no clearance delivery at small airport

In the real world, if there is no clearance delivery at a small airport is
it possible to file a flight plan with a local approach to be picked up
later in flight? or is there no flight service available? Is there a charge
for such services?

More about clearance delivery small airport

    Lynndel Humphreys <lynndel@xtn.net> wrote:

    > In the real world, if there is no clearance delivery at a small airport is
    > it possible to file a flight plan with a local approach to be picked up
    > later in flight?

    In the US, this can be done, but the pilot needs to first ensure that he
    can maintain VFR flight (meaning guarantee his own terrain, obstacle, and
    other aircraft separation, as well as remain clear of clouds and operate in
    proper visibility as per the airspace requirements) right up to the point
    that ATC acknowledges the pilot's radio contact with an IFR clearance.

    Of course, there are many weather scenarios where this won't be possible,
    so the only option is to first receive the IFR clearance on the ground and
    be released for IFR flight.

    To receive an IFR clearance on the ground and at an airport without a
    discreet local clearance frequency, there are three options: 1) A
    clearance frequency that can be reached on the ground that reaches a nearby
    ATC approach or center facility, 2) A remote communication outlet where
    the pilot can contact Flight Service (FSS), or 3) a phone number to contact
    ATC or FSS to receive the IFR clearance.

    Normally, the Airport/Facilities Directory, an official publication of all
    details of US airports, will list the preferred method for reaching an IFR
    clearance.

    > or is there no flight service available?

    Especially with the advent of the cell phone, flight service is available
    to just about every US airport, Alaska excluded perhaps.

    > Is there a charge for such services?

    Not in the US and not at this time.

    --
    Peter

    as far as I know you can pick up an IFR clearance on the ground at a unicom
    airport from approach, thats where the phraseology, clearance void if not
    off by... comes from

    Petebert <castle@nthrax.org> wrote:

    > as far as I know you can pick up an IFR clearance on the ground at a unicom
    > airport from approach,

    Hardly ever. In fact, there are no uncontrolled airports of which I know
    that one can use the unicom frequency to obtain an IFR clearance, at least
    in the US.

    As I indicated in my post, the three options I listed are the methods for
    receiving an IFR clearance at an uncontrolled airport.

    > thats where the phraseology, clearance void if not
    > off by... comes from

    True. Void time is a way for ATC to ensure that either they are expecting
    to see you on radar at some near point or that they are going to receive a
    phone/radio call from you stating that you didn't. If either of these do
    not occur by a certain time, search and rescue operations are initiated.

    --
    Peter

    phraseology,

    I'm lost but I have a cell phone and the facilities book what do I do

    obviously you wouldnt use the unicom frequency, it would be funny to hear
    someone ask for a clearance there though, I ment, your at a unicom airport,
    you call approach on their frequency

    > Petebert <castle@nthrax.org> wrote:
    >
    >> as far as I know you can pick up an IFR clearance on the ground at a
    >> unicom
    >> airport from approach,
    >
    > Hardly ever. In fact, there are no uncontrolled airports of which I know
    > that one can use the unicom frequency to obtain an IFR clearance, at least
    > in the US.
    >
    > As I indicated in my post, the three options I listed are the methods for
    > receiving an IFR clearance at an uncontrolled airport.
    >
    >> thats where the phraseology, clearance void if not
    >> off by... comes from
    >
    > True. Void time is a way for ATC to ensure that either they are expecting
    > to see you on radar at some near point or that they are going to receive a
    > phone/radio call from you stating that you didn't. If either of these do
    > not occur by a certain time, search and rescue operations are initiated.
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----

    Lynndel Humphreys <lynndel@xtn.net> wrote:

    > I'm lost but I have a cell phone and the facilities book what do I do

    Are you on the ground at an airport in the US? I cannot imagine any
    scenario where you would be lost when on the ground at an airport and still
    be interested in activating your IFR clearance. Seems to me like you
    would have much bigger problems.

