Possible Video Card Issue, Need Advice

bweir

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Normally, I like to brag about how stable my system is, but I'm going to swallow my pride and ask the masses for some wisdom.

I went to boot up my system this morning (after working fine last night), and the drives spun up, but no image displayed on the monitor. Nothing at all. So I shut it off, restarted, and after about 10 seconds, before any image appeared again (even the mobo logo) the system just clicked off. No post beeps or anything. I did notice that the fan on the GPU sounded like it was vibrating, and confirmed that it was making some unusual noice, however, the fan still spun up to full speed (or so I convinced myself), so the GPU wasn't completely overheated, especially since the system hadn't even gotten to the the XP load screen. So, here at work, I'm left to wonder what I'll do tonight when I get home. I'm going to check the fan/heatsink and dust out the whole system, but I want to know if anyone has had this happen to them, and what they determined was causing it.

Here's my specs:

Asus A8v Deluxe
AMD 64 3500+
***ATI X800XT AIW, AGP Version
2Gb Corsair XMS
2x 36g Raptors
Antec Truepower 550W

It's also worth noting that this system is not overclocked, or modified in any way that would affect the GPU. Hopefully it'll work out to be a bad fan, but I hope it's not the whole card, as the AGP flavors are obscenely expensive to replace at this point.

Thanks for any advice and sorry for the long post.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
no beeps from your motherboard? you can also try disassembling all parts, cleaning dust as you said, then assemble all back. you can try another video card too, try to get some pci card just to see if the machine posts

TRENDING THREADS