Your question

Boot Issue

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • Boot
Last response: in Windows 7
April 7, 2011 3:14:39 AM

I know I did this to myself, but I need help fixing the problem.

I had just finished upgrading my computer to Windows 7 using a multi-computer upgrade disc. Windows 7 was running just fine. However when I booted up I had to choose from " Windows XP Media Edition setup" and "Windows 7". I found this annoying since I didn't have Windows XP anymore. So I went in search of a way to delete that option, like boot.ini. But found out Windows 7 no longer has boot.ini.
I did find where I could uncheck the box that shows the boot choice for 30 seconds, and where I selected Windows 7 as my default system.
I then rebooted to see if this worked and of course it tried to go to Windows XP which isn't on the computer anymore and just tells me it can't find a system.
It no longer pops up with the choice of operating systems, I can't do anything.
I tried booting from the upgrade disc, of course that doesn't work. I then made a recovery disc from my laptop that I had loaded Windows 7 on earlier.
The computer doesn't recognise the disc (DVD) as it tries to boot.

Help

More about : boot issue

April 8, 2011 12:48:52 AM

Here is what I have tried so far:

I made a system recovery disc from my laptop, the desktop does not recognize it. I have the bios boot from the cd/dvd rom, no luck.

I tried using my copy of windows xp media edition, no luck.

I tried using my Windows Vista recovery disc, no luck.

I tried using an image disc, no luck.

My computer does not give me an option to use a USB drive.

F5 and F8 don't allow me to get to safe mode. All it gives me is a choice of boot devices. None of which work.

It still just trys to load the old Windows XP Media edition, and won't give me the option of selecting Windows 7 which is installed and was working great until I tried to "fix" my boot menu!

It does recognize the 3.5 floppy, but alas no Windows 7 floppies out there that I can find. And since all I have is an upgrade version, I assume trying to do a clean install is out of the question.

You would think that one little check box (Time to display list of operating systems) wouldn't cause so much trouble!
m
l
April 18, 2011 12:01:53 AM

Okay, the latest. I was able to make a bootable USB thumb drive, loaded my Win7 upgrade, and of course it didn't work. My computer recognizes it, but then I get bootmanager not present.

I can't believe this has stumped even Microsoft! I guess I'll be looking for a new hard drive soon!
m
l
!