Epson Stylus Color 600 on XP

My desktop computer died so I had a get a new one. I am now, a very
inexperienced XP user. The computer recognized my printer with the right
one but it will not print. All print jobs go in the queue but will not go
any further. I tried using the original CD that came with the printer for
win97 but it said that there are no drivers selected or whatever. The
original window with the ink gauges is not coming up anymore. The printer
does not seem to be initializing. Can anybody help.

Thanks
Eric
9 answers Last reply
More about epson stylus color

    "Eric J. Comeau" <ejcomeau@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    > My desktop computer died so I had a get a new one. I am now, a very
    > inexperienced XP user. The computer recognized my printer with the right
    > one but it will not print. All print jobs go in the queue but will not go
    > any further. I tried using the original CD that came with the printer for
    > win97 but it said that there are no drivers selected or whatever. The
    > original window with the ink gauges is not coming up anymore. The printer
    > does not seem to be initializing. Can anybody help.

    Go to www.epson.com
    (and register your 600 printer if not done before)
    and look for printer drivers (free downloads)
    especially for Windows XP. (But this is so
    old a printer there may be none -- in which case
    you might get better advice in an XP.printing newsgroup.)

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    I'm afraid Epson is not offering an updated driver for this printer.
    That leave you having to use the boxed driver from XP. However,
    although it will not have all the features, and likely not have the ink
    monitor, it should supply most of the basic features.

    Are you unable to get a test page from the printer? Does XP indicate
    you have your 600 as the default printer?

    Art

    Don Phillipson wrote:
    > "Eric J. Comeau" <ejcomeau@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >> My desktop computer died so I had a get a new one. I am now, a very
    >> inexperienced XP user. The computer recognized my printer with the
    >> right one but it will not print. All print jobs go in the queue but
    >> will not go any further. I tried using the original CD that came
    >> with the printer for win97 but it said that there are no drivers
    >> selected or whatever. The original window with the ink gauges is
    >> not coming up anymore. The printer does not seem to be
    >> initializing. Can anybody help.
    >
    > Go to www.epson.com
    > (and register your 600 printer if not done before)
    > and look for printer drivers (free downloads)
    > especially for Windows XP. (But this is so
    > old a printer there may be none -- in which case
    > you might get better advice in an XP.printing newsgroup.)

    You *are* an idiot! Use some common-sense! Why on *Earth* should there be an
    XP driver for a decade old printer?!
    on salads.

    Eric J. Comeau wrote:
    > My desktop computer died so I had a get a new one. I am now, a very
    > inexperienced XP user. The computer recognized my printer with the
    > right one but it will not print. All print jobs go in the queue but
    > will not go any further. I tried using the original CD that came
    > with the printer for win97 but it said that there are no drivers
    > selected or whatever. The original window with the ink gauges is not
    > coming up anymore. The printer does not seem to be initializing. Can
    > anybody help.
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    Some people don't have the sense they were born with (if, indeed, they were
    born with any). Just think for a minute: -

    1) The printer is a decade old - why would the CD work? What happened -
    Epson had time machine to go ten years into the future and see that MS would
    write an OS called Windows XP and that someone called Eric would want to run
    a 600 under Windows XP so they'd better write a driver?
    2) Do please enlighten the rest of the planet as to what Windows 97 was
    like - as MS seems to have given you an exclusive on this non-existent OS.
    3) Of course there is no status monitor - why on earth would there be?
    Your only choice is to use the XP native driver and that's enough to get it
    printing (hopefully). The status monitor was part of the Epson driver - and
    there isn't one for XP.
    4) You now have two choices - try to get it working with the native
    driver or buy a new printer - and I know which I'd do.

    on salads.

    I suggest that you let XP provide the printer driver. I did that with my
    Epson Stylus Color 800 under similar circumstances and had no problems.

    Bob

    --
    Remove "NO SPAM" to reply
    "Eric J. Comeau" <ejcomeau@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > My desktop computer died so I had a get a new one. I am now, a very
    > inexperienced XP user. The computer recognized my printer with the right
    > one but it will not print. All print jobs go in the queue but will not go
    > any further. I tried using the original CD that came with the printer for
    > win97 but it said that there are no drivers selected or whatever. The
    > original window with the ink gauges is not coming up anymore. The printer
    > does not seem to be initializing. Can anybody help.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Eric

    I did just that and it did not work.
    Eric

    "BOB BURKE" <bobburke@optusnet.com.NOSPAM.au> wrote in message
    >I suggest that you let XP provide the printer driver. I did that with my
    >Epson Stylus Color 800 under similar circumstances and had no problems.
    >
    > Bob
    >
    > --
    > Remove "NO SPAM" to reply
    > "Eric J. Comeau" <ejcomeau@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> My desktop computer died so I had a get a new one. I am now, a very
    >> inexperienced XP user. The computer recognized my printer with the right
    >> one but it will not print. All print jobs go in the queue but will not
    >> go any further. I tried using the original CD that came with the printer
    >> for win97 but it said that there are no drivers selected or whatever.
    >> The original window with the ink gauges is not coming up anymore. The
    >> printer does not seem to be initializing. Can anybody help.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Eric

    You don't need to register your printer to get access to support for
    downloads of drivers. Sadly, they do not indicate an XP driver for the 600.

    I will see if there is any reasonable workaround to this problem, as it
    comes up quite regularly with older printers. Old printers, but often
    completely functional ones.