    --
    Peter

    Petebert <castle@nthrax.org> wrote:

    > obviously you wouldnt use the unicom frequency, it would be funny to hear
    > someone ask for a clearance there though, I ment, your at a unicom airport,
    > you call approach on their frequency

    Oh, OK.

    --
    Peter

    Hi,

    They are talking about REAL LIFE, not in the sim. In the sim you take
    off from the airport, and then file your IFR flight plan.

    Hope this helps,

    Lynndel Humphreys wrote:
    > phraseology,
    >

    > I'm lost but I have a cell phone and the facilities book what do I do

    Tom Gibson

    Cal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

    Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco

    Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com

    Tom wrote:

    > They are talking about REAL LIFE, not in the sim. In the sim you take
    > off from the airport, and then file your IFR flight plan.

    The OP was also asking about real life. See the opening sentence of
    the original post.

    --
    Peter

    Barney wrote:

    > Actually I think the phrase you are groping for is "Remote Communications
    > Outlet" or RCO.

    Who is groping? Used that phrase myself in a previous post in this
    thread. :)

    --
    Peter

    Actually I think the phrase you are groping for is "Remote Communications
    Outlet" or RCO. This is a fairly standard way of contacting approach whilst
    on the ground, (apart from the phone)...

    - Barney

    Barney Rubble wrote:

    > Actually I think the phrase you are groping for is "Remote Communications
    > Outlet" or RCO. This is a fairly standard way of contacting approach whilst
    > on the ground, (apart from the phone)...
    >
    > - Barney

    Another funny moment in time. I did my instrument training in a Piper
    Warrior in Newport News VA. Up until this training I had flown only high
    wing airplanes and even with the few hours I flew the Warrior, I hardly
    ever was able to look outside the cockpit. So when I was scheduled for
    my check ride it was at a grass strip south of Norfolk. (VA59)

    So VFR for the first time in a low wing (I immediately preferred low
    wing over high wing, don't know why) So after finding and landing at
    this grass strip (my first grass landing with 30 ft tree lines just off
    both departures) I went in and met my evaluator. He was an old guy, told
    me later that Amelia Earhart wore mens underwear. After the oral I was
    told to file and pick up the clearance after take-off circling over the
    airfield maintaining below 1000 ft AGL altitude until clearance
    received. I was prepared to fly single pilot and it was good that I did.
    This guy wouldn't lift a finger to help. It's easy to use a kneeboard in
    a helicopter and probably in a fixed wing with a stick, but the first
    day when the kneeboard prevented the yoke from coming aft I threw it in
    the back. Anyhow, as I was making an NDB approach into an uncontrolled
    airport I tuned in UNICOM to state my intentions. After making the call
    I realized I had set the Unicom freq in the radio I had approach on. I
    had been sent to several different controllers and as I started
    descending on the approach I tuned in what I thought was the last freq I
    was on. I then took the mike and called, asking if they still received
    me. I was lucky, I remembered the correct freq and they answered that
    the heard me fine. The evaluator, who I believe was sleeping, asked me
    what I was doing. I told him I was just checking approach. That
    statement made no sense but it was the best I could come up with. It was
    good enough, he went back to sleep.

    After landing and debriefing (I passed) I went to take off and was
    taxiing to the runway a C172 was behind me with two girls who were going
    up to do some hood training. Of course I felt great. Any pilot knows the
    feeling after passing an difficult flight eval so in my euphoria I
    wanted to show off a bit for the girls so after clearing I took the
    runway and firewalled it, forgetting everything about short field
    take-offs over obstacles. I rotated a bit early, I had no flaps in, and
    after leaving the earth, I fell right back down again. Hoping the girls
    hadn't seen me, I threw in some flaps and pulled it back off the ground,
    clearing the trees by plenty of room. But a little less proud of myself.

    --

    (Smiling) boB,
    SAG 70

    U.S. Army Aviation (retired)