MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
If your parents werent paying the electricity bill then you'd care more.

Since quite a few people here don't live at home and kinda, maybe, just maybe, are over 25 and have jobs...hmm...I don't think their parents pay for electric bills.

What does electric bills have to do w/ anything? I think you're trying to talk about CPU Power Consumption but last time I checked, the Power Supply size determines your electric bill :roll:.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Gawd... I just got a flash from the Domino's Pizzah commercial.

Where the dad is talking to the delivery guy.. about electricty, and wat a savings it was for the 555 deal. Said to the 'kids' okay, you can turn on the light... 1 min later, okay lights out.

:roll:

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Gawd... I just got a flash from the Domino's Pizzah commercial.

Where the dad is talking to the dilvery guy.. about electricty, and wat a savings it was for the 555 deal. Said to the 'kids' okay, you can turn on the light... 1 min later, okay lights out.

:roll:

hahaha that's a sweet commercial, hehe. But Domino's Pizza sucks, Geppetto's All The Way! :D

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
If your parents werent paying the electricity bill then you'd care more.

For a desktop, MMM will argue who cares, and to an extent he is right. Except with three systems running in a 10' x 12' office, it can get toasty in there if the door is closed.

For DT it really isn't that big of a deal, for system builders it can be as they need to engineer thermal solutions and that costs them money. For enthusiast and DYI builders, heck if you can't figure out how to cool your system you shouldn't be building it.

But in terms of your electric bill, ehhh maybe 10 or 15 bucks a month, equivalent to 2 or 3 trips to McDonalds, who cares....

For the push into the digital home, it matters a lot... example, Television sets (digital) will come with VIIV technology built in shortly, nobody wants to hear the "buzz" of a fan while watching the next American Idol yoddle it away.

For server, it is a huge deal....it actaully costs thousands and thousands to maintain servers, the lower the power the lower the costs. This is where the electric bill really goes up :)

For mobile, it is crucial for battery life, the mantra there is "how low can you go, how low can you go".

Rambling, I know, but power is really crucial when you account for the big picture....

Try having 1 eMachine in a 14' x 12' room in the middle of Summer...I literally had to LEAVE the room, go into another, and wirelessly Remote Desktop wth my laptop it to use it, I couldn't stand the heat.

Yes, I know of all the corporate concerns and the like, I only argue TDP concerns in Gamer/Power-User Desktop PC's.