WinXP SP2 and ZoneAlarm Firewall

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Too All:

I just installed WinXP SP2 by way of the CD that I ordered for free from MS.
So far, the only problem that I have is with ZoneAlarm.

I am running ZA 4.5.594.000 as the reviews that I have read on the latest
version are unfavorable. I have been using ZA for about 3 years.

I am also behind a hardware firewall, so ZA is mainly for monitoring
programs (or adware/spyware/trojans) that are trying to phone home (which
has helped me in the past). From what I have read the WinXP SP2 firewall
does this capability.

Following instructions from my PC manufacturer (Dell):

Turn Windows Firewall Off
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090192&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=#step1

and

How Do I Prevent Microsoft® Security Center® from Giving Me Warnings When it
Doesn't Recognize My Firewall Software?
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1089839&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=I have done the following:Control Panel -> Security Center -> Firewall -> OffandControl Panel -> Security Center -> Firewall Recommendations -> I have afirewall solution that I'll monitor myselfNOW THE PROBLEMThe Security Center is NOT remembering this setting and ever time that Istart my PC:1) I get a warning balloon message from the Security Center2) ZA's startup hangs until I dismiss this message3) Control Panel -> Security Center -> Firewall Recommendations -> I havea firewall solution that I'll monitor myself - is unchecked and I have tocheck it again.NOW THE QUESTIONS:1) Does anyone know how to fix this problem by the GUI?2) Does anyone know how to fix this problem by editing the Registry?Thanks,Steve

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Smiling Wickedly, Steve answered:

> Too All:
>
> I just installed WinXP SP2 by way of the CD that I ordered for free from MS.
> So far, the only problem that I have is with ZoneAlarm.

Upgrade to the latest version of ZA 5.x I noticed this first, but then
read it was known, that apparently the latest ZA will install properly
and turn OFF the windows FW by default.

Worked for me.

ALSO running NAV 2004 pro,,and did a Liveupdate. It downloaded a WMI
update , and now NAV works properly with the XP sp2 security center.

Michael
--
/`\\\
( @ @ )

Alan

Steve wrote:

> Too All:
>
> I just installed WinXP SP2 by way of the CD that I ordered for free from MS.
> So far, the only problem that I have is with ZoneAlarm.
>
> I am running ZA 4.5.594.000 as the reviews that I have read on the latest
> version are unfavorable. I have been using ZA for about 3 years.
>
> I am also behind a hardware firewall, so ZA is mainly for monitoring
> programs (or adware/spyware/trojans) that are trying to phone home (which
> has helped me in the past). From what I have read the WinXP SP2 firewall
> does this capability.
>
> Following instructions from my PC manufacturer (Dell):
>
> Turn Windows Firewall Off
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090192&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=#step1
>
> and
>
> How Do I Prevent Microsoft® Security Center® from Giving Me Warnings When it
> Doesn't Recognize My Firewall Software?
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1089839&c=us&l=en&s=gen&cs=I have done the following:Control Panel -> Security Center -> Firewall -> OffandControl Panel -> Security Center -> Firewall Recommendations -> I have afirewall solution that I'll monitor myselfNOW THE PROBLEMThe Security Center is NOT remembering this setting and ever time that Istart my PC:1) I get a warning balloon message from the Security Center2) ZA's startup hangs until I dismiss this message3) Control Panel -> Security Center -> Firewall Recommendations -> I havea firewall solution that I'll monitor myself - is unchecked and I have tocheck it again.NOW THE QUESTIONS:1) Does anyone know how to fix this problem by the GUI?2) Does anyone know how to fix this problem by editing the Registry?Thanks,Steve

On the main screen of the Security Center, there is a link to
Change The Way The Security Center Alerts Me. Did you click on
it and change the setting for Firewall Alerts to none by
unchecking the button?