WindowXPP SP2 Wireless issues

Hi -

I purchased a new laptop computer with built in wireless B/G and have had
problems from the get go. The manufacture Acer model Aspire 2012WMLi uses a
mini PCI Intel wireless card. I setup my router to mixed mode since my wife
uses a PowerBook at 11Mbs. I'm aware of the issues with XP losing the
wireless connection and Centrino based laptops. The manufacture advised that
this issue would be addressed with SP2 release. In the meantime I change my
router to B mode only with great results. While in the B mode my XPP machine
maintained a solid continuous 11Mbs connection. One of the issues while
running in mixed mode was that the connection speed would vary greatly from
54Mbs down to 1Mbs for no apparent reason. Of course the connection would
drop and XPP would announce that there were multiple connections (neighbors)
available however I would have a terrible time reconnecting. As mentioned
when I changed the router to B (11Mbs) mode everything stablized and locked
my connection at 11Mbs with a through-put to my cable connection at 3Mbs.
Pardon my long winded background however today Microsoft pushed SP2 to my
machine, I had been waiting hopefully with the SP2 install my problem would
be fixed as promised by my manufacture.

After I installed SP2, the first thing I did was turn off the new firewall
and started to evaluate the new wireless client included with SP2. What I
found was with this new client even with my router in B mode only I started
to have exactly the same problems I experienced with mixed mode B and G on my
router. You can image how frustrating this was to me. I experimented with
several setting in the client and found that if I forced my machine to work
only in the B mode my connection once again became reliable at a solid 11Mbs.
My question is this. Is my problem a hardware problem or a software
problem? My first thought was software however I'm starting to think think
hardware.

Thank you in advance for your cousel.

My best,

Larry

connectionwizard

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
The first thing I would do is Google your brand of laptop with wireless issues after it and hit search. You might find that this was a defect in the motherboard or wireless card and there might be a fix for it out there for you. Wireless can be tricky and many things like air ports, military bases, and many electronic devices affect the signal of a wireless router.

What you are talking about sounds like a compatibility problem or a signal issue due to a microwave, baby monitor, cordless phones, and anything else you might have using the 2.4 GHz frequency. This page should help you. http://www.connectionwizard.org/index.php?p=1_22_Wireless-Config-and-Encryption There are many tips and tricks I used as a contractor for the cable company installing internet, wireless, phone and cable. The going from 54mbs to 1mbs is a sign that something is blocking your signal.

Another problem you might have is if the router is not encrypted it can cause you problems. Your neighbors can be using it and draining bandwidth causing you to slow down. There are instructions on doing this on that page as well.

TRENDING THREADS