Sign in with
Your question

LAUNCH OF AMD TURION 64 X2 CPUs MAY START PRICE WAR

Last response: in CPUs
March 25, 2006 2:13:31 AM

Read the full story here:
http://digitimes.com/systems/a20060324PR210.html
Quote:
Notebook makers in Taiwan predict that AMD's first batch of dual-core Turion 64 mobile processors, which will reportedly be released on May 9, may start a price war in the dual-core notebook market sooner than expected. AMD is expected to offer better prices for its Turion 64 X2 CPU line than comparable offerings from Intel, indicated the makers.
March 25, 2006 2:15:17 AM

Quote:
Read the full story here:
http://digitimes.com/systems/a20060324PR210.html
Notebook makers in Taiwan predict that AMD's first batch of dual-core Turion 64 mobile processors, which will reportedly be released on May 9, may start a price war in the dual-core notebook market sooner than expected. AMD is expected to offer better prices for its Turion 64 X2 CPU line than comparable offerings from Intel, indicated the makers.

The only way Intel can compete is to slash prices on their CPU's, but it doesn't matter, you pay for what you get, and paying more for an AMD that performs better is well worth it.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time
March 25, 2006 2:16:35 AM

Quote:
The only way Intel can compete is to slash prices on their CPU's, but it doesn't matter, you pay for what you get, and paying more for an AMD that performs better is well worth it.

Second that! :wink:
Related resources
March 25, 2006 2:18:57 AM

Get a new keyboard.
March 25, 2006 2:20:07 AM

Quote:
Get a new keyboard.

Blame your mother. She takes too long to deliver it. :wink:
March 25, 2006 2:25:05 AM

Get new material.
March 25, 2006 2:25:55 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Get a new keyboard.

Blame your mother. She takes too long to deliver it.

That's the bad thing about whores, they screw up in everything.
So, how was your "ride" on that b!tch?? :lol: 
That slut is a hottie. :twisted:

P.S: Hey Action, tell your mom to send my keyboard also. 8)
March 25, 2006 2:28:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Get a new keyboard.

Blame your mother. She takes too long to deliver it.

That's the bad thing about whores, they screw up in everything.
So, how was your "ride" on that b!tch?? :lol: 
That slut is a hottie. :twisted:

P.S: Hey Action, tell your mom to send my keyboard also. 8)

Wow man, you broke nearly 5 rules in the ToS in 1 post, that's got to be a record...oh wait...in the 3 posts dedicated to flaming me, I think somebody broke about 30, dang, close though!

March 25, 2006 2:35:43 AM

Quote:
Wow man, you broke nearly 5 rules in the ToS in 1 post, that's got to be a record...oh wait...in the 3 posts dedicated to flaming me, I think somebody broke about 30, dang, close though!

I'm not flaming any one, I'm just saying the thruth. :oops: 
March 25, 2006 3:41:22 AM

Quote:

It will be interesting to see how Turion X2 benches against Yohna, some preliminary numbers (site is in german):
Turion X2 Bench, German :lol: 

After translating that site, the score for the 2.0GHz Turion is calculated according to the *, and there is still plenty of time to refine the Turion.

March 25, 2006 6:50:31 AM

Not so AMD fanboy. Poorion is nowhere near a Core Duo and the Poorion X2 won't beat it performance and energy wise thus it will be sold at probably 60% of the Duo price just to stay attractive. AMD is slashing prices,not Intel.
I'd chose a Duo rather than a Poorion anyday and anyone with a clear sight would do the same. More performance,less energy consumption and of course Intel quality on top of it :D 
March 25, 2006 7:30:47 AM

CompGeek,
Intel quality, that was......
the quality of the mobile computer is 95% everything else and 5% the CPU.
There are good(or bad, ass you wish) mobile processors from both Intel and AMD. I can say Dothan and Yonah are better than Turion64, while Turion64 is better than Pentium4. You will buy suitable notebook acording to your budget, not to your fanboyisam.
I have 2 HP notebooks, one of them is with Turion64, other with PentiumM, the PentiumM system is faster but more expencive.
March 25, 2006 7:54:10 AM

price wars are good.
March 25, 2006 8:18:37 AM

Quote:
price wars are good.

i second that motion!
March 25, 2006 9:50:45 AM

I was comparing Yonah to Turion so yes i agree.
The P4 sucks hard as laptop chip.
Intel quality, well it does matter for me since i've been using solely Intel chips.
March 25, 2006 10:19:22 AM

Quote:
Get a new keyboard.

