TFT5030 Opinion & Questions

G

Before I begin, these are preliminary opinions, and I hope to add to them as I do more tests.

I'm using a Gainward GeForce2 Ti\500 XP w/ analog output, so my picture quality won't be as nice until I get a card with DVI.

I like almost everything about this monitor, even with analog. Picture, brightness, angle of view, analog and DVI support. Not to mention it looks really really great.

BIG PROBLEM: <font color=red>I simply cannot play first person shooters with this screen yet. </font color=red>I've tried Firearms and Quake3; both were like playing in a dream due to ghosting. I'm very sad at this fact, for I've heard such great things about this model and the TFT7020. Perhaps the TFT7020 is really a lot better, and I made the mistake of assuming they would both perform on the same level.

So, here are my questions: Will I experience better luck with DVI? and: Could I have possibly set up something wrong with driver and settings that would cause more ghosting?

I am grasping at straws, I know, but I do really like this monitor, and I'd hate to have to return it. Any input is well appreciated, thanks.

-Daphnie

profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
sorry for not beaing able to help, but i would liek to know the same, if the ghost will disapear when you use a dvi output

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
How odd. I assume it would, since that monitor really wasn't meant to be used w/ analog interface (the pic sucks). Maybe it will go away- exactly what temperature was the room- it may be sensitive to temp actually.

Only if you let me see the Umpa Lumpa- Homer Simpson.

G

Hello again,

I haven't been able to check out DVI support because my roommates computer (Dell) doesn't work quite right (surprise surprise). Anyhow, I coudn't get the DVI to work even after installing the detonator 2311 drivers. I've wanted to by a new video card anyhow, so I may just get a geforce3 after the 4's come out, then I can test myself.

Anyhow, the crappy thermometer on our dorm room wall says it's 70 degrees F, which gives a rough indication of a normal operating temp. Also, it's had pleanty of time to warm up, with no real improvement.

I'm considering returning it for the TFT7020, because it's only about a 100 dollar price difference. (and, unexpectedly, I was able to sell my currently unused, cheap PCI video card and 15" monitor for 90 bucks, which almost makes up the difference.)

Does anyone know if it's 15 or 30 days that Compaq allows for returns, and how about restocking fees? Thanks.

-Daphnie

G

DVI will NOT help with the ghosting issue.
Ghosting is a known issue with ALL LCD's.

The 15inch LCD might have a higher responce time so maybee try the 17inch one.

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
DVI made no difference in the 25ms panel I tried, except to make the picture a little more clear. Let's face it, not everyone is going to be satisfied with the LCD's performance, even at 20 or 25ms. I wasn't. If the 7020 has less ghosting, then these response time specs aren't as accurate as we think. If you are an elite fps gamer who relies on quick movements and pinpoint accuracy at the same time, you may be disappointed.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I have a TFT7020, and quite honsetly, it's excellent in games. I am a "pro" in HL (cna beat it in a few hours on difficult setting), and am mad good in RTCW. Thus, I do move quickly, but the TFT7020 responds fast enough to make the pic look nice. Also, the Planar monitors seem to experience the same thing...which further leads me to believe ASV may be MVA in a different form...they r just too similar!

G

flame: what kind of system specs. you have with that LCD?

Planar is a nice one too but I read conflicting reports most say it's great and some say it has a lot of ghsoting in FPS especially people with very high end systems.

I guess with a very high FPS count the responce times can't keep up.

Is the LCD really better on the eyes for reading? E.ven though my CRT has an adequate 85Hz refresh rate.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I can notice even 100Hz refresh, so LCD is for me. Overall people tend to agree that LCD is easier on the eyes...somehwere in the flat panel setion a member posted how his eyes felt a lot better after using LCD and that certain headaches and whatever were gone (he used it for prolonged hours). I do believe my sys is high end- T-Bird 1.2 GHz, 512DDR, Quadro DCC (real one), SB Live Platinum, XP professional. There is no ghosting in games. At max res, LCD should be run at 60Hz, and maybe people are pushing it to 75Hz or something.

frankjp

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
Besides Flame, you should also look at the review that Computerboy put up earlier this week. He raved about the 7020 on FPS games and his system is pretty nice, XP1900+, 512MB Ram, Gainward GF3 Ti500 card, etc. I would think that's as pretty fast as you can find...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Welll...u can always have a Cray but...:) The TFT7020 I believe has proven itself to be a solid monitor, that could very easily replace a CRT. It is sad that Planar's monitors experience ghosting, as well as the TFT5030, which begs the question if MVA and ASV are as good as they say. Regrettably, I am going to have to be skeptical about MVA again, b/c as u can see, from THG's review and from the Planars, they don't perform as well.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Flame

If the manufacturer didn't mean for the monitor to be used with analog why would they put an analog interface on the unit? You are so biased that you do not understand the issues.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com

G

We are comparing apples with oranges here.

