Boiling Point: Road to Hell

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
  • Product
Last response: in PC Gaming
May 23, 2005 9:10:00 AM

Hi there

Anyone got Boiling Point: Road to Hell yet?

I bought it on release last Friday and it's a pretty neat game. Let's share some experiences here (if there's anyone else playing it that is).

It's a pretty good game, nice graphics but not spectacular (source looks much better) but very interesting FPS/RPG mixed type of gameplay. What it lacks in speed, is balanced by the south american atmosphere it oozes and the amount of freedom you have. On the other hand AI is very limited and the quests are scripted events (but how could that be otherwise?). If you want to take a shot at this, prepare to spend a lot of time because the game world is huge ( 625 sq km, or about 250 sq miles if I did the math correctly), there are no (explicit) loading times in game, in game day/night cycle and weather effects.

I'd like to discuss some strategies and quests but first let's see if there's anyone else out there who's playing it at the moment.

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>

More about : boiling point road hell

May 23, 2005 9:46:23 AM

Is it worth getting? I played a demo of this and was overwhelmed by it's underwhelming game play.

Basically it lasted a whole ten minutes on my hard drive altho I have been reading up about it and it has a VERY interesting premise. Just the implentation and as you said yourself the AI is supposedly dire.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"
May 23, 2005 10:17:41 AM

Well, it is interesting me enough to accept the slow gameplay, which in my case, is quite a statement. Additionally I've it played it for about 10 hrs now and i've barely scratched the surface of the content so if it is interesting enough to keep you playing, there's lots of it to enjoy. The missions themselves are not that revolutionary (to make an understatement) but a very interesting part of the gameplay is how the order and the outcome of your missions influence the attitude of the different factions in the game which have then again their impact on future missions and also on how you can move around in the game world. Combined with decent graphics (nothing extraordinary) and a fully implemented day/night cycle and weather effects(which I do find extraordinary, tropical showers are really tropical and the lighting is adjusted accordingly, so it really gets quite dark during a shower), I'm thoroughly enjoying myself at the moment. In combination with some online FPS (which boiling point does not have!) to get my action shot of the day, this is going to last me awhile (is my current estimate).

If money is a concern, if this game is not picking up in lets say 2 months I'm pretty sure it will end up in the bargain bin real quick but it will also be hard to come by is my guess. If a game can interest me for longer than say 15 hours then usually its worth its full price (to me).

BigMac

<A HREF="http://www.p3int.com/product_center_NWO_The_Story.asp" target="_new">New World Order</A>
Related resources
May 26, 2005 1:11:37 PM

Well, they're selling at amazon. So I guess it's available elsewhere in the US...

Really noone coming here playing it? I can definitely recommend it if you're into some combined FPS and RPG action. It's definitely not for Quake/UT only fans.

BigMac

May 26, 2005 5:19:54 PM

I've heard different in another forum I use.

It's been advised to stay away from it for the time being at least cos it's a complete mess of bugs. Allegedly. Not that I care cos I should have Chronicles of Riddick in the post today and shall be spending my time on that.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"
May 26, 2005 10:28:10 PM

Well, you have it from hearsay on a forum and I'm playing it right now, and I can tell you it is not a mess. It's playing fine. What else are they telling you on that forum?

BigMac

May 30, 2005 6:49:59 PM

Practically talking to myself in this topic but anyways, there's a patch out that fixes quite a number of bugs (but leaves plenty to desire for the next patch :tongue: )

BigMac

May 31, 2005 2:15:02 PM

Can you direct me to a link to the demo for this game please cause i can't find it. I sure would like to try it out.
I wish game makers would make demos of game before they released the games but they know that they would go bankrupt if they did that cause most of thier games are for [-peep-].
How many people have bought games and tried them for 2 minutes and wished they never bought them cause they were [-peep-] but only bought them cause the box was a good seller.
and now only makes a good paper wieght.

Confuscious say: He who go to bed with itchy ass, wake up with stinkyfinger