Quote:
Get new material.

Sounds like you should take your own advice.

This should be interesting. I'm looking at getting a new laptop next year, so I'll have to watch this closely.
March 25, 2006 10:58:08 AM

Quote:
Poorion

You get a C- for effort.

@Topic: Turion 64 X2's standard TDP's are 10w below Merom (25w vs 35w), an LV and ULV version could match easily Merom's ULV (5w).

March 25, 2006 12:39:16 PM

Like some of the shops said in other threads, you get kicked in the nutts because you loose money fixing these turion. Costco said that they are getting those turion returns because of heat, short battery life and they break. Yes, costco is also getting kicked in the nutts!
March 25, 2006 1:16:21 PM

Quote:
Like some of the shops said in other threads, you get kicked in the nutts because you loose money fixing these turion. Costco said that they are getting those turion returns because of heat, short battery life and they break. Yes, costco is also getting kicked in the nutts!

Obviously any problems with a laptop HAVE to be related to the CPU, it couldn't possibly be the GPU, motherboard, case, or amount of cooling, that's absolutely never the problem, it's always 100% the CPU :roll:. You get a D+ for effort.

March 25, 2006 3:00:02 PM

Quote:

You get what you pay for. Doesnt matter that you have a Turion when you buy a cheap a$$ laptop from emachines. Does anyone check reviews before they go plunk down money on a notebook.
March 25, 2006 3:22:34 PM

Quote:
@Topic: Turion 64 X2's standard TDP's are 10w below Merom (25w vs 35w), an LV and ULV version could match easily Merom's ULV (5w).

You can rest assured that Turion X2 at 2.0GHz will beat an equally clocked Yonah processor AND it will consume less power than the Yonah chip.
March 25, 2006 3:30:28 PM

Quote:
You can rest assured that Turion X2 at 2.0GHz will beat an equally clocked Yonah processor AND it will consume less power than the Yonah chip.

Really, you don't have any solid evidence to reassure me with by any chance?

In any case, price wars are good for everybody, except maybe the company's profit margins.
March 25, 2006 3:36:14 PM

Quote:
Poorion

You get a C- for effort.

FANBOY WAR! TAKE COVER!
March 25, 2006 5:44:02 PM

You live in a dream world full of AMD fanboy! I give you a 'BI' for Blinded Idiot!
March 25, 2006 6:32:47 PM

Quote:
You live in a dream world full of AMD fanboy! I give you a 'BI' for Blinded Idiot!

Me? I use Intel. Check my siggy. I might switch to AMD, but I'll never be a fanboy. Some of these guys are so obsessed that they contemplate suicide if the other company releases a CPU that's faster than their company's.
March 25, 2006 6:34:21 PM

Very True!
March 25, 2006 6:47:50 PM

I plan on suicide when conroe comes out. :lol: 
Suicide meaning a purchase of a new Intel system.
March 25, 2006 6:53:03 PM

Quote:
Get new material.

And the new keyboard shtick is fresh?
March 25, 2006 7:04:43 PM

Quiet noob.
March 25, 2006 7:29:42 PM

Yeah SURE.
A Poorion at 2 Ghz won't beat a Core Duo. Same goes for single core( and we have benchies to that).
Poorion single was bad enough, poorion dual will bring lot of laughter.

