always on type and is working perfectly.
>>> Perhaps they've changed the weather server address? Any ideas on how
>>> to troubleshoot this? Where is the address stored?
>>>
>>> Pharm..
>>
>> Things seem to get much stranger. I'm connecting from the Netherlands,
>> and have not been able to download any weather files lately. I decided
>> to investigate further, and found that attempting to connect to
>> fs2k.zone.com (207.68.189.96) fails with a (110) Connection timed out.
>>
>> I was curious whether the browser I used mattered, so I tried using IE
>> and Firefox, but that didn't help.
>>
>> Next thing I tried was to see if I was being blocked based on my IP for
>> some unknown reason. I connected to a unix shell account running at my
>> provider, and attempted to connect to the above url using lynx, a linux
>> commandline-based browser. Seeing as how that machine obviously has an
>> entirely different IP address, it would prove or disprove whether it
>> was 'personal'. Turns out it wasn't, I see the exact same thing
>> happening.
>>
>> I then tried using a web-based tool that connects from another country.
>> Try for yourself: go to http://www.hexillion.com/samples/AspTcpQuery.asp
>> and fill in the server field with fs2k.zone.com, then click go. You'll
>> see that the connection is fine, and the page is loaded correctly.
>>
>> I'm lost here. It seems that us Dutchies are simply not able to connect
>> to the FS weather service, but why on earth would that be ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> JJ
>
> I am from Melbourne, Australia. Over the past few days I've experienced
> the same problem. I still cannot download real weather.

I must take back the last sentence from my previous post. I can now access
real weather. Nothing on my behalf rectified the problem.

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:02:34 +1000, Rod wrote:

> I am from Melbourne, Australia. Over the past few days I've experienced the
> same problem. I still cannot download real weather.

Microsoft's servers were down for maintenance, or so they said... ;)

Bill

"BL" == "Bill Leaming" writes:

BL> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:02:34 +1000, Rod wrote:
BL>
BL> > I am from Melbourne, Australia. Over the past few days I've
BL> > experienced the same problem. I still cannot download real
BL> > weather.
BL>
BL> Microsoft's servers were down for maintenance, or so they said...
BL> ;)
BL>
BL> Bill

Hey, that's great news!

So all weather activity has to stop! ;-)

Why is it that FS can't get real weather from "real weather places" -
like weather stations/airports/etc?

--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod

>> I am from Melbourne, Australia. Over the past few days I've
>> experienced the same problem. I still cannot download real weather.

I seem to recall that the only real weather in Melbourne is rain, and the
Yarra flowing upside down?

Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No, Melbourne has all types of weather known to man

Usually within a few hours................................