Athlon XP 3200 running at 67 degrees - is this normal?

LordLovatt

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Hi I'm new to this message board, although I do often read the main site. Anyway, I have an Athlon XP 3200 400FSB with stock HSF that is showing up in the BIOS as running at about 67 degrees centigrade. I would imagine this is a little on the high side, especially as I'm not doing anything particularly intensive. What do you guys think? Also, I know it's getting on a little bit now but would it still be considered a half decent CPU?

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yup definetly too hot. I had the same problem awhile ago, but it was just dust clogging up the airflow. I took out the HSF cleaned it all up (both sides), and reapplied thermal paste. It dropped the temp from 63 to 43, with I am much happier with it.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Does the fan work??

I would definately make sure you have it on correctly. The clip that holds the heatsink onto the socket MUST be put on correctly. When you remove the clip, you'll notice that bend in it is not centered, rather it is offset. Make sure that when you put the clip back on, the lowest part of the bent portion is directly over the CPU die. This places the pressure directly onto the CPU die for optimal contact.

I would also recommend using a quality thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Yup definetly too hot. I had the same problem awhile ago, but it was just dust clogging up the airflow. I took out the HSF cleaned it all up (both sides), and reapplied thermal paste. It dropped the temp from 63 to 43, with I am much happier with it.

Concur. 67 is too hot. 43-54 under load, with a decent flowing case and stock HSF combo should be the norm, assuming the room its in is 74F-80F. As kmjohnso stated, check the heatsink for dust clogging. The 3200 runs so hot under load that if your HS was improperly seated, or the thermal paste insufficient, the chip would have already popped

LordLovatt

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Cheers for the replies all. The HSF is definately working, but I took it off anyway and gave it a good blow to get the dust out. Also reapplied some thermal compound. A problem I have with my case is that there is no front inlet for cool air whatsoever. Until now I had a case fan on the back blowing hot air out with the PSU, but I have reversed this now so that it is blowing cool air in. It is located about 6 inches below the PSU outlet, so I don't think it's going to be sucking any hot air back in seeing as hot air rises.

Anyway I have checked again in the BIOS and it now seems to be idling around 59 C, so running slightly cooler. I have also installed MBM 5 whcih is giving me different readings. Before it was showing as idling in the high 50's but after the changes its giving me 54 C. I would rather believe the MBM results but would imagine the BIOS reading is more accurate?

Would it be worth me buying a new case with good airflow?

endyen

Splendid
You are still too warm. That chip was very hot.
Do you have a psu, with an intake fan in the bottom? Amd only recommends that setup. It does make a big difference.
Maybe look at getting a better hsf. The model you have is marginal, and was always advertised as a low noise (high temp) unit.
Even a vantec aeroflow would be marginal for your chip. See what Zalman, and thermalright are still selling, that will fit your board.

JavanBuddhi

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Yes it is probably too hot. My 2600+ peaks at 52C but only if keep the room temp around 28C. Otherwise it conks out. btw I use the stock cooler. 67C is definitely too hot for an aftermarket cooler.

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Hi I'm new to this message board, although I do often read the main site. Anyway, I have an Athlon XP 3200 400FSB with stock HSF that is showing up in the BIOS as running at about 67 degrees centigrade. I would imagine this is a little on the high side, especially as I'm not doing anything particularly intensive. What do you guys think? Also, I know it's getting on a little bit now but would it still be considered a half decent CPU?

Check the HSF. A little compressed air to remove the dust bunnies goes a long way.

paul_baker

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
are you sure that you dont have your hsf on backwards. since you have the athlon xp it is a socket a and there is a spot on one side that goes over the plastic part of the retention bracket and if you have your hsf on reversed it will cause a air gap resulting in higher temps.

LordLovatt

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
are you sure that you dont have your hsf on backwards. since you have the athlon xp it is a socket a and there is a spot on one side that goes over the plastic part of the retention bracket and if you have your hsf on reversed it will cause a air gap resulting in higher temps.

No it's definately on right, there is a ridge on the bottom of the heatsink which only goes on one way.

I've been hearing that 60C is pretty normal for a high end XP since they run hot anyway?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
60C is abit high.. And if the fan fails.. well, might be hard to say if it did.. hehe

My dad's XP 2400+ used to get 50C idle, 60C+ load (crappy stock HSF).

Changed the HSF out that supported up to 3700+ for around 24 bucks at CompUSA. His temps are now 42C idle, 47C load.

LordLovatt

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I think my next step is to invest in a better HSF anyway, maybe a Zalman or something. Mine obviously isn't up to the job.

No offence to anyone here, but where does it say that 60C is too high? As I understand it 85C is the max permittable for an XP, so surely 60C isn't that bad? Or is it something to do with shortening the CPU's life?

twinx

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
I have the same processor, and AMD's site says the safe temperature is up to 80C, yours is high but you still have a few C before it becomes dangerous.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Basically, if your in a room.. your CPU is running 60C+, it's basically a heater, regarless if your under the max thermal limit. In the summer, it will give you more heat problems, and can effect the performance. Can't remember if XP Althons back throttle. I don' think they do.

If you build the system to be efficient in cooling, it wont be that much of a heater. Running a system cooler will make it last longer, as well.

Edit: LOL this was on another thread... Looks like jumpmaster found the correct max temp... 65C

I honestly thought it was 80C.. but, I guess I had my P4 too damn long :lol:

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
FYI, those temps are for the athlon 64's which have lower max die temps. Correct temps for the athlon xp can be found :

http://www.prices123.com/cpu_AMD_Athlon-XP_guide

Or anywhere else you can find them. I think the biggest issue concerning temperatures was just processor life (although the processor might become outdated before it dies in anycase). Cooling also helps with system stability.

Also concerning the heating aspect you room will heat up the same amount whether your die temp is 30 or 100 (on the same processor). Cooling systems simply move the heat away from the cpu, the don't get rid of it.