BFG 6800GS needs extra cooling

Rammgod

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Ive just purchased a BFG 6800GS for my legacy 3.06 HT computer. It runs fine most of the time, however, if I burn cd's or put my side cover on the tower, the temp goes from an idle 53C to 67C and then the card turns off. I want to put in a VANTEC Iceberq CCB-A5C for cooling after reading reviews for its effectiveness in cooling. However, it lists the 6800/6800GT/ and 6800 Ultra as a "fit" for these cards. Since the GS is fairly new, I was wondering if this might also work for my 6800GS. If there are any other suggestions, I would also appreciate alternatives to this choice to review. Thanks much in advance!

Burning a CD hardly seems a particularly graphic intensive application..

Is it your gpu/video card core that is reading 67C, (which is not an unusual temp for many, btw)...??

Or is it your cpu temp reading that?

It's also possible your atx power supply is a bit weak...

Rammgod

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Thanks for the reply...my bad..its a dvd burn , not a cd. this is intensive from hard drive to dvd burner and it does correspond to upping the temp core of the gpu vis a vis reading from my rivaturner rpts. Actually it goes all the way to 74 C before I get a video card shutdown (my monitor goes to blinking amber lite instead of green and i have to reboot to get the vc back up and responding). Also important is that if i dont remove my side of my tower, the heat in the vc is just terrible with the same effects (much faster tho) and i am forced to remove it for helping keeping the card cooler and stable.
My atx power supply is 450 watts, only 4 months old and I have no probs with it at all. Again, the vc card only shutsdown when the heat is too much and the BFG 6800gs are notorious for overheating. I need help in finding a decent cooler for it and Im not sure if the Vantec is the way to go or possilbly the Artic cooler (?). Again, any ideas for cooling this vc would be much appreciated and thanks for your response.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
first off, it sounds like your case airflow is poor. You may need to fit an exhaust and/or intake fan, and maybe neaten up all the cables in the case so there's clear airflow.

On a separate note, the 4-point hsf mounting is the same on the GS as the other 6800 cards. I've got a GS and just fitted a NV silencer which is for all the 6800 cards and it was fine.

Rammgod

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Thnks CD for your response and yes...i have got 5 case fans and 2 internal ones and have tied down the cables and neaten'd them up as much as possible. So my next step is to cool down the card at its location.
You were absolutely correct about the airflow and I have already done as much as I could. Also, I am using AnyDvd/Clone2 and it does do graphics in its response to the burning process along with both the DvD burner and HD working simataneously (bad speller...sry) as well as heat intensive. Thanks again for all the responses in advance!

only_me

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
i have xfx 6800gs, i never like the cooler it had on it so i invested in a zalman fatal1ty fs-v7 cooler, it dropped my temps about 15% i would highly reccomend it.