Dumb Glider Question

'Scuse me if this question sounds really dumb - I'm sure there's an easy
answer but I can't figure it out.
How do I get the Glider to fly in FS2004?
I'd like to try it but every time I select the glider, it starts off on the
runway and there doesn't appear to be any way to get it into the air!
I had the same problem with FS2002 as well!
Am I missing something!!!!

Steve,
This is something that I hope Microsoft changes in its next version of
flight simulator. As things stand, there is no "realistic" way of taking off
in the glider. There are several methods for getting into the air though.
One method is to use the "Y" key to put the program in slew mode, then
increase your altitude to whatever you want and hit the "Y" key again to
release from slew mode. Another method is to take off normally with any
other powered aircraft, then in mid-flight change your aircraft to the
glider. And still another method is to download and install any number of
powered gliders from places like www.flightsim.com or www.avsim.com.
Of course, once you are in the air in your glider, you won't find any
thermals to soar in unless you are in very specific areas of the FS world. I
downloaded some thermal-generating untilities so that I could create my own
soaring scenery. There are several good utilities for doing this, such as
Thermiek, and Cross Country Soaring.

Randy L.

Steve O wrote:
> 'Scuse me if this question sounds really dumb - I'm sure there's an easy
> answer but I can't figure it out.
> How do I get the Glider to fly in FS2004?
> I'd like to try it but every time I select the glider, it starts off on the
> runway and there doesn't appear to be any way to get it into the air!
> I had the same problem with FS2002 as well!
> Am I missing something!!!!

Try taking off in anything else. When you get to altitude switch to the
glider. Do this on the menu bar.

"mike wheelock" <wheels2@twmi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Steve O wrote:
>> 'Scuse me if this question sounds really dumb - I'm sure there's an easy
>> answer but I can't figure it out.
>> How do I get the Glider to fly in FS2004?
>> I'd like to try it but every time I select the glider, it starts off on
>> the runway and there doesn't appear to be any way to get it into the air!
>> I had the same problem with FS2002 as well!
>> Am I missing something!!!!
>>

> Try taking off in anything else. When you get to altitude switch to the
> glider. Do this on the menu bar.

Thanks Mike.
But after applying myself to the problem, I found that I could press F4 and
Y to slew myself up to height from the runway.
Didn't know you could do that!

David

Have a look at this
http://www.virtualsoaring.org/library/How_to/launch2k2.htm this site also
has links to thermal scenery and glider downlaods

There is an add-on called Virtual Engine Technology VET which allows 2-3
mins of virtual power which I recall is meant to simulate a winch launch
profile takeoff, there is a scenery which allows a tow behind a power
aircraft but you can only do this at 1 site

David

> "mike wheelock" <wheels2@twmi.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Steve O wrote:
>>> 'Scuse me if this question sounds really dumb - I'm sure there's an easy
>>> answer but I can't figure it out.
>>> How do I get the Glider to fly in FS2004?
>>> I'd like to try it but every time I select the glider, it starts off on
>>> the runway and there doesn't appear to be any way to get it into the
>>> air!
>>> I had the same problem with FS2002 as well!
>>> Am I missing something!!!!
>>>

>> Try taking off in anything else. When you get to altitude switch to the
>> glider. Do this on the menu bar.
>
> Thanks Mike.
> But after applying myself to the problem, I found that I could press F4
> and Y to slew myself up to height from the runway.
> Didn't know you could do that!

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"RandyL" <rlink"nospam"@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Steve,
> This is something that I hope Microsoft changes in its next version of
> flight simulator. As things stand, there is no "realistic" way of taking
off
> in the glider. There are several methods for getting into the air though.
> One method is to use the "Y" key to put the program in slew mode, then
> increase your altitude to whatever you want and hit the "Y" key again to
> release from slew mode. Another method is to take off normally with any
> other powered aircraft, then in mid-flight change your aircraft to the
> glider. And still another method is to download and install any number of
> powered gliders from places like www.flightsim.com or www.avsim.com.
> Of course, once you are in the air in your glider, you won't find any
> thermals to soar in unless you are in very specific areas of the FS world.
> downloaded some thermal-generating untilities so that I could create my
own
> soaring scenery. There are several good utilities for doing this, such as
> Thermiek, and Cross Country Soaring.
>
> Randy L.

I may be wrong (probably am in fact), but I thought I heard that the new
Active Sky 5 has a thermal generator in it when the weather conditions are
suitable. If so, this could be a really interesting extension to the FS
world. I currently use CCS - Cross Country Soaring - but you have to TAB-W
or TAB-E to get an indication of where thermals are rather than looking at
the clouds and flying under a suitable one. If all you're trying to thermal
with is the FS "thermals" in the few places they exist then you might as
well use 'Y' (slew) and F3 to simulate a thermal climb - Microsoft thermals
are nothing but aggravated turbulence and certainly do not model real world
thermals in any way! In fact, if you set turbulence to "Moderate" in the
weather settings, although the glider does sometimes descend, the nett
result of Microsoft turbulence is to make you go up.

Steve

"Steve O" <stoboyle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Mike.
> But after applying myself to the problem, I found that I could press F4
and
> Y to slew myself up to height from the runway.
> Didn't know you could do that!

Or you can open the map from the menu and manually enter the height for the
aircraft. (Or the control tower view point for that matter.)

Si

Simon Robbins wrote:
> "Steve O" <stoboyle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Mike.
>> But after applying myself to the problem, I found that I could press
>> F4 and Y to slew myself up to height from the runway.
>> Didn't know you could do that!
>
> Or you can open the map from the menu and manually enter the height
> for the aircraft. (Or the control tower view point for that matter.)
>
> Si

How would we be able to quill properly without slew?

Homer Simpson voice (aaah sleeew)

--
Cheers
Quilljar

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk

Dallas wrote:
> "Quilljar"
>> How would we be able to quill properly without slew?
>
> There is no proper way to quill, silly. :)
>

> Dallas

Like the proper rules for a knife fight eh? You watch too many Robert
Redford movies Dally :)