x1900 series quick question

mikey_b

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I have the mobo (A8R32 Deluxe) for a dual card crossfire setup, however for now, I'm only going to get one card.

If I'm only going to run one card for now, will either the XTX OR the Crossfire Edition work as a stand alone? Or do I have to get the edition card?

I just don't want to get stuck having to buy the second card because I bought the wrong one.

Mike

dwclou

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
The XTX runs at higher clockspeeds than the crossfire master card, so you should get the XTX first. Don't get the XT, if you are gonna spend that much on a card, you may as well throw in a few extra bucks for the XTX.

nannerla

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
The XTX runs at higher clockspeeds than the crossfire master card, so you should get the XTX first. Don't get the XT, if you are gonna spend that much on a card, you may as well throw in a few extra bucks for the XTX.
Actually an xt would be so easy to bump up to xtx speeds that buying an xtx would be a waste.

RichPLS

Champion
I have not heard of ANY X1900XT or X1800XT cards not easily being able to clock up to 690MHz core and 1600MHz memory using the driver overclocking utility included with card.
That is in excess of the XTX speeds for both series.

dwclou

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times:

You can also overclock the XTX. Because the XTX has higher clock settings than the XT by default, the XTX will be more stable at higher speeds than the XT. Therefore, the XTX will always be faster than the XT.

It's amazing how many people don't realize this simple fact.

RichPLS

Champion
Also, using ATI's driver within CCC to overclock, the top end for both is 690MHz/1600MHz... further means using a 3rd party utility to overclock higher... and there are no guarantees or warranties going there...

dwclou

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
But you do understand that it is a fact that the XTX is faster right?

Seriously though, overclocking an XTX is pointless. I have one, stock settings, and I run TES: Oblivion at 1680x1050 with everything maxed (HDR not AA). I get awesome framerates. I don't overclock just for the sake of doing it. As it stands there is nothing out that even justifies overclocking my card.

ivoryjohn

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2001
An XTX is just a hand picked XT. It is faster out of the box. There will always be some XT's that don't measure up. It is NOT necessarily faster than an XT. There will always be some XT's that weren't tested for XTX but could have passed as XTX. An XTX only improves your chances of having the ultimate clock speed.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
I plan to get an X1900 card in the next month or two (unless ATI releases a better card). If the difference between the XT and the XTX is only $30-40 (as it is on newegg atm), then I'll get the XTX. Otherwise the XT. If I'm spending $450 for an XT, might as well spend an extra $40 and get the XTX.

naktau

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
Hey, it's all about the money man. For single card and if you got loads of cash, splash it on the xtx. But if you go for crossfire mode then be aware that the XTX will clock down to XT level.

sejanus69

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
So guys just to clear it up, as I'm similar to the orig poster.

I have a gecube 1900xtx.

Later on, when I go dual - do I just get a crossfire edition XT? And it acts as the master?

nannerla

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
i'm pretty sure the chips, boards and coolers on the xt and xtx are the same the only diffrence is that ati just changed the clocks on them. both will perform the same if you run up the clock speeds. it would be the same as Intel making a 3 ghz chip and a 3.2ghz chip that are the same chip with diffrent clocks the 3ghz would overclock stabally to the same speed as the 3.2 would oc to but of course the 3.2 would cost more. which would you buy?If your at all competent with overclocking then you could push the chip to 3.2.