See and Avoid - conflict resolution

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 13, 2005 8:11:21 AM

While we're talking about this...

Ok, just like boats, in a head-on situation everybody breaks right.

But, what about other situations? example: I'm heading north 360°and I see
traffic heading west 270°at my altitude that is going to cross my path. Who
does what?

Dallas
June 13, 2005 8:11:22 AM

You put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye......or, if
your lucky and driving one of the big ones, a cute female flight attendant's
ass, whichever is handier : )

Hey, you can't expect more from an ol' guy in mourning.

Arthur

> While we're talking about this...
>
> Ok, just like boats, in a head-on situation everybody breaks right.
>
> But, what about other situations? example: I'm heading north 360°and I
> see
> traffic heading west 270°at my altitude that is going to cross my path.
> Who
> does what?
>

> Dallas

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:00:43 PM

Arthur wrote:
> You put your head between your legs and kiss your ass
> goodbye......or, if your lucky and driving one of the big ones, a
> cute female flight attendant's ass, whichever is handier : )
>
> Hey, you can't expect more from an ol' guy in mourning.

Hey alter Junge, warum trauerst Du (...in mourning) oder
wolltest Du sagen '...am frühen Morgen.' (....in the early morning)

Bei Dir kann man nicht wissen, ob Du von Ärschen mehr
verstehst als von Deiner Muttersprache.
Regards, Günter
June 13, 2005 12:51:50 PM

Carl wrote:

> You should be at different altitudes...

This is true at or above 3,000 feet above ground level, but cruising
below 3,000 ft AGL, at least in the US, one can cruise at any altitude
s/he wants (assuming the altitude adheres to the FAR 91.119, minimum
safe altitudes).

--
Peter
Anonymous

Dallas wrote:

> But, what about other situations? example: I'm heading north 360°and I see
> traffic heading west 270°at my altitude that is going to cross my path. Who
> does what?

In the US, FAR 91.113 covers that. Here is the text from that
regulation:

----------------------------------- begin quote

§ 91.113 Right-of-way rules: Except water operations.
(a) Inapplicability. This section does not apply to the operation of an
aircraft on water.

(b) General. When weather conditions permit, regardless of whether an
operation is conducted under instrument flight rules or visual flight
rules, vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an
aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft. When a rule of this
section gives another aircraft the right-of-way, the pilot shall give
way to that aircraft and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it
unless well clear.

(c) In distress. An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all
other air traffic.

(d) Converging. When aircraft of the same category are converging at
approximately the same altitude (except head-on, or nearly so), the
aircraft to the other's right has the right-of-way. If the aircraft are
of different categories-

(1) A balloon has the right-of-way over any other category of aircraft;

(2) A glider has the right-of-way over an airship, powered parachute,
weight-shift-control aircraft, airplane, or rotorcraft.

(3) An airship has the right-of-way over a powered parachute,
weight-shift-control aircraft, airplane, or rotorcraft.

However, an aircraft towing or refueling other aircraft has the
right-of-way over all other engine-driven aircraft.

(e) Approaching head-on. When aircraft are approaching each other
head-on, or nearly so, each pilot of each aircraft shall alter course
to the right.

(f) Overtaking. Each aircraft that is being overtaken has the
right-of-way and each pilot of an overtaking aircraft shall alter
course to the right to pass well clear.

(g) Landing. Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while
landing, have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or
operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of
this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already
landed and is attempting to make way for an aircraft on final approach.
When two or more aircraft are approaching an airport for the purpose of
landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude has the right-of-way, but
it shall not take advantage of this rule to cut in front of another
which is on final approach to land or to overtake that aircraft.

----------------------------------------- end quote

Peter
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 12:57:01 PM

You should be at different altitudes...

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message news:JH7re.3624$jX6.3013@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> While we're talking about this...
>
> Ok, just like boats, in a head-on situation everybody breaks right.
>
> But, what about other situations? example: I'm heading north 3600and I see
> traffic heading west 2700at my altitude that is going to cross my path. Who
> does what?
>

> Dallas

June 13, 2005 12:57:02 PM

Carl Frisk wrote:
> You should be at different altitudes...

