External HDrive OR Internal HDrive + Caddy?

TazD

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I would just like to know what everyone's opinion is on portable harddrives. I was thinking of buying a Maxtor One Touch II 300 GB Triple Interface hard drive but I rang up my local PC store and the guy recommended an internal hard drive (I suppose a SATA drive) with a Caddy which only has USB 2.0 connection and is about $140 cheaper.

Is one more reliable than the other? What can handle the knocks and bumps better as to not damage the internal components? Which would you choose? I need to buy one as I am doing a multimedia course. Thanks for your reply!

jumpmaster

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2004
I would getthis
external harddrive because it has 16MB cache, good price and high capacity. The usb 2.0 interface should be more that enough and you will be able to plug the drive into any computer that has usb 1 or higher. You should also buy the drive from an reputable e-tailer because you will save a lot of money over a llocal store.

TazD

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Well, I live in Australia so I'm pretty much limited to brands such as Western Digital, Maxtor, LaCie and Seagate. Plus, the prices of these external hard drives aren't much different when you are comparing both the online prices and store prices.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Ijust ordered a 330GB WD and enclosure for less than $150, saved $40 over buying a 300GB already assembled. Looks like all you have to do is open the case, hook up the HD, and it'll work. Might have to format the drive afterwards.

TazD

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
But is buying an internal drive with a case going to be as reliable as an external hard drive meant for transportation? I know the first option is cheaper, but if I do choose an internal hard drive with the case I dont want it failing on me due to shock or hardware failure.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I hope so. If you go to newegg and check reveiws of enclosures, Penquin (which I got), and a couple other manufactures get very good ratings. I know the limitations of these types of reveiws but I think they're pretty good in terms of whether or not something works, i.e., does what you buy it for. I'll be able to let you know by the end of the week how mine works if your interested.