Anyway, seriously, the only proof there contradicts you theory. Keep dreaming AMDroid.
March 25, 2006 8:08:03 PM

True, but MadModMike is really stupid, i'm not a fanboy of Intel nor AMD but, the Intel Core Duo is current generation of the chips, soon enough Intel will release their next batch of chips that the Turion 64 X2 will have to compete with. MadModMike is comparing Intel current gen against AMD next gen and besides MadModMike is a part of nVidia and nVidia and AMD are working closely together so, of course his comments are going to be bias/fanboy like. So, basically just disregard his comments and listen to the neutral fanboys that want to make their computers the best as possible.
March 25, 2006 8:34:18 PM

Quote:
True, but MadModMike is really stupid, i'm not a fanboy of Intel nor AMD but, the Intel Core Duo is current generation of the chips, soon enough Intel will release their next batch of chips that the Turion 64 X2 will have to compete with. MadModMike is comparing Intel current gen against AMD next gen and besides MadModMike is a part of nVidia and nVidia and AMD are working closely together so, of course his comments are going to be bias/fanboy like. So, basically just disregard his comments and listen to the neutral fanboys that want to make their computers the best as possible.

Hmm....an F for effort, sorry.

Actually, I'm not comparing current Intel to next-gen AMD, because Core Duo IS part of the next-gen, and Turion X2 is also next-gen. The Core-Duo is not as powerful as everybody thinks and according to benchmarks, it isn't either. Not sure why you think I'm part of nVidia, a name doesn't mean jack other than a sequential amount of letters in a specific order, if I worked for nVidia, I wouldn't be on these forums, I'd be working.

@Comp

Obviously you're an idiot, and that goes without saying...but I had to say it anyways =/. The Turion X2's TDP is below Merom, 25w vs. 35w, and an LV or ULV version means Less Power but also LESS PERFORMANCE, derrrr, a Turion X2 LV and ULV could EASILY match 5w for the ULV of Merom, and the performance of Turion X2's w/o a Memory Bug and proper DDR2, means Turion X2's could be just as good as Merom, if not better. Add in the price, and a Turion X2 looks to beat a Merom in Price/Performance/Power, hmm...

March 25, 2006 8:51:41 PM

Try harder next time.
Hint: Get some information before posting, might save you from becoming a joke over and over again with every post you make.

- Yonah is current gen, so is Booh!rion
- Merom is next gen, so is Booh!rion suX2
- Merom TDP is 31W while Booh!rions TDPs are 25W and 35W
- 25W Booh!rions just are way too slow to compete
- 35W Booh!rions are a bit faster (of course still FAR away) but consume ~13% more power (judging only by TDP, real consumption difference will be even greater)
- Booh!rion suX2 will not totally outperform the FX-60 so it wont even see Meroms backlights

So why should there be a price war? AMD doesnt even deserve it by making such a lousy processor like the Booh!rion line.
Intel might lower prices by about ~10% just not to seem overpriced to nobrainers like you.

These points should be enough for now. If you have learned these facts, you will be provided more of them.
March 25, 2006 9:35:41 PM

Quote:
Try harder next time.
Hint: Get some information before posting, might save you from becoming a joke over and over again with every post you make.

- Yonah is current gen, so is Booh!rion
- Merom is next gen, so is Booh!rion suX2
- Merom TDP is 31W while Booh!rions TDPs are 25W and 35W
- 25W Booh!rions just are way too slow to compete
- 35W Booh!rions are a bit faster (of course still FAR away) but consume ~13% more power (judging only by TDP, real consumption difference will be even greater)
- Booh!rion suX2 will not totally outperform the FX-60 so it wont even see Meroms backlights

So why should there be a price war? AMD doesnt even deserve it by making such a lousy processor like the Booh!rion line.
Intel might lower prices by about ~10% just not to seem overpriced to nobrainers like you.

These points should be enough for now. If you have learned these facts, you will be provided more of them.

LOL @ U! Every word you said was wrong, lol, you shouldn't even try at all, you make yourself more of an @$$ with every word you type, lol.

March 25, 2006 9:54:04 PM

Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

MadModMike vs. Ycon

Steel cage death match.... place your bets peeps! :twisted:

:lol: 
March 25, 2006 10:03:19 PM

Obviously your a dumba$$, I never said that you worked for nVidia, i said your part of the nVidia company. You are a fictional character created to help sell nVidia products and by all means I like nVidia products as well as Ati i only purchase what is the best at the time. MadModMike, you are the first member in the slizone and nVidia created videos about you introducting the 7800gtx. I don't know what your talking about but i agree with ycon get more info before you post and Yonah is current generation. Conroe and Merom is next generation. You really know you information MadModMike.
March 25, 2006 10:10:35 PM

Quote:
Obviously your a dumba$$, I never said that you worked for nVidia, i said your part of the nVidia company. You are a fictional character created to help sell nVidia products and by all means I like nVidia products as well as Ati i only purchase what is the best at the time. MadModMike, you are the first member in the slizone and nVidia created videos about you introducting the 7800gtx. I don't know what your talking about but i agree with ycon get more info before you post and Yonah is current generation. Conroe and Merom is next generation. You really know you information MadModMike.

Sorry, but I'm not a dumb@$$, the fact you say I'm "part of nVidia" means you're referring to my name which refers to a character which means absolutely nothing but you're a moron...I chose this name because my name in real life is Mike, and I also love to Mad Mod computers, I did not choose this name because I am pretending to be a fat guy with a jetpack, obviously I knew of that character and that is where the name came from, but that is the only reference I have to that character...the name.

BTW, I do know my information, but it's futile to try and prove it as anybody can be made to be smart on the Internet, that's why Google is popular.

March 25, 2006 10:13:41 PM

whatever you say and if you say who you are, couldn't nVidia sue you for using their fictional character?
March 25, 2006 10:14:28 PM

Quote:
I did not choose this name because I am pretending to be a fat guy with a jetpack

I don't know about that one. :p 
March 25, 2006 10:57:59 PM

Quote:
whatever you say and if you say who you are, couldn't nVidia sue you for using their fictional character?

Then I guess Action Man would get sued next for using Lee Majors action figure as his avatar with one eye poked out. :lol: 

oh when will the insanity end.... Sunday!, Sunday!, Sunday!

mmmmmwhahahahahaha
March 26, 2006 1:11:33 AM

Quote:
Then I guess Action Man would get sued next for using Lee Majors action figure as his avatar with one eye poked out.

Who says I haven't got permission to use it? :p 
March 26, 2006 2:05:11 AM

dont just say ycon is wrong, do what u tell everyone else to do, prove it.
March 26, 2006 3:11:24 AM

Quote:
dont just say ycon is wrong, do what u tell everyone else to do, prove it.

What do I have to prove?

I said Turion's have a lower TDP than Merom, it's a fact: 35w vs. 25w

Ycon: "Merom TDP is 31w" - The Truth: 35w
Ycon: "Turion X2's @ 25w are too slow" - The Truth: 1.8GHz Turion's w/ 25w
Ycon: "35w Turion's are faster but consume 13% more power" - The Truth: They are the same TDP as Merom....
Ycon: "Turion X2's won't out-perform an FX-60" - The Truth: I should hope not...
Ycon: "Merom and Turion X2 are next-gen" - The Truth: Wow, he got one right..

Hmm..and people tell me I'm an idiot... :roll:

March 26, 2006 5:01:28 AM

A whole lot of arguing and bickering going on here...

The simple fact is that when AMD and Intel have price wars in any market, the consumer is the one who benifits. Company A releases a CPU which out-performs it's competitor's and for less money. Company B responds by lowering the cost of their respective CPU... On and on it goes.

Look at the laptops being offered from any of the major brands in the $500 - $700 price range. The performance you get out of these things absolutely destroys similarly priced laptops from only a year ago (heck, maybe even 6 months ago).

Competition is good for the economy, it's good for the companies, and it's good for the consumer.

I'm especially interested to see what they can do with the 5w ULV CPUs coming out in the near future. Less TDP means less fans are needed (maybe even passive cooling?), so the battery is saved not only from the CPU end. My current HP notebook needs to be recharged after a 2 hour class (when all I'm doing is running Wordpad to take down notes)... If I could get something that could last me nearly the whole day... :D 
March 26, 2006 5:20:44 AM

Get a circumcision and have the foreskin on your Lee Majors doll's neck trimmed so it doesn’t look like a dickhead. Or was that the effect you were going for?
March 26, 2006 6:21:39 AM

I have to agree, in part at least, with Mikes comments. (and I am sure people here know I often don't :p )

For a laptop you generally don't want bleeding edge CPU performance, you want maximum battery life.

The Turion 64/X2 is so much more affordable, thus you can buy a 2nd battery and still spend less (dollar wise) with a more expensive Core Duo laptop.

As you've got 2 batteries, and laptops auto hibernate when empty so can swap in 2nd one, you've just doubled the Turions battery life and saved heaps of $$$ compared to Core Dou / Pentium M model laptops.

The original Turion 64 was 35w, but AMD have had 25w models on the market for some time which have far better battery life. Soon they will have dual-core ones at 25w, hopefully far with more advanced power management than Enh SpeedStep.

www.amdcompare.com

I don't care about a +/-15% CPU performance difference on a laptop, when I can save $300+ or get 2 batteries and still come under budget with twice (+100%) the battery life.

Frankly I think we are long overdue for 24+ hour battery life in laptops.

ED: For reference most Intel (eg: Pentium M) mobile chips are 27w, however they have the advantage, fow now, of lower power DDR2 and also what appears to be a more advanced power management for laptops in Enh SpeedStep.

Still 2 batteries for the same cost, you can't argue with a deal like that.

Another thing I've noticed is most AMD laptops have 1280 x 768 screens, where as Intel laptops have 1280 x 800 screens. That makes equal comparisons with the screen on hard, as the Intel screen is going to draw more power (although they make up for this as above).

Halving the clock speed on the fly, and lowering voltage, etc will only use 25% the power. If it can do that, and speed back up when needed within 1 or 2 clock cycles battery life is extended heaps. This excludes features like PowerNow!, etc btw.

(Currently Turions tend to sit at 1.6 GHz, but PowerNow!, etc can get their battery drain down to 30% when not loaded, if they can get it down to under 1% drain at Idle load I'll be very impressed)
March 26, 2006 6:43:30 AM

Quote:
I said Turion's have a lower TDP than Merom, it's a fact: 35w vs. 25w

Ycon: "Merom TDP is 31w" - The Truth: 35w
Ycon: "Turion X2's @ 25w are too slow" - The Truth: 1.8GHz Turion's w/ 25w
Ycon: "35w Turion's are faster but consume 13% more power" - The Truth: They are the same TDP as Merom....
Ycon: "Turion X2's won't out-perform an FX-60" - The Truth: I should hope not...
Ycon: "Merom and Turion X2 are next-gen" - The Truth: Wow, he got one right..

Hmm..and people tell me I'm an idiot... :roll:

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sS...
http://www.intel.com/technology/magazine/computing/powe...

Mike, again you are listening to your AMD heart, not to your mind...

1. Merom TDP is 31W, same as Yonah...
2. Merom at 2.33Ghz TDP is 31W, Turion X2 2.2Ghz (there is no 2.33) is 35W, 31<35
3. 35W TDP Turions are consuming 40% more power than the 25W TDP Turions, and 13% more than Merom.

Now lets clear up some things Mike, TurionX2 at same clock will not be faster than Merom. Merom is Core Architecture, and we've allready seen some benches on its Architecture.
Lets say that is only a guess....
I have 2 notebooks, AMD Turion64(Lancaster) and Pentium M(Dothan) based. While working(programming VS.NET2, mathcad, mathlab, Photoshop), gaming(WarCraft III, DotA) and benchmarking, I figured out that the Dothan is faster in almost everything than the Turion64 at same clock....
That means that improved core(or two) than the one I have now on my Pentium M 760 will overperform Turion64 also. Why be stupid and think that 2 Turions will keep up with Merom. TurionX2 will not be faster, nor equal to Merom, it might be cheper.
March 26, 2006 7:06:25 AM

Yeah, but what was the price difference on those notebooks ? (Assuming most specs equal, screen size/res as equal as possible, similar batteries, and both purchased within 2 weeks of each other)

Lancaster is the 35w Turion MT-## isn't it ? (The one that consumes 'up to' 40% more power than the Turion ML-##).

Note: Invert of 140% = 1/1.4 = 71.42%
Note: Also agree with your above comments, but also some of Mikes, despite the contrast.
!