The people with the Planar MVA units have a fast system and a very fast video card. Like Geforce 3 and so on. So obviuosly they see ghosting because the fps rate is just to high for the LCD to handle.

Flamethrower. Your system is fast but the video card is no where the speed of geforce 3. This could be the reason why everything is running great. However when you upgrade the video card to Geforce 3 or 4 down the road the ghostinf issue would probably come up with the Compaq 17inch LCD too.

SDLeMire

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2002
I believe the higher the framerate the more ghosting there will be. I experienced this first hand with Half Life and Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the Planar PV174. HL was at a higher frame rate and the ghosting was very noticeable. RtCW didn't have as much ghosting visibly and that was likely because the framerate was between 30-60 since I had everything jacked up. Furthermore, when I turned v-sync on for openGL, the framerate in HL got capped at 60, and there was a little less ghosting from what I noticed. These were run in native resolution. For HL, I had to use 1280x960 but it worked in native with gaps at the top and bottom.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
NVGTS, do u know what a Quadro DCC is? It is a GF3 except the pro version, and a lot more powerful. In OGL, it will probably destroy a GF4. Gosharks, I have seen cases where using DVI has in fact lessened the ghosting. Why r u getting so pissy b/c I don't like MVA? As u can see the MVA monitor didn't perform well in THG, and the planar seems to have ghosting as well.

G

I run a Radeon 8500, Athlon 1400MHz @ 1600MHz, 512MB DDR RAM. Half-Life is capped at 100fps, and stays pegged. No ghosting. I have Quake 3 capped at 125fps, no ghosting. V-sync is off for both OGL & D3D, and the fps counters in both games report the above numbers.

I honestly cannot get this monitor to ghost in games, significantly or not. The only gripe I have is that many older games don't support 1280x1024, but that's the no 7020's fault. :p

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Like I have told you before, there are many factors that can create ghosting and other artifacts. You try to isolate and focus on pointing fingers at one item without taking into account the other possibilities.

You do not seem to be able to get past the "What I purchased must be the best for everyone syndrome".

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I don't suffer from that syndrome. I was recommending the TFT7020 for some time before I bought one, so don't accuse me of that. What, do u want me to start reccomending your company? The TFT7020 has proven itself to be a good monitor, and once I have found something good, I stick with it, until something better, that truly is better coems along. Simply for the TFT5030 I have seen reviews from Cnet and whatnot saying that its digital picture is much better than its analog.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
No thank you, I wouldn’t want you to recommend any of my products unless you have seen and used them which I know you have not. Also I doubt that you could be objective enough to put your bias aside. This is why we have professional equipment reviewers. I would take their word over an anonymous post by a 14 year old in a chat room.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, what exactly do u consider to be my bias? I happen to like the TFT7020 because of the way it performs. I was merely offering a possible resolution to the ghostin issue with the TFT5030. If that didn't work, then I wouldn't reccomnd it, as I don't reccomend the TFt8030 b/c the low contrast. What does my age have to do with anything? I have had years of experience with computers and monitors, so that would make me just as good as say a 30 year old. I think it is you who has teh bias.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Comment like “Analog sucks” and “ and “since that monitor really wasn't meant to be used w/ analog interface (the pic sucks). You consider helpful when in fact they may not have anything to do with the problem? This along with the fact that you cannot spell shows your age.

Am I biased, Yes this is why I sign all my posts with my real name.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Analog pic certainly doesn't look as good on the TFT5030 as digital. That is something which has ben agreed on, thus I state it for those who do not know. Sometimes doing weird things will help with the problem, and that isn't that farfetched. As for my spelling, I type very fast, and do not spellcheck my posts. Sorry if you post your posts in word or whatever and run spellcheck. It's just the way I type. One thing- I really would not give my name on the internet, mainly for security issues.

G

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Render_effects on 02/06/02 00:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>