Finally got my new card...

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
So after the help of all of you I finally got my new X800GTO AGP 256MB graphics card.

(I was disapointed the speakers are ordered not only sucked, but were broken.. thats for another thread.)

So now here is my system:

Sempron 3100+
X800 GTO AGP
1280 MB DDR PC3200 RAM
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
160 gig 7200 RPM
430 PSupply

Install was a breeze, and I used the drivers from the cd no problem. I do believe they were Catylyst 5.8 drivers.

First game I fired up was Counter Strike: Source. My favorite server happened to be in Nuke, which is a HDR lighting map, so after having the system automatically adjusting my settings and turning on full HDR, I hopped in. (The detect auto settings said my framerate was crazy, like 115 fps)

I wasn't all that impressed. The reccomondations for my system was NO aa and Trilinear AF... exactly what I WAS playing. In game it was just as smooth as it was before I got this card, and still had a few choppy moments... that map always did. Someone told me to change it to 2 X AA and 8 X AF, and it was about the same, but I had just a few tears... IN other maps it ran smooth (no HDR I presume), but then again so did the FX5200.

Second I popped in Half Life 2, and here I saw an improvement... not much, but some. The lighting was so much better, but even then I had some choppiness, but only right after the game would "load" into a new scene... again no AA no AF :(

Next I played the FEAR Demo I couldn't play AT ALL on the fx5200! (Ok I could but it was slow on the lowest settings, terrible...) It was... OK, but again a little bit of choppiness, and it was annoying. I am positive that if I adjusted the settings down, I would be able to play it a bit smoother... (not sure yet if this gameis what its all cracked up to be...)

Next I played Zoo Tycoon 2... and I dont know what the hell is wrong with this game, but it just KILLS my system. It was still choppy on all high settings, but I think the game just sucks, and when zooming in and out something is wrong.

That's about all I had to test it on... so after all that, I installed my new speakers, cursed about the one broken one, and played a New game of Half Life 2 for a few hours. It was fun, and smooth without AA and AF, with the exception of right after loading... and that was OK. I could tell a difference, albeit it not a major one, between cards.

So now the next step is deciding what I can do to increase performance. There is no way I can afford any cooling right now, so I DONT think that I should overclock too much... but maybe the newest drivers can help? Or should I try out the TRIXX overclocking software that comes with it? Anything else I can do to help its performance?

Also - anyone else that has ATI, what settings should I have everything in the Catylyst COntrol Center? I always get confused on whether to put it at BEST performance or BEST quality..

Also what are some other computer settings I can use to help performance? (page file, other hardware settings)...

Thanks for the help, in advance...

pauldh

Illustrious
Are you tweaking the games or just going with the auto detect?

A X800GTO should at least be able to handle HL2 at 1024x768 with 4X/16X at max details. Maybe even 12x10 at those settings. FSAA makes a huge difference IMO as to how good HL2 looks, so I'd lower the res and keep FSAA on.

Use fraps to check your fps during playing.
try 12x10 with 4Xfsaa/16XAF max details
drop to 2X fsaa if framerates are too low for you.
Otherwise go to 10x7 with 4X FSAA.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Are you tweaking the games or just going with the auto detect?

A X800GTO should at least be able to handle HL2 at 1024x768 with 4X/16X at max details. Maybe even 12x10 at those settings. FSAA makes a huge difference IMO as to how good HL2 looks, so I'd lower the res and keep FSAA on.

Use fraps to check your fps during playing.
try 12x10 with 4Xfsaa/16XAF max details
drop to 2X fsaa if framerates are too low for you.
Otherwise go to 10x7 with 4X FSAA.

Ok I will try that tonight... I just keep thinking that my 3100+ Sempron is bottlenecking me....

