near miss FL330

The following shot was taken just SSW of Norfolk VA heading 030 on a
trip up to New England from North Carolina. It appears a 777 AI is
streaking towards the flight. I saw it break the visual 10 or 11nm AI
zone and then ATC gave advisory. Just barely replied and this guy blew
past my PORT side at a fantastic clip!! Littl' FO Mocavich {4y/o,
pronounced Mu-cave-itch} saw the incident. It was a big WOW!!

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/near-miss.jpg (102k)

Camera is shifted slightly left of flightpath boresight. Now why would
a triple 7 be heading directly at us form that direction just south of
the Chesapeake Bay?? hmm?

-G
8 answers Last reply
More about near miss fl330

    Gregory wrote:
    > The following shot was taken just SSW of Norfolk VA heading 030 on a
    > trip up to New England from North Carolina. It appears a 777 AI is
    > streaking towards the flight. I saw it break the visual 10 or 11nm AI
    > zone and then ATC gave advisory. Just barely replied and this guy blew
    > past my PORT side at a fantastic clip!! Littl' FO Mocavich {4y/o,
    > pronounced Mu-cave-itch} saw the incident. It was a big WOW!!
    >
    > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/near-miss.jpg (102k)
    >

    > Camera is shifted slightly left of flightpath boresight. Now why would
    > a triple 7 be heading directly at us form that direction just south of
    > the Chesapeake Bay?? hmm?
    >
    > -G

    Just as well it's only a sim...IRL the flight attendants would probably be
    having to do CPR on the flight deck crew after that!

    Tim

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:02:10 GMT, "Tim" <void@invalidemail.com>
    brought the following to our attention:

    >Gregory wrote:
    >> The following shot was taken just SSW of Norfolk VA heading 030 on a
    >> trip up to New England from North Carolina. It appears a 777 AI is
    >> streaking towards the flight. I saw it break the visual 10 or 11nm AI
    >> zone and then ATC gave advisory. Just barely replied and this guy blew
    >> past my PORT side at a fantastic clip!! Littl' FO Mocavich {4y/o,
    >> pronounced Mu-cave-itch} saw the incident. It was a big WOW!!
    >>
    >> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/near-miss.jpg (102k)
    >>

    >> Camera is shifted slightly left of flightpath boresight. Now why would
    >> a triple 7 be heading directly at us form that direction just south of
    >> the Chesapeake Bay?? hmm?
    >>
    >> -G
    >
    >Just as well it's only a sim...IRL the flight attendants would probably be
    >having to do CPR on the flight deck crew after that!
    >
    >Tim

    It was pretty exciting.. me and `Kevich were woopin' and shrieking!!
    Was possibly the closest `miss' that I've even seen all in the years
    of Simming. Would that be anything like an oncoming truck effect on
    a two-lane highway for instance?

    -G

    "Gregory"
    > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/near-miss.jpg (102k)

    Sorta blows the "Big sky theory" all to hell.

    Dallas

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:20:46 GMT, "Dallas"
    <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >"Gregory"
    >> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/near-miss.jpg (102k)
    >
    >Sorta blows the "Big sky theory" all to hell.
    >
    >Dallas

    big sky theory?

    I'm mean we were shrieking all right!! here's a 1:1 scale reduced to
    256-color palette view looking 10 - 11 o'clock out the left seat..

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/miss1-1.gif (37k)

    -Gregory

    TCAS is your friend.

    > "Gregory"
    > > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/flightsim/near-miss.jpg (102k)
    >
    > Sorta blows the "Big sky theory" all to hell.
    >
    > Dallas

    "Gregory"
    > Was possibly the closest `miss' that I've even seen all in the years
    > of Simming.

    I recall simming my little Cessna legally under the class B airspace
    approaches to KDFW. Suddenly a big "whoosh". Looking out the side window I
    could see that a 737 either hit me or just missed me. Then FS9's ATC came
    on and said, "Traffic Alert!".... Thanks.

    Dallas

    "Gregory"
    > here's a 1:1 scale reduced to
    > 256-color palette view looking 10 - 11 o'clock out the left seat..

    We want a spreadsheet with vector calculations of the incident.

    <G>

    Dallas

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:12:08 GMT, "Dallas"
    <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
    attention:

    >"Gregory"
    >> here's a 1:1 scale reduced to
    >> 256-color palette view looking 10 - 11 o'clock out the left seat..
    >
    >We want a spreadsheet with vector calculations of the incident.
    >
    ><G>
    >
    >Dallas

    would you settle for a Pontiac GTO production spreadsheet? ;}

    Year Hardtop Convertible Total

    1964 25,806 6,644 32,450
    1965 64,041 11,311 75,352
    1966 84,148 12,798 96,946