I Really Need Help

Last response: in Video Games
June 12, 2005 1:06:05 PM

Hello all, Im new to this community although I have been playing FS
since my Atari 800xl.

I have a very good system:

P4 3 prescot, Intel Perl 865, 2GBs (512x4)PC3200 DDR400, GF FX 5900 le
(128MB), Audigy2 ls, Creative Labs DTT3500 HT, LCD 17", DSL768 on
Windows XP SP2.

My systems seems to work fine, but everytime I have tried to install
MFS2004 after my last Windows XP reinstallation in my HD, I received
this error during installing the MSF2004 from the cd:

"Setup failed to extract files from E:\MSGAME3.CAB. This is most likely
caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping files) or a corrupted
cabinet file. Please restart your machine and reinstall again."

I have 24gbs free on my hard drive, and my CDs roms seems to work fine.
I have tried to install it from my 2 cds roms, I have get different
copies of the cds, even from other friends that also have the original
versions, and nothing. The error sometimes occurs during installing cd
1 or cd 2.

I have tried everything and nothing. Any idea guys????????

I really appreciate your guidance and support on this.

Mav

More about : question

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:42:24 PM

>P4 3 prescot, Intel Perl 865, 2GBs (512x4)PC3200 DDR400, GF FX 5900 le
>(128MB), Audigy2 ls, Creative Labs DTT3500 HT, LCD 17", DSL768 on
>Windows XP SP2.
>
>My systems seems to work fine, but everytime I have tried to install
>MFS2004 after my last Windows XP reinstallation in my HD, I received
>this error during installing the MSF2004 from the cd:
>
>"Setup failed to extract files from E:\MSGAME3.CAB. This is most likely
>caused by low memory (low disk space for swapping files) or a corrupted
>cabinet file. Please restart your machine and reinstall again."
>
>I have 24gbs free on my hard drive, and my CDs roms seems to work fine.
>I have tried to install it from my 2 cds roms, I have get different
>copies of the cds, even from other friends that also have the original
>versions, and nothing. The error sometimes occurs during installing cd
>1 or cd 2.

Did you install the motherboard drivers after the OS and before trying
to install FS? As strange as it may appear this can be also
symptomatic of bad RAM, did you have it checked?

===
Best Regards
Katy
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:18:08 PM

Thx Katy. Yes, I installed motherboard's drivers after OS. My ram seems
to work fine since all tests have shown no problem. U are not the first
person that mention possible ram problems. What can I do???? U were
very kind.

Mav

June 13, 2005 2:50:30 AM

What did you test your RAM with?

Is the RAM matched?

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"maverick-tef" <maverick-tef@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message news:1118603843.13145@forums.simradar.com...
> Thx Katy. Yes, I installed motherboard's drivers after OS. My ram seems
> to work fine since all tests have shown no problem. U are not the first
> person that mention possible ram problems. What can I do???? U were
> very kind.
>
> Mav

June 13, 2005 1:26:39 PM

Could it be a fixed fixed page file that is too small ?

Just a thought

Steve

ps sounds to me like you would know if you had a virus ?

"Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
> What did you test your RAM with?
>
> Is the RAM matched?
>
> --
> ...Carl Frisk
> Anger is a brief madness.
> - Horace, 20 B.C.
> http://www.carlfrisk.com
>

> "maverick-tef" <maverick-tef@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
>> Thx Katy. Yes, I installed motherboard's drivers after OS. My ram seems
>> to work fine since all tests have shown no problem. U are not the first
>> person that mention possible ram problems. What can I do???? U were
>> very kind. Mav

June 13, 2005 1:26:40 PM

Since you are clearly desperate, I'll make a suggestion that may sound
daft, but I once had exactly the same message, about not being able to
extract from a .cab file (may not of been from FS2004 disc, but no
matter). Turned out that I simply needed to clean the CD-ROM. It
didn't look dirthy in particular, but I washed it carefully in warm
soapy water and dried it with a soft cloth. The extraction went ahead
fine afterwards. Only a small chance that this is your problem, I
know, but thought I'd suggest it just in case it!! Good luck.

Martin
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 1:26:40 PM

Could be but pretty rare. Most users never configure their page file.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"stevej" <nopam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:kOGdnaliBbj23jDfRVnysw@pipex.net...
> Could it be a fixed fixed page file that is too small ?
>
> Just a thought
>
> Steve
>
> ps sounds to me like you would know if you had a virus ?
>
> "Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> What did you test your RAM with?
>>
>> Is the RAM matched?
>>
>> --
>> ...Carl Frisk
>> Anger is a brief madness.
>> - Horace, 20 B.C.
>> http://www.carlfrisk.com
>>

>> "maverick-tef" <maverick-tef@forums.simradar.com> wrote in message
>>> Thx Katy. Yes, I installed motherboard's drivers after OS. My ram seems
>>> to work fine since all tests have shown no problem. U are not the first
>>> person that mention possible ram problems. What can I do???? U were
>>> very kind. Mav

June 15, 2005 3:54:21 AM

i would try to copy the CAB file in question to your HD and then just try to
open it, If it wont let you copy it, then as Martin said, you could have a
"smudge" on your disc(clean it CAREFULLY) or possibly a scratch right in the
wrong place at the wrong angle.....

good hunting friend....

Paul