    Art

    Don Phillipson wrote:

    > "Eric J. Comeau" <ejcomeau@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >

    >>My desktop computer died so I had a get a new one. I am now, a very
    >>inexperienced XP user. The computer recognized my printer with the right
    >>one but it will not print. All print jobs go in the queue but will not go
    >>any further. I tried using the original CD that came with the printer for
    >>win97 but it said that there are no drivers selected or whatever. The
    >>original window with the ink gauges is not coming up anymore. The printer
    >>does not seem to be initializing. Can anybody help.
    >

    > Go to www.epson.com
    > (and register your 600 printer if not done before)
    > and look for printer drivers (free downloads)
    > especially for Windows XP. (But this is so
    > old a printer there may be none -- in which case
    > you might get better advice in an XP.printing newsgroup.)

    If he's an idiot, for trying to be helpful, I guess that makes you an
    absolute genius and a saint. It's people like you that make me hope
    there is Karma.

    I just had a discussion today with the printer division at MS about what
    options for older printer owners (that's the printers that are old, not
    necessarily the people).

    Here's the scoop. Microsoft has tried to offer some basic printer
    drivers "in box" with each of their OSs to simplify installation for
    people who may not have their driver disks anymore, or for printers than
    may have been forgotten by the manufacturers over the years. However,
    they do not offer drivers for every printer, and the drivers tend to be
    simplified relative to what the manufacturer may have originally
    offered. This often means the driver, if it exists will have a limited
    feature set.

    In terms of how to approach this:

    If you are upgrading your OS, first, before doing so, check the
    internet, both manufacturer's websites and other private or driver
    collection sites to see if a more current driver that will work with the
    new OS you are planning to install is available. This involves nay
    peripheral, including printers, scanners, video or sound cards, and so on.

    Sometimes individuals hack or create newer drivers for newer OSs even if
    the manufacturer has not. In cases of things like sound and video cards,
    many times the manufacturer has been bought out and you may need to
    follow the yellow brick road to find a working driver at a new website
    or a legacy site. Sometimes, you will find a driver that works with the
    chipset on the card even if it is not designated to the specific
    manufacturer. If you find some, download them before migrating to the
    new OS, and place them on a floppy if small enough, or CD.

    If none can be found, the OS may have "in box" drivers from the OS
    provider. They often are more basic. Sadly, with printers, they do
    little more than print text, but you won't know until you install them
    and try. If the OS finds the device, it usually should allow it to
    work, at least in some limited fashion. If you cannot print a test
    page, chances are there is either a conflict with a port, IRQ or
    something in the CMOS/bios. It may require some testing to get it
    working. A common problem is a printer port or parallel port
    misconfiguration. Check the CMOS/bios to see how the LPT1 (for
    instance) printer port is set up. Port speed, directionality, and type
    may all influence how the printer and computer respond to each other.

    If you are unable to find a driver to work with the OS printer
    combination, there are probably only a few options open to you:

    1) You can certainly complain to the manufacturer, although they are not
    under legal obligation in most jurisdictions to provide a working
    driver, some countries may have time periods that the manufacturer is
    required to keep the product functional in new environments.

    Even if that isn't the case, sometimes if you press the issue the
    manufacturer will inform you of a unofficial updated driver that may not
    be fully debugged, but they will allow you to have a copy with the
    caveat that it is not considered finalized (and never will be). They
    may also know of unofficial hacks, etc.

    You can certainly still voice your complaint, or see if they will offer
    you a trade up giving you some "good will" discount for your older
    printer. You can also threaten not to buy their product anymore if they
    don't support their older products.

    2) You can use your older computer, if you have one, and network it or
    make it your "printing engine" This may allow you to simply transfer
    files to it by intra or internet, or by disk swapping, and then print it
    using the old drivers on a system using the old OS.

    3) You can consider buying a program such as "Virtual PC" which allows
    you to run more than one OS under one machine. Depending upon the port
    configuration, you might be able to continue to use your older printers
    in a virtual environment.

    Probably for most people who have standard letter size printers, running
    a second system with an old OS may seem overkill in terms of redundancy,
    inconvenience, and upkeep, unless you wanted to network them anyway.
    However, for larger printers, like the ProXL, as an example, it is both
    costly to replace and slow, and having a dedicated system for printing
    may make sense if you have the space.

    Art

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > Don Phillipson wrote:
    >
    >>"Eric J. Comeau" <ejcomeau@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>My desktop computer died so I had a get a new one. I am now, a very
    >>>inexperienced XP user. The computer recognized my printer with the
    >>>right one but it will not print. All print jobs go in the queue but
    >>>will not go any further. I tried using the original CD that came
    >>>with the printer for win97 but it said that there are no drivers
    >>>selected or whatever. The original window with the ink gauges is
    >>>not coming up anymore. The printer does not seem to be
    >>>initializing. Can anybody help.
    >>
    >>Go to www.epson.com
    >>(and register your 600 printer if not done before)
    >>and look for printer drivers (free downloads)
    >>especially for Windows XP. (But this is so
    >>old a printer there may be none -- in which case
    >>you might get better advice in an XP.printing newsgroup.)
    >

    > You *are* an idiot! Use some common-sense! Why on *Earth* should there be an
    > XP driver for a decade old printer?!

    Hi guys, finally got my printer working, like you said it does not have the
    ink monitor but it works. Removed the printer and let it re installed and
    it worked. As far as Miss Perscpicacia Prick, it is people like you that
    are filling in the landfill sites and making this world un- inhabitable.
    Thanks to the other people, the world need more people like you.

    Eric

    "Eric J. Comeau" <ejcomeau@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > My desktop computer died so I had a get a new one. I am now, a very
    > inexperienced XP user. The computer recognized my printer with the right
    > one but it will not print. All print jobs go in the queue but will not go
    > any further. I tried using the original CD that came with the printer for
    > win97 but it said that there are no drivers selected or whatever. The
    > original window with the ink gauges is not coming up anymore. The printer
    > does not seem to be initializing. Can anybody help.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Eric

Printers Computer Windows XP Peripherals