You missed the point Carl - Varmit is flying one of them!!

<G>
June 13, 2005 1:55:15 PM

Es scheint, daß wir unsere Köpfe auf der Sprachbarriere angeschlagen haben.
Wenn Sie letzte Pfosten in diesem newsgroup betrachten, sehen Sie ein mit
der Überschrift ' Schatten '. Einer meiner Pfosten innen sprechen dort von
meiner Haustierkatze, die weg überschreitet und wie ich ihn vermisse und
beklage. Ich bin traurig, daß Sie nicht meine Anmerkung verstanden. Ich kann
verstehen, wieviele meiner Anmerkungen in der Übersetzung wegen meiner
Stimmung verloren werden können.
So there.
Arthur
"Günter Mangold" <guenter.mangold@t-online.de> wrote in message
news:D 8j8jk$dg6$01$1@news.t-online.com...
> Arthur wrote:
>> You put your head between your legs and kiss your ass
>> goodbye......or, if your lucky and driving one of the big ones, a
>> cute female flight attendant's ass, whichever is handier : )
>>
>> Hey, you can't expect more from an ol' guy in mourning.
>
> Hey alter Junge, warum trauerst Du (...in mourning) oder
> wolltest Du sagen '...am frühen Morgen.' (....in the early morning)
>
> Bei Dir kann man nicht wissen, ob Du von Ärschen mehr
> verstehst als von Deiner Muttersprache.
> Regards, Günter
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:39:35 PM

"Carl Frisk" <c.frisk@REMOVE.verizon.net> wrote:

>You should be at different altitudes...

That's not always the case.
If ATC had you or the other plane change altitudes, both of you could
be at the same altitude for a short period of time.

-=tom=-
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 3:43:46 AM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 04:11:21 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> While we're talking about this...
>
> Ok, just like boats, in a head-on situation everybody breaks right.

Is that the law or a common understanding between waterrats?

> But, what about other situations? example: I'm heading north 360°and I see
> traffic heading west 270°at my altitude that is going to cross my path. Who
> does what?

That reminds me a little too much about the mid-air collission of the 757
and the Tupolev over Germany a few years ago. <shiver>

Wouldn't it be fun, when flying VFR during clear weather, to decide
something like that by simpley flipping a coin?

"Heads! I'll descend 500 feet."
"I don't believe it was heads...."
"How do you want me to prove it to you?"
"Describe what the head of the coin looks like!"
"What?"
"Describe....aaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!....."

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(It's good to be the king! - Mel Brooks)

"Marcel Kuijper"
> Is that the law or a common understanding between waterrats?

Nope, that's standard maritime right-of-way rules. In fact from Peter's
posted answer the aviation rules are identical... craft on the right have
the right of way... except... less maneuverable craft trump craft on the
right etc.

Of course none of this is important if your name is Capt. Hazelwood.

Dallas
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:43:58 AM

Arthur wrote:
> .....Wenn Sie letzte Pfosten in diesem newsgroup betrachten, sehen
> Sie ein mit der Überschrift ' Schatten '.

Ok, only in conjunction with your Shadow remark one can understand.

> Ich bin traurig, daß Sie nicht meine Anmerkung verstanden.

Do'nt mind.
Günter
June 14, 2005 1:41:06 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:43:46 +0200, Marcel Kuijper
<zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 04:11:21 GMT, Dallas wrote:
>
>> While we're talking about this...
>>
>> Ok, just like boats, in a head-on situation everybody breaks right.
>
>Is that the law or a common understanding between waterrats?

except in Maryland.. where the guy will pass by a-starboard..
likely with excessive speed... and with the automobile as well. :)
Damn that used to burn me up!!

-G
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:19:04 PM

Dallas wrote:
> While we're talking about this...
>
> Ok, just like boats, in a head-on situation everybody breaks right.
>
> But, what about other situations? example: I'm heading north 360°and
> I see traffic heading west 270°at my altitude that is going to cross
> my path. Who does what?
>

> Dallas

To be serious for one second, difficult in this group (nurse! The
screens!)

