Two hard drives same cpu

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Computers
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
April 6, 2011 4:08:38 PM

i built me a gaming computer with windows 7, its up and running. I have a old Dell with Windows Xp that i have had for 5 years. I want to put that hard drive in my new computer. is this possible? will there be any conflicts? I want to make it so maybe in bios i can select witch OS to boot up. Or maybe it defaults to Win7 and i can switch to WinXp whenever i wanted. Im a little nervious about putting this old hard drive in my new computer. It runs great now i would hate to F--- it up!! Can anybody help???

More about : hard drives cpu

a c 255 $ Windows 7
April 6, 2011 4:58:37 PM

The old drive doesn't have the necessary drivers to run on the new motherboard. You may get lucky and a repair install of XP might fix it.

The only way to dual boot in this situation is if your bios has a "boot menu" at startup. It may say something like "F12: Boot device" at which point you'd hit F12 and select the drive to boot from.
m
l
April 6, 2011 5:10:29 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
The old drive doesn't have the necessary drivers to run on the new motherboard. You may get lucky and a repair install of XP might fix it.

The only way to dual boot in this situation is if your bios has a "boot menu" at startup. It may say something like "F12: Boot device" at which point you'd hit F12 and select the drive to boot from.

the motherboard i have is the Sabertooth X58, the hard drive might be 4 years old. you think i should just scratch the idea? I just had alot of suff on the old drive i wanted to keep but didnt want to put it on the new computer. I wanted to keep it "clean"... I just wanted to save some space and get rid of that piece of s---t.
m
l
Related resources
a c 255 $ Windows 7
April 6, 2011 5:24:12 PM

By stuff, what do you mean? Data files such as music, videos, and pictures? If so, you can mount the old drive in the new computer and then delete the windows folder and any other unnecessary folders from the old drive... basically turning the old drive into a storage drive.

You will be able to access the old drive from Win7. You'll most likely need to go into "disk management" and assign the drive a letter before it shows up in Win7.
m
l
April 6, 2011 5:31:14 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
By stuff, what do you mean? Data files such as music, videos, and pictures? If so, you can mount the old drive in the new computer and then delete the windows folder and any other unnecessary folders from the old drive... basically turning the old drive into a storage drive.

You will be able to access the old drive from Win7. You'll most likely need to go into "disk management" and assign the drive a letter before it shows up in Win7.

i have some word docs and micosoft outlook that i dont have the discs for. thats just for starters. im thinking your idea as a data drive might be the way to go. But i cant access email and other documents if the program isnt on Win7 is that correct?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2011 6:00:14 PM

That is correct. You can't just install the drive and boot windows xp. Although it would be nice, the drivers of your new system are different, and in most cases the drive would just fail to boot giving a generic windows is unable to load error.

Personally I would go with the data drive option. Depending on where you live though and if your a student you might have access to office on the cheap from microsoft at ultimatesteal.com

Alternatively you can always use openoffice to view/edit the files.
Windows livemail or thunderbird might also do the trick as email clients (both are free). Both have an import from outlook function. You might be able to just hook up the drive, and let it search for the outlook data file that stores all your emails.
m
l