Your question

Computer Death help!

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2006 6:57:58 AM

I've had my homebuilt computer for a while now and recently it's been playing up - its been overheating a lot and just yesterday it randomly turned itself off. I tried to restart it but now it won't turn on!

I've left it for a while and tried again but to no avail. Then I tried changing the memory around in all combinations, and this didnt help either. I imagine it must be a CPU / PSU problme but how can i find out which?

When I try and boot it up, the light on my mobo turns on - dont know what this means though. No fan noise or anything... all is silent :cry: 

help me!

thanks guys

xan

More about : computer death

March 24, 2006 7:47:31 AM

Try with power supply.
There is probably one 80mm fan in yor PSU.
If he is not spinning then the PSU is Dead.
I think that is reason of overheating.
Did your pc stink on electronics etc. ?
March 24, 2006 8:29:47 AM

[I've had my homebuilt computer for a while now and recently it's been playing up - its been overheating a lot and just yesterday it randomly turned itself off. I tried to restart it but now it won't turn on!

I've left it for a while and tried again but to no avail. Then I tried changing the memory around in all combinations, and this didnt help either. I imagine it must be a CPU / PSU problme but how can i find out which?

When I try and boot it up, the light on my mobo turns on - dont know what this means though. No fan noise or anything... all is silent

help me!

thanks guys

xan]

What exactly was overheating? Was it a reported temp or hot to the touch?
My first thought is cpu, but most m/b's give an audible warning when you attempt start up. But the system speaker needs to be plugged in to the correct header for that :D  I faintly remember a review of a m/b that used coloured leds to report problems like that. So what m/b is it?
In fact what cpu,what heatsink, what brand power supply?
Another thing to consider is the motherboard. I've had more dead m/b's than anything else. Killed by noname psu's & reckless overclocking :twisted:
March 24, 2006 9:18:02 AM

it seems to me if it doesn't even get to post that the psu is dead. If you got 1 lying around try it if your pc boots with other psu well time to buy new 1

If it were your cpu it would get to post and give errors.or beep alot right when you turn it on.

Try that and if everything else fails take a sledge hammer to the pos thing. It will be fixed after that :twisted:
March 24, 2006 9:45:48 AM

I'd have to agree with everyone else. The pc I scabbed together for my wife had the same problem. The PSU was overheating. I replaced the 80mm fan and that helped for a while. Finally had to ditch it. If you want to be totally certain, try testing it out with a volt ohm meter, or a dedicated PSU tester (like $15 on xoxide,frozencpu,etc)
Good luck
March 24, 2006 9:55:08 AM

Post your system specs, as it helps isolate possible causes.

Then from those possible causes move towards the 3-5 most likely, as sometimes 1 problem can be caused by multiple things 'breaking' at once. Hopefully it is only 1 component dying with 1 side effect.

Likely replacing your PSU with a decent Antec TruePower 2.0 series model would help, then replace any 'dying' components (eg: mainboard).

PS: Consider getting cheap surge-cubes for some protection (and replace them every 12 months).
March 24, 2006 10:35:55 AM

Ok well im glad that its probably the PSU... a CPU would be expensive.

Specs:

AMD 64 3000+
Gigabyte GA-K8NS nforce 3 mobo
450W PSU (this is just the one that came with the case so it's likely to be not top quality)
[2gb Crucial RAM
radeon 9800 pro]

Well, i figured it was overheating as when i opened the case and ran it with the side off it was fine :p 

The light on the mobo is just one that normally signifies the pc is on.

Yes the system speaker is plugged into the right place too :p 

I don't actually have another PC to try a different PSU or CPU, but i'll borrow a friend's when he's back from holidayand have a go.

thanks for all the help :) 

xan
March 24, 2006 12:47:23 PM

Quote:
Ok well im glad that its probably the PSU... a CPU would be expensive.

Specs:

AMD 64 3000+
Gigabyte GA-K8NS nforce 3 mobo
450W PSU (this is just the one that came with the case so it's likely to be not top quality)
[2gb Crucial RAM
radeon 9800 pro]

Well, i figured it was overheating as when i opened the case and ran it with the side off it was fine :p 

The light on the mobo is just one that normally signifies the pc is on.

Yes the system speaker is plugged into the right place too :p 

I don't actually have another PC to try a different PSU or CPU, but i'll borrow a friend's when he's back from holidayand have a go.

thanks for all the help :) 

xan

Your PSU is highly suspect.

It might also be the motherboard though or both.
!