If I was flying that aircraft heading 360, I would break right immediately
and descend. I may then fail my flight test, but that's what I would do!

--
Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 12:55:51 AM

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:19:04 +0000 (UTC), Quilljar wrote:

> If I was flying that aircraft heading 360, I would break right immediately
> and descend. I may then fail my flight test, but that's what I would do!

The very first time I took my driving exam we were approaching a crosswalk.
I had a green light but stopped because some old lady with a walker was
crossing the road.

I swear I got flunked!!
I fought that decision for weeks, but I still remained flunked!

During the second exam some peckerhead in an tractor/trailer left the
freeway without signaling just as I was about to get on the freeway. I took
my foot off the gas to give him a little more room, since he was already
forcing himself in front of me.....I got flunked again!

I was very fortunate that I passed the third time.....otherwise I would
have probably turned the old Renault 19 into a Demolition Derby car!

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Chance favours the prepared mind.)

"Marcel Kuijper"
> I got flunked again!

How do you expect to get a license to fly an airplane if you can't even pass
the automobile test... :-P

Dallas
June 16, 2005 12:47:30 PM

Dallas wrote:
> "Marcel Kuijper"
>
>>I got flunked again!
>

> How do you expect to get a license to fly an airplane if you can't even pass
> the automobile test... :-P
>

> Dallas

As a German, Gabriella, and all other Germans, had to go through a
difficult and expensive driving course before she was allowed to get her
drivers license there. She had to take the written and driving
evaluation here in Texas when she became a resident. Her driving test
was driving around a city block down by the DMV. She couldn't believe
it. :)  I know Alabama is even easier. I believe they will let your
Grandpa take the test for you there.

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
June 16, 2005 12:47:31 PM

boB wrote:
> As a German, Gabriella, and all other Germans, had to go through a
> difficult and expensive driving course before she was allowed to get
> her drivers license there.

After driving the autobahn I can see why! Never saw so many Mercedes stars
up close & personal in my rear view mirror!!!
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:21:10 AM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:28:47 -0500, CRaSH wrote:

> boB wrote:
>> As a German, Gabriella, and all other Germans, had to go through a
>> difficult and expensive driving course before she was allowed to get
>> her drivers license there.
>
> After driving the autobahn I can see why! Never saw so many Mercedes stars
> up close & personal in my rear view mirror!!!

That's because they usually have a Raging Bull or Prancing Stallion in
their rear view mirrors!
Well....that's what happenend to me anyway. :-)

1995: I topped out my customized ex-ralley '77 Opel Manta B at 155 mph with
a Merc breathing down my neck. (I didn't even realize at the time that I
had lost my rear crankshaftseal! <g>)
I move to the outside lane, the Merc zips by and pulls up in front of me.
That's when the yellow Lamborghini Diablo flew by!

Guess what? Italian plates! Odd, huh?

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(It's good to be the king! - Mel Brooks)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:21:44 AM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 05:30:33 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> How do you expect to get a license to fly an airplane if you can't even pass
> the automobile test... :-P

Maybe I should stick to kitesurfing....

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(Any landing you walk away from wasn't one of Melissa's! <g>)

CRaSH wrote:

> boB wrote:
>
>>As a German, Gabriella, and all other Germans, had to go through a
>>difficult and expensive driving course before she was allowed to get
>>her drivers license there.
>

> After driving the autobahn I can see why! Never saw so many Mercedes stars
> up close & personal in my rear view mirror!!!

I had a 300ZX Turbo there and remember one Sunday morning with no
traffic on the way to Bonn when a big ol' BMW came up behind me. Just
for the heck of it I went to the floorboard. I found out the 300ZX has a
governor which cuts the engine down to idle at 147MPH and to get it back
I had to back off on the accelerator a second. The RPM was no where
near red line but I had to nurse it, staying right at 146MPH as I
watched the BMW not quite catching up with me.

--

(Smiling) boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)