iExpander Case Boosts iPhone Memory, Camera and Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I kinda wish manufacturers would start releasing more bulky phones. What's the point of slimming down the design if people end up wrapping it in a huge case to get features that you skimped out on to make it small anyway?

(Worse yet, I see people walking around with huge iPhone cases that do nothing other than physical protection, just because of how fragile the product is. What the hell? I remember dropping my old phones down a flight of stairs when I tripped and it didn't even get dented. Why can't new electronics be more durable? Apple, you're already charging people $849 for $230 worth of parts, the vast majority of which isn't even attributable the mechanical packaging. Make your damn phones more durable or some shit.)

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
skimped out battery and sd slot got nothing to do with slimming down desgin. but got everything to do with pushing new product. without sd slot the only for you to have bigger storage is pay 4x more then sd cost. same with battery, all battery got recharge limit. once it ran out only thing you could do is pay 100 buck replace the battery or better yet.. upgrade the phone.
i do agree large case for protection make the slimming smart phone pointless.. but no one force you to use it.

alexthager

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I've owned a few flip phones, a Moto Droid, an iPhone 4, and an iPhone 5, yet I've never once purchased a case. I wholeheartedly agree that buying an iPhone with a case is ironic, because one of reasons I like the phone is because iPhone's are quite portable.

So to be clear... I can buy a better phone with modern features for less.... Or I can buy a flawed iPhone for more, then pay extra to slap a thick case on it to make up for its deficiencies?

Um....

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Cool, i own the mediasonic EIX power skin. Has a 1300mAh battery in it as well as an LED light. 90% charrges my iPhone 3G. althought if I charge my iPhone at 10%, i get 100%.

The only downside is, that the iPhone is not in power save mode while the external battery is plugged in, so any usage goes threw battery like crazy until the external battery is depleted. so ideally it would make more sense for the external battery to be at least 1.25x to 2x the capacity of the iPhone internal battery. Also when the iPhone i dead, it uses even more battery power just to charge up to 10%, so that why when using an external battery i never let my battery go below 10% before turning the external battery on. Would be nice if the case came with a power management app, to turn the external battery on/off.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Simple solution, will instead buy a phone that has all the features I want in the first place.
I would NEVER buy a phone where I can not change the battery myself in under 1 minute without any tools.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
apple will allow this to go through? hell i wouldn't post this to kickstarter till you get the app through... seeing as how apple is set to lose out about 200$ on more flash alone, but lets also look at the not needing new cables, thats another what, 30-100$ and than the battery as stated above, by the time that thing dies, the next phone to upgrade to is out, so really why would they EVER certify an app to allow any of this?

i mean the battery they cant do anything about really, but everything else, they can block you from approval.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Simple solution, will instead buy a phone that has all the features I want in the first place.I would NEVER buy a phone where I can not change the battery myself in under 1 minute without any tools.[/citation]

personally, i want a no hassle battery swap, as in i don't risk killing the phone. batterys dont need to be quick swapped, they just need to be swapable.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]EVILNOD[/nom]skimped out battery and sd slot got nothing to do with slimming down desgin. but got everything to do with pushing new product. without sd slot the only for you to have bigger storage is pay 4x more then sd cost. same with battery, all battery got recharge limit. once it ran out only thing you could do is pay 100 buck replace the battery or better yet.. upgrade the phone.i do agree large case for protection make the slimming smart phone pointless.. but no one force you to use it.[/citation]

Even Class 10 SD cards perform nowhere near the speed of the built in storage memory.
Apple wants to have a seamless experience for all users, and someone putting in a Class 4 micro-sd then complaining that loading pictures, storing things, etc takes forever defeats their purpose. This is their justification of course, some people want the option and flexibility of this and know the downsides others don't.

But as you also mentioned, the make huge margins off the larger size.

I have used micro-sd on 2 different Samsungs (S2 [Android] and Wave [Bada]) and there's a very noticeable performance issue, I understand the performance issues of using these most consumers do not and my family always asks why is it slower this is what apple wants to avoid but at the same time maximize their profits, shitty and sneaky but logical too.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Not saying that no one would buy one of these if available, but I would be pretty comfortable predicting that very few people would, as most people with an iphone are probably fine with their iphone as it is, else they probably wouldn't have bought it. And moreover, those who have an iphone are probably not ecstatic about making it bulky and clunky and heavier. Some, sure, but not most. At least, I wouldn't base a new business idea on it.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]I kinda wish manufacturers would start releasing more bulky phones. What's the point of slimming down the design if people end up wrapping it in a huge case to get features that you skimped out on to make it small anyway?(Worse yet, I see people walking around with huge iPhone cases that do nothing other than physical protection, just because of how fragile the product is. What the hell? I remember dropping my old phones down a flight of stairs when I tripped and it didn't even get dented. Why can't new electronics be more durable? Apple, you're already charging people $849 for $230 worth of parts, the vast majority of which isn't even attributable the mechanical packaging. Make your damn phones more durable or some shit.)[/citation]

I dropped my old nokia (black/white screen) off of my friend's second story roof. The phone landed DIRECTLY on concrete and exploded into 4 pieces (face, back, battery, buttons). I ran downstairs to assess the damage...

After reassembling the phone everything worked just fine. The screen was not broken. The only damage was a dent from the impact.

tilemakerman

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
i'm not sure if you guys have gone and looked at kickstarter site for the iexpander but for those of you that said it would be pointless and no one would buy it, well...wrong. they are currently 40k above funding goal and personally i think this is an awesome concept. i love the way the iphone feels and works as i have the 4s and i've owed every apple device that has come out as well as several droids. there is technology in the iphone that most droids can't compare to. having a jailbroken iphone is, in my opinion, better than any droid i've owed or played with. have an external slot for music or photo storage that i don't have to worry about losing if the phone crashes is something that i consider a genius idea.

for those that say a case is dumb and makes the phone bulky; i can count as many iphone users that have a protective case on their device as droid users with the same things. it's about protecting not only an expensive toy but simply taking care of the product. i've had my 4s since the day it was released and it looks brand new. i see people who have a droid or iphone for a week and refuse to buy a case and they have broken screens, scratches, etc...what's an extra 4mm of a phone? with this iexpander, the iphone will still be thinner than my favorite droid phone (HTC Thunderbolt).

Status
Not open for further replies.