Should I Overclock?

Robilcorb

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Hey,

I just purchased a Radeon X800GTO IceQ II Turbo 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 video card and it came with an overclocking program. I have a Dell 4700 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 512MB RAM computer.

Based on my system, and the card itself, is it wise to run the overclocking program? I'm not even really sure what an overclocker does except increase GHz on the card or maximize bus speed...something like that. I also know it can cause heating issues. If its safe, I would like to run it; better graphic performance is always a good thing.

Could someone please tell me what an overclocker does and the best way to go about it, if it is safe?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Do some research about what exactly you're doing with your video card before you start trying to overclock it, because you can potentialy damage your card if you're not careful (though it's harder to do now than it was years ago).

As to if you should, it's ultimately up to you. If you feel you need more performance, then go for it. If you're happy with what you got, then there's no need too.

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
Yeah I think you caught the overclockers "itch" :)

One bite and you are never the same :tongue:

Could someone please tell me what an overclocker does and the best way to go about it, if it is safe?

Well it is fun and that is for sure!!!

I would tell you to crank it up till you see sparks!!! BUT.... Everyone with any sense on here would probably tell me to pipe down and shut up 8O

Since you are new :) Bront has given you excellent advice

My suggestion to you, if you ever have a mind to, is to Build you a system :)

Then you can experience the thrill of overclocking your whole system, CPU, RAM and GFX Card :)

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you really want to see a performance difference, get another 512MB of RAM. Just remember that overclocking the video card voids any and all warranties that it has.

So try it in games. If you're satisfied with the performance, leave the card at stock speeds and keep your warranty. If not, overclock it. Just make sure to maintain good airflow around the card.

Oh yeah. I have an x600, and I use ATI Tool to overclock it. You can change the fan speeds and monitor the temperature of the card.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Yeah I think you caught the overclockers "itch" :)

One bite and you are never the same :tongue:

Well it is fun and that is for sure!!!

I would tell you to crank it up till you see sparks!!! BUT.... Everyone with any sense on here would probably tell me to pipe down and shut up 8O

Since you are new :) Bront has given you excellent advice

My suggestion to you, if you ever have a mind to, is to Build you a system :)

Then you can experience the thrill of overclocking your whole system, CPU, RAM and GFX Card :)

I've got the "itch" for good. I'm going to take my old P4 heatsink/fan and put it on my x600, along with some copper VRAM heatsinks, and overclock until it crashes on me. Or until I hear a big bang and all the lights go out :)

denster

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005
I've got the "itch" for good. I'm going to take my old P4 heatsink/fan and put it on my x600, along with some copper VRAM heatsinks, and overclock until it crashes on me. Or until I hear a big bang and all the lights go out

Dude! Then you could get on that post with the portugal guys! :)

Alright, let's not scare the en-oh-oh-bee :)

Dont listen to us new guy, were crazy... uh... hey mr ducky, why are you angry BTW???

RichPLS

Champion
Should Dicky boy shoot an esquire and not report it to local authorities until his henchmen crack some kneecaps and insure everyone agrees with thier version? The answer is of course!