O2 and HTC to Sell Phone Without a Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Going green" is corporate speak for "this will save us a ton of money." This is just like the printer companies not including the USB cables...

G

What if the phone included a coupon for the appropriate charging cable, that way if you need one you can use the coupon.

G

I would genuinely believe they did it for the environment if they offered a free charger for anyone who actually needs. Otherwise, all I see is corporate greed.

[citation][nom]phamtom[/nom]I would genuinely believe they did it for the environment if they offered a free charger for anyone who actually needs. Otherwise, all I see is corporate greed.[/citation]
So instead of plugging the phone into the charger they will have to run there PC just to charge there phone when they could have shut it down and plugged the phone into a usb wall charger good move!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this is quite stupid. people who buy the phone will likely buy a charger separately, and if they already have one, theyre likely to buy a spare. nothing to do with going "green", just corporate greed talking. the goal to customer inconvenience.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]this is quite stupid. people who buy the phone will likely buy a charger separately, and if they already have one, theyre likely to buy a spare.[/citation]
Why? If they already have a phone they've probably got the spares too. On, wait, general bitterness...

I think it is a good initiative.
I have several devices (smartphone, tablet, mice, keyboard, camera, MP3 player & Bluetooth headphones ) that use the same USB charger. Out of the 7 chargers I use only two.
Just remember to pass the savings to the consumer....JK...they never do that!

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]samkl[/nom]Good call HTC. Apple can you join as well?-SK[/citation]
Nobody has an Apple charger. They have to have their own proprietary one, changed for the newest phone (or get ripped off for a $30 adapter).

mavroxur

Distinguished
I kinda have to agree with them on this one. I literally have a dozen Micro USB chargers floating around my house, my car, my office, etc, all of which are modern 1A+ adapters.

sslapikas

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Actually I like this, not to buy things I do not need and buy later (or in store with phone) if I really need to. Especially for chargers and USB cables, they are just everywhere and I even try to get rid of them.. Makes sense to me especially if you pay less for device(but who knows)

G

"I have a simple vision for O2: we want to take the chargers out of the boxes but charge the customer the same price. .... no wait, in fact, lets say we do it for the environment and charge MORE! "

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
What about for when chargers break? My GF and I both have car chargers, and both are starting to show the wires underneath. And she's on her third wall charger because she kept getting lemons that would break after a month. If this is really about green, then offer a coupon for a charger, as someone else said above. But don't stop giving them completely because some people really could use another charger.

ankaj

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
This sounds like a good idea, if the price of purchasing the phone and an extra charger, if needed, stays the same. ie the phone costs $20-30 less than it would with the charger. Otherwise, this is about green, but not the environmentaly friendly kind.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
This is idiotic. How many chargers are sold separately regardless of the fact that they currently come with one in the box? TONS! Why? Because they're made of cheap parts and they break. Or, someone steals them. Or, you simply lose it. This has nothing to do with reducing waste, it's about maximizing profits. They'll charge the same cost for the phone and quadruple accessory sales. If you can't see through this blatant marketing scheme, you're naive.

sslapikas

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]This is idiotic. How many chargers are sold separately regardless of the fact that they currently come with one in the box? TONS! Why? Because they're made of cheap parts and they break. Or, someone steals them. Or, you simply lose it. This has nothing to do with reducing waste, it's about maximizing profits. They'll charge the same cost for the phone and quadruple accessory sales. If you can't see through this blatant marketing scheme, you're naive.[/citation]

Well, this is your problem if you loose them, no one is going to replace charger (or whatever you loose) for free.
I never bought any charger or cable(to replace that is). Probably there is another thing to consider: look after your things and you will not need to replace them for a long time..?

Status
Not open for further replies.