Windows won't start?

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
My computer worked just fine until I switched my hard drive to a different computer and switched it back to my original. It goes to the black screen and says that windows failed to start, and that a software or hardware change could have caused the problem. It gave me the option to either run startup repair or run my computer normally. When I run startup repair, my computer just freezes on my desktop. It doesn't even load my background or my icons. When I run it normally, it just gets stuck on starting windows. What could I do to fix this?

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
No, I can't repair windows 7 because I can't even use my computer due to this error. I'm forced to play on my laptop.

Try starting in Safe Mode with Networking and download and install the drivers for your system.

If you can't get it to boot in Safe Mode you have to get a disk to run a repair setup, or restore the drive from a restore partition if there is one on the system. That restore will wipe everything on the disk though.

When you moved the drive to that other computer, you loaded different drives on the OS, which are now conflicting with the hardware in the original computer.

Without an OS disk, you can't do anything useful unless you can start the PC at least in Safe Mode.

MichaelTS

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Can't start it in safe mode. There's nothing I can do to fix it without the win7 OS disk?