Opinions on my new rig

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I probably should have asked this here before this. I'm just now really exploring this site. I'm in the process of building a new rig. My current system is a HP "package" I got from best buy about two years ago. It's an athalon xp running at 1.9mzh, 1G of ram and a 6800GT.

It's been a decent computer but it's having problems playing some of the newer games. So I'm getting a new rig.

Main points..

Cooler Master RC-810-SSN1 Stacker. I also ordered the "optional" side panal
that has a big window on it. This case freaking rocks..

I'm putting a Thermaltake 550w SLI Power Supply in it.

The mother board is Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

CPU is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual-Core.

Hard drives are
Primary drive is a Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial
ATA150

For storage I got a Western Digital Caviar 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard
Drive

I also picked up a new SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner, althought I'll take the
dvd burner out of my old (current) computer and install that as well.

To help cool it, I got a Zalmon 9500 heat stink/fan.

Everthing above is already bought and paid for. I did that Sunday night..

I'm going to put two gig of Consair low latency memory in there. When vista
comes out, I'll jump it up to 4 gig total.

I'm also going to get two 7900GTX (with the 512m ram each).

-----------------

A few questions. What do you guys thing about it? Not that I can change it, since I already paid for the parts. Infact, some have already arrived.

The mb has a built in raid controller. Does raid really help in gamming? Would TWO of these 150G raptors in raid array be over kill?

What would you guys have done differently? I could always exchange the parts real quick.

O, my current monitor is a 17inch hp. I'm going to upgrade that to an 19 inch. Probably a NEC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824002285

kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
i think its stupid for one reason. sli is nothing good. u should be fine with one 7900gt.the motherboard is nothing good either. just get the a8n sli or something else. the other is you should drop down to a 4400. well too bad u already paid for it. but other that that its good. just dont get sli. trust me. mostly everyone will tell you that. (i was the same way i wanted sli but the advice i got was real good) another thing is the mobo wont be able to handle 4 gigs of ram.2 gig should be fine for vista or maybe you can do 3.5 gigs

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
I agree in part and disagree in part.

First, if you plan to go to Vista in January, don't get SLI. By October or November, the next generation video cards will be out. They will likely cost as much as one 7900GTX but be twice as powerful. Meanwhile, two 7900s will only increase your performance by 10-30%, sometimes even less depending on the application.

You're much better off getting on 7900GTX now and upgrading in six months. Vista is supposed to be a very graphics intensive OS.

I disagree with Kais on the MB - I know two people who've had good experiences with it.

Finally, love the case. I have a CoolerMaster Centurian (great, very reasonably priced case) but I am using the Stacker for my next build.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
If vista is graphic extensive, would'nt I want two cards?

Umm, I'm a noob in certain areas....there's a new gpu chipset comming out this year???

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Two 7900GTX cards in SLI bought now = ~120% of performance of single 7900 GTX for 200% of the price

One 7900GTX now, replaced with an 8800GTX in 6 months = Same price as 2 7900GTXs, but 200% of performance (power doubles every six months) of the 7900GTX.

Look - SLI does NOT double performance, you only get a 10 to 30% boost for twice the price (and I am speaking as someone who has an SLI system).

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Oh, sorry, missed one of your questions. Yes, I will bet my left kidney that a new chipset is out by the end of the year.

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Prozac's right. He's so right, they wrote a book about how we need to listen to him (Link)

Just ribbing you P. It's Friday and I'm feeling punchy.

smedlin

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I've been saying that about SLI for long now. It DOES NOT double performace, so in majority of cases it's not worth it. Also, if you're spending that much money, get a single 7900GTX, and when next gen cards come out, get them.

I think i will probably do that. The rig I'm building, along with a 7900GTX will be very nice. Then in Aug (or whenever) I can buy two of the 8800s'.

"i think its stupid for one reason. sli is nothing good. "

That's a bit harsh, considering the 84% boost in fps in FEAR with SLI at various high resolutions, isnt it? (Personally, I'd have chosen two 7900GT models, still blistering performance in SLI)

Yes, many games are merely boosted by 40-60%, but it is up to the individual purchaser to weigh the cost/benefits of SLI with his/her desired games and chosen resolution...

People with SLI may have the final laugh if/when Nvidia updates some drivers to have physics processing done on one gpu, and rendering ont he other....; time will tell....

"SLI does NOT double performance, you only get a 10 to 30% boost for twice the price (and I am speaking as someone who has an SLI system)."

What games are you playing that you only achieve a 10-30% boost, and at what resolution?

kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
"i think its stupid for one reason. sli is nothing good. "

That's a bit harsh, considering the 84% boost in fps in FEAR with SLI at various high resolutions, isnt it? (Personally, I'd have chosen two 7900GT models, still blistering performance in SLI)

Yes, many games are merely boosted by 40-60%, but it is up to the individual purchaser to weigh the cost/benefits of SLI with his/her desired games and chosen resolution...

People with SLI may have the final laugh if/when Nvidia updates some drivers to have physics processing done on one gpu, and rendering ont he other....; time will tell....

ur posting in the wrong place my friend everyone in here will agree with me ask prozac he knows

kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
and about the a8n sli why not get the a8n32 for less when u dont even get sli. and another is the difference between the 7900 gt and 7900gtx isnt that much. maybe 10 percent