What about some minor overclocking !

pauldh

Illustrious
I don't think you should be too cpu bound in most games. But Another thing to mention is your CPU will effect the max detail levels in games, but it will not effect FSAA and resolution. So if you are cpu limited in a game and have to reduce details some, but you are then not gpu limited at those settings, you can still get a IQ boost by upping the resolution and FSAA. You just have to tweak each game if you are going to find your best playable settings and enjoy the most IQ possible. If you are then up to it, a moderate sempron and X800 OC could help you reach a setting that wasn't quite playable without the OC.

kumana1

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Ok I will try that tonight... I just keep thinking that my 3100+ Sempron is bottlenecking me....

it is. hl2 and css are very cpu intense games. so even though you have a new video card, the game still relies a lot on the processor.

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003

it is. hl2 and css are very cpu intense games. so even though you have a new video card, the game still relies a lot on the processor.

:roll:

HL2 plays fine on a Sempron 3100+, and the CPU in no way affects FSAA anyway....

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I'm curious what mobo you are using and what sticks of memory? 1GB & 256MB or 2*512MB and 256MB?

What about some minor overclocking !
The Sempron 3100 can OC very well if your mobo and ram are up to it.

Here is the motherboard specs, but remember Im not using the onboard Sound or Video...

Form factor Micro-ATX form factor: 9.6 in x 9.6 in
System BIOS Supplier: Award
Processor AMD Athlon: 64 processor with HyperTransport support
Processor socket type: Socket 754
Processor front side bus frequency: 1600 MT/s @ 800 MHz
Maximum approved processor: Athlon64 3700+ or AMD Athlon64 3400+

Chipset "North Bridge" SiS760
Chipset "South Bridge" SiS964
Memory type PC 2700 or PC 3200 DDR
Memory sockets 2 x 184-pin DDR DIMM
Maximum Memory 2.0 GB
Graphics None
Graphics configuration Up
Graphics connector (AGP) 1 AGP 8x
Audio Integrated AC97
AC'97 CODEC Device Realtek ALC658C 6-channel CODEC
Audio Jacks ( Legend below ) 2M (1F+1B), 2LI (1F+1B), LO, Headphone connector
Ethernet 10/100 LAN supplier Realtek® RTL8201CL LAN PHY Fast Ethernet LAN controller
Ethernet configuration Integrated, Down
IEE 1394 VIA VT6307
IEE 1394 Front/Back Options 1F + 1B
SATA connectors 2 SATA connectors (supports a total of 2 drives, 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive on each connector)
IDE UDMA modes 2 x UDMA 100/66/33
Expansion slots (AGP/PCI/Exten) 1 AGP, 3 PCI
USB ports Up to 6
USB Front/Back Options Up to 2F + 4B
Serial, parallel, floppy, PS2 keyboard and mouse 1S,1P,1F,PS2 K+M
Available manufacturing options ( Legend below ) ULE6

Here is the link to the MOBO specs:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1110863&docname=c00257657

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
I think what Pauldh was wondering is what have you put in your system.

Going on the picture I would assume that you have 1gig & 256mb sticks, take the 256mb stick out and run the games again and tell us how it went.

From your other forum thread, try the latest drivers now. One change at a time to see the difference.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I think what Pauldh was wondering is what have you put in your system.

Going on the picture I would assume that you have 1gig & 256mb sticks, take the 256mb stick out and run the games again and tell us how it went.

From your other forum thread, try the latest drivers now. One change at a time to see the difference.

Really? REMOVING ram might help?

Which should I try first?

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Try taking the 256mb out first. I assume that's how you have set this up.

Give it a run, then update the drivers, that way you can see any difference.

cleeve

Illustrious
does this card supports HDR? i thought on ati it was just from 1000 series and above

Any Radeon 9500 and up supports HDR.

However, you need a Radeon X1x00 or Geforce 6x00/7x00 to support a specific type of HDR, called "OpenEXR"

But Half Life and Counter Strike don't use OpenEXR.

trenchtoaster

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Wait, is it bad to have different sticks of ram? I have 1280 as well, 2 512 sticks of corsair, and then a stick of 256.

