MOBO soundcard went bye bye

legato

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Well I new it was bound to happen sooner or later to me. For the first time in builting pcs for year, I have officially had my first intergated device fail(die) on me. On my new intel 945psn the intergrated sound die as well as my favorite pair of headphones that was plugged into it :evil: .
when listening to some music I noticed my headphones started to get really hot and then I got no sound. Upon trying my normal speakers all I could heard was a whisper. I called intel but like I expected they was no help. They kept on insisting the problem was a driver issue and didnt want to RMA the mobo. After talking to someone higher on the customer service food chain they said they would RMA it but I would be without a mobo for 8 to 12 weeks, which means I would be without a computer for 2 to 3 months. I wound up installing an el cheap compusa 5.1 soundcard I had laying around the my speakers still work but my headphones are fried. I was curious is this a sign of things to come cause I am looking into a new motherboard for my Pentium D820.

sturm

Splendid
Sounds like your headphones is what killed your audio. If they were getting hot then I would think something was shorting out or causing to much resistance on the wires. If the resistance gets to high then the amp on the onboard sound has to work harder which could burn out the onboard.

I am not a fortune teller so cant help ya with the future.

Just a fluke.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
If the warranty is still good then RMA it. I could care less if its a driver problem, but If you can't repair it by installing new driver then RMA the mobo before it's too late. :)

legato

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
chuck i would rma the motherboard but i need a computer for work reasons( I cant be without my computer for 2-3 months), so until I can get a motherboard to keep my machine running. I'll just have to run with the soundcard I got for now.
Its not driver related that was this first thing I tried.

I think sturm might be right.

Thanks for the response.

Now should I get an audigy se, audigy 4, or just pony up to the fatality from creative.

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
I dont think it is a sign of things to come. If anything onboard stuff will get better. but I really like sound. I am an audiophile, so I say you should get a soundblaster x fi, but audigys are awsome too. and chaep now I think.

TRENDING THREADS