MPEG4 Encoding cards

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
The GeForce 6000 series and higher can have encoding offloaded to them with special software.

There are also capture cards from DiVICO that can capture HD quality video (x64 driver exists for their 'Fusion' cards btw).

:?: What budget you looking at ?

:?: What purpose we talking ?
(eg: Capturing video via S-Video out, or just encoding video at a higher speed ?)

Psudeo related links of use:
- http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html
- http://film.nvidia.com/page/gelato.html

History:
My last 6 video cards were ATI, and before that a few nVidia ones (nV Riva TNT2 Vanta kicked the 3dfx Voodoo), but looking to move back into nVidia myself as GeForce 7900 GTX can do the FSAA level I want and surpass Radeon X1900 XT/X performance while doing it. Especially at higher resolutions.

FleurDuMal

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
The GeForce 6000 series and higher can have encoding offloaded to them with special software.

There are also capture cards from DiVICO that can capture HD quality video (x64 driver exists for their 'Fusion' cards btw).

I don't think any of the GeForce cards actually encode. That is still done by the CPU. However, those sporting PureVideo do have dedicated decoding for certain codecs, so playback of media encoded in a complex codec doesnt put strain on your CPU, and the playback is smoother.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I couldn't find anything of the Nvidia site about encoding.

But if anyone knows of hardware that can encode in h.264 I'd also be most grateful :)

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
They used to have a section on the site encoding video at over 100fps (way faster than real-time), and comparing it to Xeons.

Even searching for it doesn't show the results.....

Anyways, point is the Shader Model 3.0 cards can be programmed using 'Sh' for example, and video encoding applications are usually coded in C/C++.

'Sh' and C/C++ are very similar, so the routines that do the bulk of the encoding can be ported easily.

Checked http://sourgeforge.net and only a few basic projects there too.

I know Adobe Premiere Pro can offload to the GeForce 7000 series GPU to process certain effects, etc, and possibly the final video, very quickly considering.

:oops: - Sorry for the life of me I can't find the links on the nVidia site. During the MPEG4 buzz they had a whole section on it.

Could e-mail them and ask maybe ?

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Hauppage Computer Works have some TV VIVO boards that do both encode and decode. I remember there being cards that were more dedicated.

Pinnacle Systems' Products also have an array of digital imaging products, some of which also do encode-decode on the fly... even threw USB 2.0!

Depending on your needs/useage (you didn't give us all the information), Pinnacle probably has what you want/need, unless of course you need TV also.

I personally have an Hauppauge PVR-350 that allows TV/FM stereo/VIVO, and hardware encode and decode on mpeg4.

MadCraiZ

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I think the ATI 1x00 series cards use hardware assisted encoding. But I think you're limited to using their AVIVO Converter program.