Computer Death help!

I've had my homebuilt computer for a while now and recently it's been playing up - its been overheating a lot and just yesterday it randomly turned itself off. I tried to restart it but now it won't turn on!

I've left it for a while and tried again but to no avail. Then I tried changing the memory around in all combinations, and this didnt help either. I imagine it must be a CPU / PSU problme but how can i find out which?

When I try and boot it up, the light on my mobo turns on - dont know what this means though. No fan noise or anything... all is silent :cry:

help me!

thanks guys

xan
7 answers Last reply
More about computer death help
  1. Try with power supply.
    There is probably one 80mm fan in yor PSU.
    If he is not spinning then the PSU is Dead.
    I think that is reason of overheating.
    Did your pc stink on electronics etc. ?
  2. [I've had my homebuilt computer for a while now and recently it's been playing up - its been overheating a lot and just yesterday it randomly turned itself off. I tried to restart it but now it won't turn on!

I've left it for a while and tried again but to no avail. Then I tried changing the memory around in all combinations, and this didnt help either. I imagine it must be a CPU / PSU problme but how can i find out which?

When I try and boot it up, the light on my mobo turns on - dont know what this means though. No fan noise or anything... all is silent

help me!

thanks guys

xan]

What exactly was overheating? Was it a reported temp or hot to the touch?
    My first thought is cpu, but most m/b's give an audible warning when you attempt start up. But the system speaker needs to be plugged in to the correct header for that :D I faintly remember a review of a m/b that used coloured leds to report problems like that. So what m/b is it?
    In fact what cpu,what heatsink, what brand power supply?
    Another thing to consider is the motherboard. I've had more dead m/b's than anything else. Killed by noname psu's & reckless overclocking :twisted:
  3. it seems to me if it doesn't even get to post that the psu is dead. If you got 1 lying around try it if your pc boots with other psu well time to buy new 1

If it were your cpu it would get to post and give errors.or beep alot right when you turn it on.

Try that and if everything else fails take a sledge hammer to the pos thing. It will be fixed after that :twisted:
  4. I'd have to agree with everyone else. The pc I scabbed together for my wife had the same problem. The PSU was overheating. I replaced the 80mm fan and that helped for a while. Finally had to ditch it. If you want to be totally certain, try testing it out with a volt ohm meter, or a dedicated PSU tester (like $15 on xoxide,frozencpu,etc)
    Good luck
  5. Post your system specs, as it helps isolate possible causes.

Then from those possible causes move towards the 3-5 most likely, as sometimes 1 problem can be caused by multiple things 'breaking' at once. Hopefully it is only 1 component dying with 1 side effect.

Likely replacing your PSU with a decent Antec TruePower 2.0 series model would help, then replace any 'dying' components (eg: mainboard).

PS: Consider getting cheap surge-cubes for some protection (and replace them every 12 months).
  6. Ok well im glad that its probably the PSU... a CPU would be expensive.

Specs:

AMD 64 3000+
    Gigabyte GA-K8NS nforce 3 mobo
    450W PSU (this is just the one that came with the case so it's likely to be not top quality)
    [2gb Crucial RAM
    radeon 9800 pro]

Well, i figured it was overheating as when i opened the case and ran it with the side off it was fine :P

The light on the mobo is just one that normally signifies the pc is on.

Yes the system speaker is plugged into the right place too :P

I don't actually have another PC to try a different PSU or CPU, but i'll borrow a friend's when he's back from holidayand have a go.

thanks for all the help :)

xan
  7. Quote:
    Ok well im glad that its probably the PSU... a CPU would be expensive.

Specs:

AMD 64 3000+
    Gigabyte GA-K8NS nforce 3 mobo
    450W PSU (this is just the one that came with the case so it's likely to be not top quality)
    [2gb Crucial RAM
    radeon 9800 pro]

Well, i figured it was overheating as when i opened the case and ran it with the side off it was fine :P

The light on the mobo is just one that normally signifies the pc is on.

Yes the system speaker is plugged into the right place too :P

I don't actually have another PC to try a different PSU or CPU, but i'll borrow a friend's when he's back from holidayand have a go.

thanks for all the help :)

xan

Your PSU is highly suspect.

It might also be the motherboard though or both.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems