GreenDots

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Didn't find this when searching (although for some reason, I'm sure I saw this same problem here a few days ago).

I've got a KV8 Pro, and I've tried all sorts of memory in it. From crappy cheap-o generic ram, to just as bad A-Data matched memory, and now some Kingston value 2x1Gb sticks, and always the same problem. POST error 52 showing on the onboard led error thingy.

It hangs at the big ABit boot screen before the system POSTs, although its possible to bypass that with tab and get to the bios. If I disable that screen, it gets to the memory test, and only counts half the memory, even when I only insert 1 stick. I can hit escape to bypass the count, and although it shows the correct amount of installed ram, it hangs there and I get the old '52 error again.

I tried dropping the memory speed down from 400 to 333 and lower, but no change. Should I continue returning my ram to the store and changing it, or keep the 2gig of kingston ( its CL3 :( ) and cut my losses and return the motherboard instead?

Alternatively, would it be possible to fiddle with the bios and get this bloody problem fixed?

-Thanks

(oh yeah, its running with a sempron 64 3000+, and I'm assured that although it doesn't get detected properly, it should get far enough for me to flash the motherboard once I get this memory problem fixed)

jajig

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I've got the same board and had the same memory problems. The board has PCB warping issues I solved (mostly) mine by loosening the heatsink cradle slightly and pressing the RAM in very hard, even after it has clicked in place press a bit more. If the board still wont boot up properly remove and reseat the CPU until it does. When it does start working don't bump the heatsink or you'll have to reseat the CPU again. This board is a real pain in the arse I've never had as much trouble with a motherboard before.