How Do I Reinstall XP?

September 4, 2004 11:04:41 PM

My computer is completely hosed. I want to reinstall Windows XP operating
system. How do I do that? I don't have XP on a disk, but I believe there's
a backup copy stored on the HD, isn't there? Any help would be great.

Thanks!
BioBren

More about : reinstall

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 11:04:42 PM

How would we know? You don't tell us what make and model your computer is.
Some of the big manufacturers put XP on what is called a "hidden partition"
on the hard drive. You need the documentation that came with your system.
That will tell you how to restore your system. Failing that, call the maker
of your machine.

"MiamiBaker" <miamibaker@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
> My computer is completely hosed. I want to reinstall Windows XP operating
> system. How do I do that? I don't have XP on a disk, but I believe
there's
> a backup copy stored on the HD, isn't there? Any help would be great.
>
> Thanks!
> BioBren

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 11:04:42 PM

wrote in news:5YWdnSkRMceb16fcRVn-sA@cablespeedmd.com:
> My computer is completely hosed. I want to reinstall Windows XP
> operating system. How do I do that? I don't have XP on a disk, but I
> believe there's a backup copy stored on the HD, isn't there? Any
> help would be great.
>
> Thanks!
> BioBren

"Any help would be great." Yes, it would, like telling *US* what
computer you have that came pre-installed with Windows XP. Then other
users familiar with that computer can tell you how they reinstalled the
operating system. I have never bought a computer with the OS
pre-installed so I've never gotten stuck with a customized (i.e.,
bastardized) version of the OS that was wasting space in a hidden
partition on my hard drive, but from what I've heard from such users
there is a command you run to create CDs to use instead of that hidden
disk partition. So I would suspect the manual for your computer tells
you how to make CDs that can be used to reinstall the OS (which is more
likely that it overwrites the partition with a fixed disk image to
return it to the same state in which you bought it).

September 5, 2004 4:19:00 AM

If you weren't supplied with recovery discs when you purchased your pc from
the retailer then there is every chance that the required files 'are' stored
on a hidden partition on your hard drive. How you access the files depends
upon the make and model of your machine (something you haven't included in
your post) Therefore you need to study your pc manual for more details.
Without further research, I.a., make, model, etc it is difficult to give
specific instructions. You may find that you have an option to reinstall
from the windows XP start menu - again check your manual. Usually when the
files are located on the hard drive you have two install options;
destructive - which means all data will be destroyed and then the operating
system etc will be installed afresh or non - destructive which means,
although the operating system etc will be re installed, your data will
remain untouched. Whichever method you use make sure that you backup all
your important documents/files that you need to keep.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
"MiamiBaker" <miamibaker@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
> My computer is completely hosed. I want to reinstall Windows XP operating
> system. How do I do that? I don't have XP on a disk, but I believe
> there's
> a backup copy stored on the HD, isn't there? Any help would be great.
>
> Thanks!
> BioBren

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 4:19:01 AM

It's a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Celeron 2.0 Ghz cpu. If I remember
right, if you just go into the "add or remove programs" icon on control
panel, you just remove Windows XP, and when the computer restarts, it
reloads the backed up version. I've done it before, but just not confident
that the steps are correct. The manual says nothing about uninstalling or
reinstalling. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Maxwell
"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in message
> If you weren't supplied with recovery discs when you purchased your pc
from
> the retailer then there is every chance that the required files 'are'
stored
> on a hidden partition on your hard drive. How you access the files depends
> upon the make and model of your machine (something you haven't included in
> your post) Therefore you need to study your pc manual for more details.
> Without further research, I.a., make, model, etc it is difficult to give
> specific instructions. You may find that you have an option to reinstall
> from the windows XP start menu - again check your manual. Usually when the
> files are located on the hard drive you have two install options;
> destructive - which means all data will be destroyed and then the
operating
> system etc will be installed afresh or non - destructive which means,
> although the operating system etc will be re installed, your data will
> remain untouched. Whichever method you use make sure that you backup all
> your important documents/files that you need to keep.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
> "MiamiBaker" <miamibaker@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
> > My computer is completely hosed. I want to reinstall Windows XP
operating
> > system. How do I do that? I don't have XP on a disk, but I believe
> > there's
> > a backup copy stored on the HD, isn't there? Any help would be great.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > BioBren

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 11:34:38 AM

My recollection of restoring XP on a Satellite is that you put Toshiba's
XP CD into the CD drive and then re-boot. Follow instructions.

What caused the the need to re-installed? Has that root-cause been
fixed? Is it really "hosed"? Re-install of the OS is a very very drastic
step which isn't normally needed (despite propensity of vendor's help
desks to say to do it).

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

MiamiBaker wrote:
> It's a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Celeron 2.0 Ghz cpu. If I remember
> right, if you just go into the "add or remove programs" icon on control
> panel, you just remove Windows XP, and when the computer restarts, it
> reloads the backed up version. I've done it before, but just not confident
> that the steps are correct. The manual says nothing about uninstalling or
> reinstalling. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Maxwell
> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.nospam> wrote in message
>
>>If you weren't supplied with recovery discs when you purchased your pc
>
> from
>
>>the retailer then there is every chance that the required files 'are'
>
> stored
>
>>on a hidden partition on your hard drive. How you access the files depends
>>upon the make and model of your machine (something you haven't included in
>>your post) Therefore you need to study your pc manual for more details.
>>Without further research, I.a., make, model, etc it is difficult to give
>>specific instructions. You may find that you have an option to reinstall
>>from the windows XP start menu - again check your manual. Usually when the
>>files are located on the hard drive you have two install options;
>>destructive - which means all data will be destroyed and then the
>
> operating
>
>>system etc will be installed afresh or non - destructive which means,
>>although the operating system etc will be re installed, your data will
>>remain untouched. Whichever method you use make sure that you backup all
>>your important documents/files that you need to keep.
>>
>>--
>>John Barnett MVP
>>Associate Expert
>>www.freelanceit.glowinternet.net
>>"MiamiBaker" <miamibaker@cablespeed.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My computer is completely hosed. I want to reinstall Windows XP
>
> operating
>
>>>system. How do I do that? I don't have XP on a disk, but I believe
>>>there's
>>>a backup copy stored on the HD, isn't there? Any help would be great.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>BioBren

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 12:57:47 AM

I've checked the Toshiba site but without knowing the exact model number it
is difficult to obtain user manuals for your laptop. Is it possible for you
to supply me with the details? Make, Model (i.e. Satellite or satellite Pro)
and the Exact model number. One last thing what country do you live in? It
is no good me check Toshiba UK if you live in the US.
I am a little worried about your comments regarding add/remove to delete xp
and then on reboot the system is reinstalled. I would have thought that a
restoration cd would have been necessary, either that or, at the very least,
a floppy disk to start the process off.

--
news:D LmdnWlqgphbFafcRVn-tA@cablespeedmd.com...

!