(I only have three RAM slots, 2 were filled with sticks of 256-- my brother needed a bit more ram too so I decided to order 2 sticks of 512 so I had an extra stick of 256 to give to my brother)

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
is it bad to have different sticks of ram?

Yes and No, depends what system you have. I ran my other system, Intel(only 2 slots) with two sticks then one, did some benchies, and scored about 400 better in 3D marks 03, this is going from 1gig to 512mb for my test also. Best to keep them matched.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Try taking the 256mb out first. I assume that's how you have set this up.

Give it a run, then update the drivers, that way you can see any difference.

While I am willing to do this, I need some sort of reasoning first.

From what I know the memory amounts DON'T have to match, as long as the BUS does... why would it make a difference.

Not to mention that fact it's going to slow down everything else as well...

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
It has to do with the 1T/2T memory controller. Both slots filled switches to the slower 2T. AMD seems more affected by this, after reading reviews and other peoples experiences. And my own experiment. I'm still learning more about this myself. My system ran better with only half memory in 1T, than 2x512mb in 2T, I want to get a 1gig stick only in this system.

One stick at 1T, should speed the system up, not down.

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
It has to do with the 1T/2T memory controller. Both slots filled switches to the slower 2T. AMD seems more affected by this, after reading reviews and other peoples experiences. And my own experiment. I'm still learning more about this myself. My system ran better with only half memory in 1T, than 2x512mb in 2T, I want to get a 1gig stick only in this system.

One stick at 1T, should speed the system up, not down.

The impression I had about this was the BUS... for instance if I had one stick of PC3200 and on at PC2700, they would BOTH run at 2700!

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Yeah they would both run at pc2700 bus speed.

http://www.obm.co.nz/OBMNew/800x600/guides/ddrram.htm
Command Rate CMD (1/ 2) (Command Rate, MA 1T/2T Select)
Number of clock cycles needed to address the memory module and the memory chip with the desired data zone. If your memory banks (slots) are full to capacity, you will have to raise this rate to two, resulting in a considerable drop in performance.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/microstar/645ultra/645galleryp2.htm
MA 1T/2T Select controls the SDRAM command rate. Selecting Normal allows SDRAM signal controller to run at 1T rate. Select Delay 1T makes SDRAM signal controller run at 2T rate. 1T is faster than 2T. Delay1T and Normal are the options.

These are some web links I found, hope they help explain.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Funny I just bought a 6600GT 128MB and it played fear fine. (YOur system is more powerful) Did you remove the drivers b4 reinstalling?

rmthompson

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Yeah they would both run at pc2700 bus speed.

http://www.obm.co.nz/OBMNew/800x600/guides/ddrram.htm
Command Rate CMD (1/ 2) (Command Rate, MA 1T/2T Select)
Number of clock cycles needed to address the memory module and the memory chip with the desired data zone. If your memory banks (slots) are full to capacity, you will have to raise this rate to two, resulting in a considerable drop in performance.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/microstar/645ultra/645galleryp2.htm
MA 1T/2T Select controls the SDRAM command rate. Selecting Normal allows SDRAM signal controller to run at 1T rate. Select Delay 1T makes SDRAM signal controller run at 2T rate. 1T is faster than 2T. Delay1T and Normal are the options.

These are some web links I found, hope they help explain.

But both of mine are pc3200.. so should the amount of memory even MATTER?

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Often overlooked - You should install as few RAM modules as possible. Reducing the number of chips on the module will also enhance performance and stability. The modules generally consist of eight or 16 chips. The number of memory modules you use in your system will have a direct impact on your command rate. The command rate specifies the number of clock cycles the memory controller needs to activate the modules and chips. If you've filled all your memory banks, you'll generally have to increase the rate from one to two clock cycles to keep your system stable. Unfortunately, that will also impair performance by up to three percent.

A cut out from the first web link. It's not the amount of memory but the slots used and unused.