Sign in with
Your question

Tiny (heat?) problem with 9800 pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 24, 2006 12:44:26 PM

I have a "tiny" problem with my 9800 pro... When you look at the screens below you can see that when 3d objects are lit in the game a strange thing hapens with the graphics, I searched all over the web after a solution or even a cause, and the closest i got was that it could have something to do with heat. But I'm in doubt it has something to do wit that, because it happens as you can see with demanding games, as with low demanding games. The problems don't get worse after time also, and they appear from the start, not over time...

Apparently as you can see in the first two screens it has something to do with dynamic lighting, the one taken outside has no problems, on the other hand the one where the objects are lit with torches it does have problems, these two screens are taken 2 seconds apart...

http://img229.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot00yy.jpg
http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot11hp.jpg

here you can see it even happens with stupid games :) 

http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=graphics4au.jpg

I used both omega as catalyst drivers, with no difference... The glitches do become bigger when i'm turning off detail options...
I'm kinda hoping it has something to do with heat problems, so I only have to buy an artic cooler or something.

So if anybody could help, I would appreciate it big time
March 25, 2006 8:42:10 AM

Looking at the type of artifacts, I'd venture to say it was memory related problem. But the orientation seems as though it can also be GPU related.

As a basic guideline - distortion of graphics (weird colors (RGB) stretched and skewed) are GPU bound problems, while specs and dots are memory bound. I haven't had much experience with such instances, but yours seems a bit unique.

I'd venture as far as to say that the card seems close to it's end..
March 25, 2006 10:06:47 AM

those pictures take me back to the days of my 9700 pro and 9800 pro, in short it too hot, but its gone past the point of fixing it, i'm sorry but its time to get a gun and take it out back, i had to do the same, a very sad day and it happened to me twice! i made sure that i had a better case for the next card.
Related resources
March 25, 2006 11:29:15 AM

Use ATI tools:

Under the overclocking section there is a timings section.

Raise TRP and TRAS by 1 each. (99% of people say it is heat, well yes heat caused it [see below], but it can be made working again, and even clock higher after the 'fix' is performed.).

This one is from my private knowledge base.

Sometimes this happens as cards get old, even if they've never been overclocked, (thermal expansion / contraction), by bumping TRP and TRAS on the Video RAM you can fix it.

After raising TRP and TRAS you may be able to overclock the card a little, and still not get any artifacts. 8)

Flashing the video BIOS of the card for an 'idential' (R9800) one with known 'good long term' video RAM timings is also an idea, but only if you're familar with the process.
March 25, 2006 11:54:07 AM

Now that's something I didn't know, and excellent advice mind you! 8)
March 25, 2006 12:19:59 PM

You can help a deprived gamer, using a 3rd rate system... $2 a day is all it takes, Just two dollars a day.

A dollar saved is a dollar earned. (The stuff I've done to save money to get a PC I am happy with :wink: ..... whoa.... not that sort of stuff :twisted: ).

Save $2 a day for a year, and you've got $730, that is enough for a pretty decent video card upgrade, may even cover other parts that need upgrading. Downside is you need to be patient as all hell. I don't like waiting longer 10ms for a frame to draw, let alone a year for an upgrade.... but such is path to progress.

While reading techdocs, whitepapers, etc, and thinking "Why the **** would this happen ?", I wasn't out spending that $2 a day I needed on confectionary, etc. :p 

Was happy when I finally cracked it (have owned many video cards on the brink of death, such as my current card which is a GeCube X800 XL, but runs the far better Gigabyte X800 XL BIOS for nicer RAM timings, and a slight overclock, etc - It actually performs better at the higher clock with the slower timings - 8O ).

How'd you think they 'refurbish' video cards anyway ?

I couldn't play Battlefield 2 for more than 15 minutes when I build this PC about a year ago without massive issues..... I didn't want to accept that, or RMA hardware..... and I can be one stubburn bastard, which has worked in my favour. 8)
March 25, 2006 3:29:03 PM

Fighting from the grave attitude.... I like! :wink: I'll PM you once my 1900 starts it's decent....
March 25, 2006 4:05:59 PM

Quote:
Use ATI tools:

Under the overclocking section there is a timings section.

Raise TRP and TRAS by 1 each. (99% of people say it is heat, well yes heat caused it [see below], but it can be made working again, and even clock higher after the 'fix' is performed.).

This one is from my private knowledge base.

Sometimes this happens as cards get old, even if they've never been overclocked, (thermal expansion / contraction), by bumping TRP and TRAS on the Video RAM you can fix it.

After raising TRP and TRAS you may be able to overclock the card a little, and still not get any artifacts. 8)

Flashing the video BIOS of the card for an 'idential' (R9800) one with known 'good long term' video RAM timings is also an idea, but only if you're familar with the process.

unfortunately this didn't do the job, well I need a new system anyway, I guess I have to buy one a bit sooner than expected
March 26, 2006 4:55:50 AM

Try raising CL by one aswell as some other timings.

Failing that..... bummer.
March 26, 2006 4:38:29 PM

thanks for the good info on TRP and TRAS. i didn't know about this.
March 27, 2006 12:15:42 PM

well it didn't work but thx for the advice.

I've been just plain stupid, had this problem from the moment I bought the thing. But with most detail options enabled and a high res the artefacts were there but ignorable. Now that my system is aging, and I have to turn stuff down, this is becoming a big issue. I should have returned it straight away :( 
!